Substitutes for rice

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    i don't know about you, but i would feel very gulten if i fed my kids something that seems to have to same basic description as styrofoam
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    i don't know about you, but i would feel very gulten if i fed my kids something that seems to have to same basic description as styrofoam

mmmmmm :) yummy :)
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 284 Member
    I like rice:) I don't know any fat Chines, do you? :)

Sumo's? LoL... some people's bodies don't do good with the carbs. Like mine. Makes me crave, and bad mood swings. So I try to avoid it. Everyone's bodies are different.

Sumos are Japanese not Chinese:)
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    slim pasta or slim noodles. made of glucomman, a natural plant fibre. very filling, 8 calories for a pack.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Having no calories sounds more like a reason NOT to eat something. Substance, like carbs, protein, and fat, is what makes food taste good.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member

Yeah, You're right, they definitely seem to have at least a little gulten. I'd even feel gulten feeding it to myself.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member

1 cup of white rice has 204 calories, 0.5g fat, 44g carb (0.5g fiber) and 4g protein.

it's low calorie, satiating, helps give you & your brain ready energy, and even kicks in a modest amount of protein.

how is that "no nutritional content"? what is missing that would make you say that?

keep in mind, this isn't a personal attack, i am just trying to understand your perspective.

@BrainyBurro- are you perhaps the person previously known as Winner Victorious?
  • DebbieLyn63
    Why do people get so upset when some other people get creative with their food choices? Rice is a trigger food for me, so I stay away from it. However, if there is a rice dish that someone has figured out how to make with a substitute, why do so many people freak out when they talk about it?
    I'm sure the rice doesn't get its feelings hurt, so you don't have to feel sorry for it.
    I am a huge fan of cauliflower pizza. I make it often and has friends who request it regularly.
    I also like cauliflower just steamed, or mashed with Turnips and parsnips for some good fake potatoes. Throw some cheese on top and its even better.

Yes, cauliflower is a carb as well, but it is considerably lower in calories and higher in fiber than white rice or white flour.

because everyone gets all worked about "evil carbs" like they are the former soviet union or something...As long as you stay in your calorie/macro carb goal for day you will be fine...carbs at night, or carbs in general, or whatever are not going to make you fat...

Also, I do not understand how the cauliflower carb is somehow superior to the brown rice carb...???

When you are insulin resistant, or diabetic, you have to watch your total carbs. You also have to choose higher fiber carbs to help prevent spikes in insulin. Cauliflower has less starch than rice, even brown rice, which I personally don't like.
    I can have a lot more cauliflower per carb/calorie than I can have rice. 1/2 cup cooked rice just isn't very much.

If you don't have problems with insulin, then you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay in your calorie goal.
    For those of us who can't do that, it is very helpful to find alternatives.
    And a bit tiresome to hear all the naysayers whenever the subject comes up.

Are you insulin resistant or diabetic?
    Yes. I am insulin resistant, and my mother passed away a year ago from the complications of Diabetes. It runs in our family, and watching her die slowly over 3 years after her kidneys failed, was not a very pleasant experience. Definitely not something that I want MY children to have to watch me go thru. So if I have to get creative with my diet to prevent that, then I certainly will do what I need to do. And ignore those who think they know better.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Why do people get so upset when some other people get creative with their food choices? Rice is a trigger food for me, so I stay away from it. However, if there is a rice dish that someone has figured out how to make with a substitute, why do so many people freak out when they talk about it?
    I'm sure the rice doesn't get its feelings hurt, so you don't have to feel sorry for it.
    I am a huge fan of cauliflower pizza. I make it often and has friends who request it regularly.
    I also like cauliflower just steamed, or mashed with Turnips and parsnips for some good fake potatoes. Throw some cheese on top and its even better.

Yes, cauliflower is a carb as well, but it is considerably lower in calories and higher in fiber than white rice or white flour.

because everyone gets all worked about "evil carbs" like they are the former soviet union or something...As long as you stay in your calorie/macro carb goal for day you will be fine...carbs at night, or carbs in general, or whatever are not going to make you fat...

Also, I do not understand how the cauliflower carb is somehow superior to the brown rice carb...???

When you are insulin resistant, or diabetic, you have to watch your total carbs. You also have to choose higher fiber carbs to help prevent spikes in insulin. Cauliflower has less starch than rice, even brown rice, which I personally don't like.
    I can have a lot more cauliflower per carb/calorie than I can have rice. 1/2 cup cooked rice just isn't very much.

If you don't have problems with insulin, then you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay in your calorie goal.

Everyone on mfp has some type of special condition that makes them big. It has nothing to do with any of them eating too damn much...trolol

Wow. What a ray of sunshine you are. And what a model of understanding for those with health issues.
    Now if we were on a 1200 calorie thread, you would probably tell me that I was 'starving myself' and needed to eat more.

Just so you know, I gained my weight slowly over the years while eating between 1400-1800 calories a day. It doesn't take many calories to go over your TDEE when you are in a wheelchair from a spinal cord injury.

But go ahead and insult me without knowing anything about my situation.

