Arrrggg I am not losing weight and am ready to quit!

2»

Replies

• I agree with all of the above.

Also, PB2 protein shakes, Sun Chips, Peanut Butter of any variety, Breyer's Ice Cream and Hot Dog buns are definitely NOT Paleo.

I don't know anyone who has gained weight while eating Paleo.
    Oops, I missed Shredded Wheat, Graham Crackers, Quarter Pounders withFfries, Lays BBQ Chips, and entire Olive Garden entrees including bread sticks and dessert.

Hmm, the days you do count calories, it is like the Junkasaurus Rex of Paleo.

Junkasaurus Rex....made me laugh but you are right. I am going to log what I ate yesterday and today...I think I am doing better now.

No worries. I have a buddy doing Paleo and she went and ate 5 pieces of cake and 6 pork tamales today. I got to call her that earlier. Honestly, it is about being diligent about logging. The more you log, the more you will get a view of which foods are working best for you. Good luck from now on!
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    You know what to do! Do it, and share your good news. We'll be here =)
  • If you nibble it, scribble it.

No matter what, even if you feel embarrassed about what you ate. And don't think "oh well I only had a bite or two of it..." doesn't count, because it adds up really fast without you even realizing it. If you have everything you consumed in a day laid out in front of you, it's a lot easier to point out the deficiencies. :)
    I love that! Nibble it, scribble it! I usually just put anything that goes in my mouth goes in my diary.

Except penis. No one wants to see that in my food diary.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    I agree with all of the above.

Also, PB2 protein shakes, Sun Chips, Peanut Butter of any variety, Breyer's Ice Cream and Hot Dog buns are definitely NOT Paleo.

I don't know anyone who has gained weight while eating Paleo.
    Oops, I missed Shredded Wheat, Graham Crackers, Quarter Pounders withFfries, Lays BBQ Chips, and entire Olive Garden entrees including bread sticks and dessert.

Hmm, the days you do count calories, it is like the Junkasaurus Rex of Paleo.

The-Paleo-Diet-1024x766.jpg

Junkasaurus Rex....made me laugh but you are right. I am going to log what I ate yesterday and today...I think I am doing better now.

Good on you for taking all the constructive criticism. Hopefully you can make it work for you.
  • kevindhaliwal
    kevindhaliwal Posts: 17 Member
    pb2 is bad?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

Obviously I was not eating paleo during this time. I haven't logged since I started doing paleo......maybe the current weight gain is from all of this crappy eating I was doing before.

If you are eating above your calorie intake, you are going to gain. Doesn't matter if you eat heathier, eat junk food, follow paleo, atkins, jenny craig, eat foods of only a certain color or starts with certain letters.

Log all your food. After a month, see where you are at.
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    pb2 is bad?

It's not Paleo.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    pb2 is bad?

Chomp chomp pachooey chomp
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    OP I know the feeling.

I'll chime in about my own problems.

I dropped about 45# by last September. Got trapped on a super evil plateau. I tried all possible combos, dropped calories, increased them, exercised more, exercised less, intuitive eating. Nothing happened one or two pounds shifted.

I took a break. It was a really long one. I didn't count calories. I exercised haphazardly. I regained basically 20# (give or take). I do have a unique issue, I am hypothyroid. And 3 years in, my levels still fluctuate. I went to my doctor and found my levels were off. This was around February. In the process of a new dose, but little has changed for me.

One thing I found, I could do all the right things and the scale will not show proress.

The best way to overcome this is to measure all types of progress. Not just weight.

How are your energy levels?
    Can you lift more weight?
    Do more pushups?
    Walk faster?
    Run longer?
    What does the tape measure say?
    Pants looser? Tighter?

It is best to have a whole host of measurements to track progress. And make sure at least one thing is improving. It is really easy to get caught up on the scale, but that isn't the only form of progress.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Thank you for the feedback!!!

I will start logging faithfully again.

