Replies

• El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    I do that to anyone I pass....

This^^
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    I do that to anyone I pass....

Me too. I'm sure people find me annoying. I also say hello. I make small talk when I'm waiting in line.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    If someone walks by me while I am out I will smile and nod. I'm not a fit person, I'm polite.

this :) I do it also, to anyone I pass :)

but I am Canadian :P
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    I cropdust most people I pass (or at least as many as I can), but I only give the nod to certain people.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    as a runner, I experience this quite a bit when I pass other runners.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    I'm from California. If people smile at me, I get suspicious.

are you sure not from the East Coast originally? that was the vibe there but since ive moved west people are much more likely to smile here.

I've been born and raised mostly in SoCal. It's not a stranger friendly place at all. IMO.

interesting...i think most people feel the East Coast/North East is the less friendly region in the country....so when we move or visit other places they seem much more friendly by default.
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Last night while running i met a fellow runner on the street... we were running towards each other. Passed one another with a high 5 and kept going.

That's awesome!

Here it's general regarded as the polite thing to do (nod or smile) at anyone who is walking, hiking, jogging, running, biking on a trail....on the street in town not so much, but in a park or on a trail for sure.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    I usually smile at other people when I'm out running. It's not so much a "mutual respect" thing as me just trying to be friendly. But since I live in Silicon Valley, they usually don't even make eye contact with me :(
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Anybody else do this or do guys and gals who reciprocate this just think I'm flirting with them?

I'd get the 'nod', wave and a smile from fellow runners in canada and the states, but it's yet to happen in the UK..they just stare at you as if you are the enemy.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    I didn't know that it was only for fit people. I'll say "hi" to anyone who isn't on a cell phone, or mumbling crazily to no one in particular.

^^This. I say hi or smile at everyone I pass. Sometimes even people who are mumbling crazily.
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    I didn't know that it was only for fit people. I'll say "hi" to anyone who isn't on a cell phone, or mumbling crazily to no one in particular.

^^This. I say hi or smile at everyone I pass. Sometimes even people who are mumbling crazily.

^ They are likley sayin the same thing about you. ; P

I always give a nod and hello of and repect. If one is out there they deserve it, regardless of current shape.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I acknowledge everyone I pass regardless of fitness or age. Its just being polite. Now the other day on a very hot muggy day where no sane people were out, I passed another guy running & we both have a little extra nod & smile b/c of the conditions.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    I only wave to people if they are driving a corvette. It's part of the code.

Yep.
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    i also have the rocky theme on my phone for for the extra bits of encouragement. My neighbors love it. In the evening when working in the garage ill have ithandy for the walkers/runners/bikers in the hood.