Legs, Legs, Legs

I want jacked legs. Like, legs that can kick a tank apart. Legs that can hug Chuck Norris and stay intact. Legs that make Tina Turner run and hide. Legs that turn Xena the Warrior Princess and Beyonce into waifs in comparison. I want some legs. Ideas?

Btw, if I'm trying to build those muscles, is it possible that I can do so at home instead of at a gym? So far, I've been using circuit training fitness DVDs with hand weights that make you squat and kneel and jump and lunge and ..all the things. These focus mostly on toning. I'm okay with toning as I'm slowly increasing the amount of weight used, however, do I need to drastically increase weight for muscular legs?

Replies

• jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    muscle is built with lower reps, heavy weight and a calorie surplus.

squats, lunges, deadlifts, leg ress, leg curl, leg extension

Lots of exercises to build legs but a calorie surplus will be key if you wanna kick tanks around, that requires very juicy quads and glutes.

good luck
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    How much are the hand weights that you are using? I use 15lbs now (1 in each hand, so 30 total), but I find that this is not enough for the lower body, thinking about buying heavier weights for the legs, maybe 25 lbs or so.
    What about you?
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    insanity turned my thighs into beastly chunks of meat. and my calves are monstrous from DDR. I've had "man calves" since I was 14 and first started playing.
  • A lot lower than that to the point where I dun wanna post (but I'm going to suck it up and post anyway even though you guys are gonna laugh, but I was TONING), but the main point is that I'm improving. I used to use 3's and get sore, but keep in mind that it was circuit training and using multiple muscle groups--upper and lower--at the same time mixed with cardio. Then I moved to 5's. Then 8's. Now, I think I'm almost ready to move up to 10's and so forth. I'm using the two hand weights.

While I like seeing the results of toning, I really envy people with legs where you can actually see chunks of muscle groups. I figured that since I've always had bigger legs anyway regardless of my body fat percentage and weight, I might as well just make use of them. I just don't know if I can afford some giant fking barbells. Maybe I'd have to fill up a barrel and ...push it with my legs. XP Any exercise ideas for the home for legs?
  • insanity turned my thighs into beastly chunks of meat. and my calves are monstrous from DDR. I've had "man calves" since I was 14 and first started playing.

YES. So, I should try Insanity? Also, I used to play DDR. I wasn't ever really good though. I felt that the jump from light-standard was a bit ridiculous (light=too boring standard=barely passing) on my favorite songs. Unfortunately, my favorite songs had something like a million beats per minute and I would just get lost in arrows. (all the slower songs were too boring/annoying to hear. It's like...I just can't win.)
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    I always think those that bicycle have awesome, cut legs. It has made a big difference in mine and I really wasn't even trying for that. I like it though.
  • Pinupdollrawr
    Pinupdollrawr Posts: 137 Member
    An extreme cycling class where your tension is really high would help. If your Ito the weight training I say invest in an Olympic bar and some weights for it and start dead lifting , regular, straight leg and also squat with the Olympic bar that would help tons . :-) legs are a big muscle group and we use it daily . I think it's time we up the weights hunn. :-) good luck. Oh and all the advice here is good.
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    I've been training my legs for 2 years and they just don't want to seem to grow :( But we'll get there!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    yeah, gotta love legs
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Bust out the heavy weights! Like the other folks have said, low reps--high weight. I do it at home with an olympic bar and EZ bar and a basic set of plates.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    I dragged my 40 lb daughter around our yard in a snow sled yesterday (there's no snow):P and my quads were burning. Do you have a yard where you could push or pull heavy things? We have a huge tire at my gym that we can flip and it works legs and butt and everythign else. Just have to try to be creative:)
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Lifting heavy completely transformed my legs. They are like solid rocks. I lift heavy on legs 3 times/week.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I'd guess you'd have better results with a heavy barbell routine like Strong Lifts 5x5 instead of DVDs. But yeah, unless you have an Olympic bar, bench and squat rack at home, a gym is usually needed.
  • floridamike99
    floridamike99 Posts: 35 Member
    Yeah, cycling gives you that cut in the calf that you can't get anywhere else.
  • kelleygi
    kelleygi Posts: 650 Member
    Squats, lunges, running!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Try Gamma radiation:flowerforyou:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    have you tried the elliptical machine? apparently there are some women here that have gotten incredibly bulky legs from elliptical use
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    I'm no pro bodybuilder, but I do think I'm on the right track. I run, do wind sprints, stairs, lunges, jump rope, and play pick-up rugby. In my "youth" (haha) I lifted a lot of weights and my legs/calves looked big. They're smaller now...but I'll bet they're stronger too.
    909c40ea-8428-4ee9-9f4b-13edd71e3beb.jpg
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    I want jacked legs. Like, legs that can kick a tank apart. Legs that can hug Chuck Norris and stay intact. Legs that make Tina Turner run and hide. Legs that turn Xena the Warrior Princess and Beyonce into waifs in comparison. I want some legs. Ideas?

Btw, if I'm trying to build those muscles, is it possible that I can do so at home instead of at a gym? So far, I've been using circuit training fitness DVDs with hand weights that make you squat and kneel and jump and lunge and ..all the things. These focus mostly on toning. I'm okay with toning as I'm slowly increasing the amount of weight used, however, do I need to drastically increase weight for muscular legs?

I love everything this post chooses to be. Good luck in your endeavors.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Squats, bruv. Check 'em.
    764d429a55a6c0119d54a999c489d126_zpsa7ac78a5.jpg