Chemicals: It's in everything, including "natural" food

Options
1235»

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    No, they're not. Actually I intentionally purchase kroger brand organic because I figure that does more to encourage mass agro to clean up a little. Like I said, I have no illusions about mass agro going away, but I also know that major corps can only be "encouraged" to clean up their act through a combination of bad PR and consumer support for better products, just look at Walmart, they're suddenly MUCH more intested in "doing the right thing", but it has nothing to do with them actually caring about what the "right thing" is....
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. still going to avoid as many added and man made chemicals as i can. :~) To err is human.. but nature is perfect :~)

Syphilis and Black mold are not man made.

Yum.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Some people on the natural approach are unaware that soy protein in many "natural" foods, has hidden MSG and Hexane is used to process it. Remember that when eating a soy burger.

http://www.cornucopia.org/hexane-guides/nvo_hexane_report.pdf

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Some people on the natural approach are unaware that soy protein in many "natural" foods, has hidden MSG and Hexane is used to process it. Remember that when eating a soy burger.

http://www.cornucopia.org/hexane-guides/nvo_hexane_report.pdf

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

They should really switch to n-heptane. It's a hexane derivative, but it's so much safer. It doesn't form the toxic metabolite hexane-2,5-dione.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexane#Uses

So many things can be done with hexane and it's derivatives. Cyclohexane is pretty much every budding chemist's first experiment.
  • lilyaqha
    lilyaqha Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I drink water from my private well. It tastes SO much better than the city water I get at work. I don't put any chemicals in it either.
  • lilyaqha
    lilyaqha Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    "ha! organic, it's ALL organic, it has long carbon chains!" YEA!!! LOL!

My neighbor sprayed his apple trees this year, because ALL the apples were nasty last year because of bugs. I don't think you get decent apples without spraying pesticides. Anyway pesticides work on the bugs nervous system, not a humans, so far as they know.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. still going to avoid as many added and man made chemicals as i can. :~) To err is human.. but nature is perfect :~)
    Trust me nature would have no problem with killing you. Man made does not mean evil and natural does not mean good. In fact I can't think of anything more indifferent to your survival than nature. There are hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, viruses, and bacteria. All of which could kill you dead as a door nail and the universe will move forward without a skipped step.

It is humans that will miss you. It is humans that come up with ways of protecting you from the damage that would otherwise be caused by the ravages of nature. We have constructed buildings to protect you from nature's fury. We have found ways to disinfect the purely natural micro-organisms that would rain havoc down upon your body. Many of these natural killers can waltz right past your immune system undetected or they are simply unstoppable. Man may err but nature is far from perfect.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I drink water from my private well. It tastes SO much better than the city water I get at work. I don't put any chemicals in it either.

Just be careful with it and get it tested for bacteria and whatnot once in a while. I'm sure the flavor is fantastic, but it could get contaminated with anything from viruses to your neighbor's bug spray.

Also, you don't always have to spray for bugs on apple trees. Some areas are just more susceptible than others. We had an orchard many years ago in Washington state that produced like mad. The only bugs you'd see were bees.