Results come from dedication on all fronts, even logging. ;)
  • TamOzFit
    TamOzFit Posts: 5 Member
    Always log everything.....good or bad.....your only lying to yourself if you don't. If you mess up....tomorrow is a new day.... I am struggling with my weight loss....however....recording everything is an eye opener.
  • bbrownholtz
    bbrownholtz Posts: 3 Member
    I did gain weight on Paleo. It got me my fattest actually.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    What the others said. If you don't log your food, you don't know whether or not you are eating at a deficit. Considering your weight gain, I'd say you are not.

Log your food and exercise, faithfully and honestly, and you will see results.

I vote logging too. I started here not for calorie counting but for a "food log" to help me monitor what I was doing. There's a huge study going on with maintained weight loss - and one of the top factors that is common regardless of how the weight was lost is a food journal. That's why I'm here and I can tell it's making me see what I ate.

Paleo is fine - but maybe you need to journal and look for where the balance is off. I could see it the first day I looked back over my food. I didn't even care about the calories - I just looked and thought - yep, BAM that's it. Two rolls in one meal - seemed like an indulgence but it was just the start of a mini binge. Now I look at the calories too. I'm doing what I do and watching the calories (and carbs/fiber) for the sake of some control and balance.
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Then you weren't doing this because you loved yourself enough to treat yourself well and get strong?

I'd LOVE tho "quit", but what the heck would I do then? Eat 5,000 refined carbohydrates/day? YUCK, I don't think I could go back to that.

Go back to grilled cheese sandwiches with one ingredient, 3/4 of a pound of fried cheese? Nope I'm just not there anymore either.

So even though MY weight loss has slowed a bit during the last 2 or 3 weeks, there's nothing in my life to quit to, because I like this life so much better than what I was doing before.

I do Ovo-Paleo, and my life is sedentary, and I'm hypothyroid, and I'm old, and I get discouraged, especially recently, but I've looked at the other side of "quitting", and there's nothing that's going to drag me back into that. New me, new life, no "quitting"
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    I have a dumb question... Why are sweet fruits not allowed on Paleo? I started paleo and drifted to primal - but I didn't remember that part. Just asking out of curiosity.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    You got lots of advice on your eating...may I make a suggestion on your work-out? CHANGE IT. If it is getting "easy" as you said, you should change it up. Try something completely different. Try lifting, or a different cardio workout. Sweating is great, but it may not be enough,
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    I have a dumb question... Why are sweet fruits not allowed on Paleo? I started paleo and drifted to primal - but I didn't remember that part. Just asking out of curiosity.

Too much sugar. Bananas are also engineered foods that weren't found in nature in their current form. Other than that, I'm sure cavemen would have eaten a pineapple or monkey/fingerling bananas if they came across them.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Hi everyone! So I have been a member on MFP for a long while now. At one point I had lost 40 pounds but I have gained about 1/2 of that back.
    It seems like no matter what I do, I can't lose weight and I am about ready to just throw in the towel.
    For about a month I have been eating pretty clean, following Paleo guidelines. And I have gained 5 pounds. Don't tell me it's water or whatever because it's not. I just took my measurements and compared with what they were in April I have gained an inch everywhere.
    So I eat pretty good, and I workout. Typically 5 days a week, I do Less Mills Combat...I can get through the combat DVD's no problem, and still modify a lot on the PYLO workouts...but I sweat like crazy for 30-60 minutes almost everyday. I also squeeze in walks every now and then.
    But that is about it for my activity. I have a desk job, which requires me to sit on my behind 8 hours a day. I get up and stretch and stuff....but it's definitely not an active job.
    I need advice! What should I do? Should not do? Anyone gain weight on Paleo?

You can't quite until you give it your all. Track track track weigh and measure. Weighing is waaayyyy more accurate than measuring justy an FYI. Buy yourseld a digital scale. Know your BMR and east slight above or below that.

THen. When you are done. Slowly up your calories by 100-200 per day and on a weekly basis until you've reached maintenance. This, so you won't gain weight.