Sunflower seeds?

I love sunflower seeds in the shell, but I'm not sure how to measure a serving. The bag says a serving is 1/4 a cup of just seeds. How would you measure a serving in the shell? I don't eat the shell and don't really want to try to crack (with out eating) a serving just to measure it out. Since I enjoy them almost every day (yes I know they are high in sodium) I'd like to make sure I am adding enough calories to my log.

Replies

• lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    The bags of sunflower seeds I've seen will show calories for both. :/ Maybe try to find a bag like that to give you an idea?
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    I would think that the serving size on the bag is accurate for a 1/4th cup of seeds in the shell. If you don't feel confident, go to a nutrition database. just google "calories in sunflower seeds"
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    i recommend just weighing the grams it says is a serving and eat that. at least if it includes the shell you'll be eating fewer calories than it says.

and PLEASE try to get it without salt for your health!!
  • deniselynn13
    deniselynn13 Posts: 126 Member
    Can you simply buy the sunflower seeds without the shells? That's what i do. But get them UNSALTED!!! =)
  • cloza12
    cloza12 Posts: 68 Member
    I eat sunflower seeds every day too. 3 tbsp seeds in shell is 1 oz that comes out to 190 cals.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    I know this post is old, but in case anyone else runs across it I wanted to give a proper answer since none was given.

1/4 cup (30g) seeds equals 3/4 cup (60g) in the shell. It's listed on some packages I buy.

I always use this measurement and it seems to work out. Also, they sell small one serving bags in the shells at most gas stations that I've measured out and it usually comes to between 3/4 cup and 1 cup.

Hope that helps anyone who runs across this :)
  • mangobed
    mangobed Posts: 15 Member
    :smile: If you don't eat the shell, then buy just sunflower kernals... :wink:
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    But biting open the shells and spitting them out is the best part :happy:
  • lizakaz
    lizakaz Posts: 1 Member
    I weighed the seeds with the shell before eating it, then weighed only the shells and figured out how many ounces of kernels I've eaten.
  • Jdayter
    Jdayter Posts: 1 Member
    VERY EASY.. look at the servings per container. An average 5.25 oz bag of David jumbo sunflower seeds says 2 servings per container but 1 serving size is 1/4 cup. So simply divide the bag of sunflower seeds into two equal portions which should equal out to one cup each. This mechanism of measurement also applies to any other type of bag of food or food products look at the servings per container then divided into equal halves or pieces and that would be the serving(s). Your welcome.
  • rarroy
    rarroy Posts: 1 Member
    My bag says a serving is ¾ cup in shell which equals 30g kernels.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    I dont weight mine. I just guess, but reading this thread made me want to take my bag out of my desk and pop a few.
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Agreed... I'm a fanatic for them. This is why I struggle with my sodium intake.