And Diabetes runs in my family. I watched my mother slowly die from it last summer. She did good to actually eat 600-800 cals per day in her last years of life, without losing any weight. And because she chose to get all her calories from simpler carbs like rice, and crackers, and refused to eat proteins and higher fiber vegetables, her blood sugar levels stayed high. Her kidneys failed in her last 3 years of life. She ended up with bladder cancer that spread to her non functioning kidneys, having to endure 6 hours of surgery to remove the kidney and tumors. Died on the OR table twice.
    Her heart started failing and she had to had a pacemaker put in. Then a few weeks later, we were regretting having the pacemaker put in, because it kept her heart beating for several days after she was no longer really alive. Just laying in the bed, as her other organs slowly stopped functioning. Yeah, that was a great experience.

So no. I refuse to put my own children thru that torture in a few years. I choose to take better care of my health. To make better choices in what food I eat. And to find ways to get in any exercise I can.

So no, my mother didn't "eat too damn much". She just ate the wrong foods and eventually gave up on life because it was too hard.

Perhaps one day when you and some of the other rude posters on here have to watch a loved one go thru something like that, you will finally get a heart.
  • DebbieLyn63
    I usually try a smaller bowl of rice to replace the larger bowl of rice. Don't give it up. Just eat less of it.

If everyone had moderation down, we wouldn't need this site.
    For me personally, rice is one of the few foods that I have trouble eating in moderation. Chocolate, I have down, rice- not so much.

uh... buy a food scale and portion your meals?

uh... I do have a food scale and I do portion my meals. But apparently we aren't all as perfect as you are.
  • DebbieLyn63
    I usually try a smaller bowl of rice to replace the larger bowl of rice. Don't give it up. Just eat less of it.

If everyone had moderation down, we wouldn't need this site.
    For me personally, rice is one of the few foods that I have trouble eating in moderation. Chocolate, I have down, rice- not so much.

Huh? This site actually takes the difficulty out of moderation...

...or at least it does for me...

...but I will acknowledge, I could be doing it wrong.

Seriously? There has never been any food or beverage that you gone back for seconds on, or found it hard to resist having more than just 1 small serving? Wow. You truly are special. And perfect.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Everyone on mfp has some type of special condition that makes them big. It has nothing to do with any of them eating too damn much...trolol

Yeah, it's amazing how many people with rare metabolic diseases and women who put on muscle faster than men on the 'roids there are in one place. Shocking really. Almost defies belief!

Wow. I am used to the guys on here being the ones to insult the women with health issues, but most women have a bit more heart than that. Welcome to the forums. You will fit right in.
  • DebbieLyn63

A lot of people use this site to keep track of what they are eating for health reasons - not just for weight loss/ gain! Its a great tool for diabetics to see how regularly they are eating or people with food allergies and a great place to ask questions and get advice on eating with that condition.

I agree with tracking for diabetics..I TOTALLY disagree trying to get advice for a medical condition on a public forum.

If you have diabetes, talk to your doctor and don't ask a bunch of strangers who may or may not have diabetes or medical backgrounds questions that could potentially put your life a risk.

The OP wasn't asking for any medical advice. She simply asked what foods would be a good substitute for rice. Then all heck broke loose.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Seriously? There has never been any food or beverage that you gone back for seconds on, or found it hard to resist having more than just 1 small serving? Wow. You truly are special. And perfect.

I don't have any trigger foods... Well, Nutella, but it's really easy to just not buy it.

ETA: I'm not saying avoid rice or whatever the topic is actually about. Just that some of us don't have control issues.
  • DebbieLyn63

I don't have any trigger foods... Well, Nutella, but it's really easy to just not buy it.

ETA: I'm not saying avoid rice or whatever the topic is actually about. Just that some of us don't have control issues.

Apparently you have control issues with Nutella, so you don't buy it. I don't buy rice, since 1/2 cup just doesn't do it for me.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    I am curious to try cauliflower rice... does it have a strong cauliflower taste?

Not low carb but rice tends to bloat me and sit heavy in my tummy
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I am curious to try cauliflower rice... does it have a strong cauliflower taste?

Not low carb but rice tends to bloat me and sit heavy in my tummy

I suspect that the mashed cauliflower...er, I mean, the cauliflower rice has a *very* cauliflowery taste.

Just a hunch.
  • Seriously? There has never been any food or beverage that you gone back for seconds on, or found it hard to resist having more than just 1 small serving? Wow. You truly are special. And perfect.

Apparently you have control issues with Nutella, so you don't buy it. I don't buy rice, since 1/2 cup just doesn't do it for me.

Ms. Debbie don't take any of the negative comments personally. Do what works best for you. You are completely allowed to want to find an alternative for White Rice without being attacked. I mean according to this thread I'm Racist against all Asians. I see a lot of people gave some really great and useful suggestions. I hope they have helped you and all the negative responses haven't given you too much frustration, you shouldn't even feel the need to defend yourself. It was a simple and harmless question that didn't deserve the onslaught that pursued.
  • GrammyNanner
    GrammyNanner Posts: 88 Member
    We use Quinoa and there are so many free recipes online.
  • matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Bulgar Wheat lower in carbs and calories.

try making Tabbouleh with it