Eat Dairy Queen...lose weight?

Curious question: I was not getting enough calories. Not coming close to my 1200 and adding my intense workouts was making my net intake really low (300-500). Been boosting up and eating more. This has worked, losing weight and feeling great in my workouts but tonight I was just way too low (like under by 700 calories), so I went to DQ and had a small sundae. Seems like a bad move...but I wonder.

Curious to know others thoughts about this.
I don't plan on making this a regular occurance....it is only ever a once a year thing. But I wonder, if your calories are too low, are you better to eat junk than to eat nothing (and I realize ideally I would eat some amazing calorie dense superfood...but I still would like to know...can junk have a place on an otherwise low cal day).

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    I had Dairy Queen last weekend. A small blizzard was 670 calories, so if you need more calories, that's one way to do it! But if you want to increase calories and give your body fuel at the same time, a protein drink would probably be a better option. Save the DQ for special occasions.
  • mittencat77
    mittencat77 Posts: 137 Member
    Wow! That would be the way to do it. Knowing that makes me a bit sad about how many young children in there were eating those.....I mean under 10, big blizzards to themselves. I don't have any protein drinks. My husband is a bit of a real food nut. IFor some reason he does not like the idea of the protein shake and has turned his nose up at it when I have suggested it. But maybe I should reconsider.. After all, he had dq tooand there was not much real about that. :)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Whey protein is made from milk. The process just removes all the liquid and leaves only the protein solids that are found in dairy. It is definitely real food.

I can't say that DQ is real food. They probably add HFCS to it at the very least. I just about fell out of my chair when I looked up the calorie counts on a small Lemon Meringue Pie Blizzard. The chocolate blizzards are even higher. I usually get a mini size when I'm having the brownie flavor, and the minis are nearly 500 calories for such a teeny tiny amount of food.

Heck, you could probably get your entire days worth of calories (and then some) with a large turtle sundae blizzard.
  • wisebuys
    wisebuys Posts: 51 Member
    Try nuts , walnuts, peanuts, almonds, cashews, pecans. All high in calories and good for you.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    God I used to work for Dairy Queen.

Protip: that *kitten* you're eating ain't ice cream. It's a virtual chemical plant of sugary slosh that comes out of a bin in the back. The little pumps it comes out of? Yeah, they get bugs in them...all. The. Time. I thought it was just my location...but I worked at another one once. Same damn problem. Avoid it at all costs.

I have to admit that DQ does a damn good burger though.
  • lingading
    lingading Posts: 259 Member
    Heck, you could probably get your entire days worth of calories (and then some) with a large turtle sundae blizzard.

Large Turtle Brownie Blizzard = 1250 calories 57g fat 118g sugar
    Mind blown.
  • lingading
    lingading Posts: 259 Member
    The little pumps it comes out of? Yeah, they get bugs in them...all. The. Time. I thought it was just my location...but I worked at another one once. Same damn problem. Avoid it at all costs.

^^There's your protein!
  • PepperWorm

Large Turtle Brownie Blizzard = 1250 calories 57g fat 118g sugar
    Mind blown.

And that's if the person preparing it follows the DQ formula exactly. Most of the time, they give monster portions just to be "nice." I know I did!!!
  • PepperWorm
    The little pumps it comes out of? Yeah, they get bugs in them...all. The. Time. I thought it was just my location...but I worked at another one once. Same damn problem. Avoid it at all costs.

^^There's your protein!

:laugh:! Beeeuuuuugh.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 307 Member
    Save the DQ for special occasions.

5:30pm seems pretty special...that only comes once a day 8)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    if it fits your macros...eat Dairy Queen! or Culver's. Or Baskin Robbins. or god help up...Five Guys burgers. I do!
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    When I am in desperate need for cals I head over to In-n-Out. A double double and a chocolate shake usually does the trick :happy: :happy:
  • katinaxo
    katinaxo Posts: 6
    Agreed... Protein drink is a MUCH better choice than DQ! That's a funny little idea he has there, lol.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    My husband and I eat Dairy Queen at least once a week. We go for smaller sizes though and only when we have the calories for it. We have both been successful at losing weight so far. I really like the cherry dilly bars.
  • PepperWorm
    You know what's good ice cream?

Real ice cream. Real, churned, full fat ice cream.

Ben and Jerry's. Cold Stone/Marble Slab. Bruster's. If you're gonna splurge, for god's sake, splurge on the stuff that actually tastes like ice cream.

ETA: I'm being blatantly biased and silly, btw. If you want it, EAT IT. I just refuse to 'cuz of the glorious experience of working there for 2+ years. lol
  • baileyaad
    baileyaad Posts: 19
    If you want DQ, eat DQ... that's my stance on it. There's no reason to deprive yourself of something that tastes good.

I love me a cappuccino skor blizzard. Do I eat one every day? No. But once every week or two is totally fine. Just make sure it fits in your day and you'll still lose weight.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member

Protip: that *kitten* you're eating ain't ice cream. It's a virtual chemical plant of sugary slosh that comes out of a bin in the back. The little pumps it comes out of? Yeah, they get bugs in them...all. The. Time. I thought it was just my location...but I worked at another one once. Same damn problem. Avoid it at all costs.

Thanks! You've just cured my DQ cravings!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Part of me hates these threads because it's going to start a fight clean eating vs. flexible dieting...

I do love ice cream though. Giving it up while cutting because for ME I've noticed that a higher sugar diet doesn't do wonders for me regardless of my macros.
  • PepperWorm

Thanks! You've just cured my DQ cravings!

:flowerforyou: Apologies!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    My takeaway from this is that you need to sit down with your husband and have a serious talk. He shouldn't be dictating food choices to you.