Crying today..... Advice needed. So sad!

Replies

• rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Sadly i suggest putting her down before she is in too much pain, do the treatment untill you fell it is time spend time with her and explain to your daughter that it is time to start letting her go. we had to take our 13 yr old blue healer in after he got bone cancer he had good days that looked like nothing was wrong other than the swelling in the leg but to see him on his bad days broke the kids hearts.
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member
    So so sorry to hear that...I can't really give you advice if it's only in the lympnodes a round of chemo can help (there are several options) and give you a few more months (year) all depending, talk to the vet and get their opinion. It a really hard decision to make as much as we want to hold on to them sometimes we have to let go...I've been there. *Hugs*
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I'm so sorry :(

I have 2 girlfriends who just lost her dogs to lymphoma, they were both amazing... their names were Matrix and Daisy - both pittie mixes. My one girlfirend did do treatments on Matrix and it had gone away but she went into remission ( I think that's what it's called? ) and it came back more aggressively after 2 months.

She explained to me that if you do treatments, it can prolong their life, but it will come back more aggressively everytime. It's aweful.

Daisy, I'm not sure what happened. I feel puky thinking about it.

I have another girlfriend that had her dog Rocky and he lived for about 2 months after he was diagnosed but he was really sick. She finally had to say goodbye because he wasn't able to control himself any longer in the apartment.

I was told if they are not suffering, let them live as long as they can. If they are suffering, you know what to do. I just had to put my angel to rest back in March so this really hits home for me. She didn't have cancer. I didn't know what she had until the autopsy was completed. It was the most devestating thing I've ever had to do. It's hard, but it does get easier as the days go by.

I wish you and your family ALL THE BEST and I'm SO SORRY! :frown:
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Sorry to hear about this. Praying that doggy's quality of life improves with treatment, should treatment become available, and that you have peace when the time comes to let him/her go.
  • Grace4DebraAnn
    Grace4DebraAnn Posts: 124 Member
    That is such a difficult situation to be in, I just had a friend who had to put her dog down due to cancer. We have a dog too, I could not fathem how difficult it will be when something like that comes up for him. We have had him since he was 4 weeks old and he is now 10. I miss him when he goes with my boys camping, the little noises that he makes and how excited he gets when we come home. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family and pup during this difficult time.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    I'm so sorry. It is hard when pets have to leave us. :flowerforyou:
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    So yesterday my dog was diagnosed with having cancer of the lymph nodes. The vet is 99% sure she has lymphoma, but took some slides of the inside of the tumors to send away anyway. Husband and I were gone for 2 weeks in Germany and Ireland and when we got back we noticed all her lymph nodes were swollen. Now she's vomiting and not eating. She is a 12 year old German shorthaired pointer. We got her when she was 7 weeks old. Not sure yet if chemo will help her or not. We need to talk to an oncologist to see if chemo is worth it for only a few more months. My 7 year old daughter is not taking this well and woke me up 3 times last night crying.

So now I'm crying just thinking about life without our beloved doggie. We will miss her so much.

Sorry, just needed to vent.

Lisa

Lisa, vent all you want. I am so very sorry this has happened, my heart goes out to you all.

xxx
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    I know what you are feeling, I lost two dogs within 6 months of eachother. The first was the one we had from puppydom and he was around 5 years old when his hip bones had fused causing him to be unable to walk or go to the bathroom and prior to that he had been suffering from epilepsy which cause his whole body to flail violently and to wet himself. We put him down and wished we had done it earlier to save him some pain. Our other dog we had adopted and he was about 7 years old when he passed, he had lupus and he was degrading quickly so we let him go with great saddness.

It's hard to make a decision that you think is right but when it comes down to it you have to remember how the dog will suffer if you are putting him through treatment to hold onto him longer while he continues to live in pain and sickness. If he will have good quality of life during treatment, as in he will barely feel sick, then I would go that way but if not it's better to not let him suffer.

Wishing your family the best, a loss of a pet is hard!
  • autumnpath
    autumnpath Posts: 72 Member
    I am so sorry to hear this.

2 years ago my dog Jack was diagnosed with lymphoma. He had been sick on and off for 6 months but did not show the classic signs of cancer so it was not until the vet finally did a blood test to see because he was dumbfounded as to why jack was sick, that we finally got the diagnosis. It has spread to his organs as well.

It was stage 4 and while Chemo was an option, the outcome was not good. I spent the rest of my time with him letting him know how much he was loved and saying my final goodbyes. 8 days later I had to let him cross the rainbow bridge because the pain was obvious and his stool had turned red from the blood. It was the hardest decision I had to ever make and quite honestly, I am still not ready to let another dog in my heart.

Now that you have the diagnosis, the decision to do Chemo is yours but for a 12 year old dog, its hard to decide. Chemo is expensive. Maybe the time could be better spent letting him be a dog and saying goodbye but dont prolong it. Dogs can and do cry, its a sign of pain. Once you notice the pain, let him go.

This post made me cry. Almost identical experience with my dog.....
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    I am so sorry. I lost two of my catsto cancer. We opted to not give them chemo. They were elderly. The chemo would have only given them a few months. It would have made them miserable. Making them stay longer would have been selfish of us - making the suffer longer because we could not let them go.

I know how hard it is. Much love and light and calming energies to you, your family and your precious doggie.
  • Awwwww, I'm sorry hun. I had this happen, too, with my 13 year old lab a couple of years ago. It's a personal decision on what you decide; however, we decided that chemo was not the best choice for him and us just to prolong his life when it most likely would be painful for him the entire time. We made him comfortable the last month and 1/2 of his life and when it was time we knew it.

It is VERY, very hard. Just love them while they are here.

Out of the mouth of a 4 year old:
    "Everybody is born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody and being nice, right?" The four-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Been through this too many times, Lisa, and it's never easy. Know that we're all thinking of you and yours, and do enjoy the time you have with her now.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    ::hugs:: dogs can be just like family. My brother sent $15000 to teat his doggie daughter to have her pass anyways. Surgery and treatment is a difficult choice (especially w older individual) be they two or four legged...
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    I don't know where you're at, but Google 'Pot for dogs'. There are vets that advocate giving pot to teriminally ill pets to make their remaining time better. It's said to stop the sickness and pain, allow them to eat and enjoy the remaining days left, and allows the transition to be smoother and less painful.

Good luck and stay strong.
  • Fitter_Mandy
    Fitter_Mandy Posts: 10 Member
    I hate hate hate this :( Our pets are our children. I would hate for you to spend lots of money when it most likely means less quality of life. I think it's time to make plans to say goodbye :( You don't want her to suffer :(
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Out of the mouth of a 4 year old:
    "Everybody is born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody and being nice, right?" The four-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."
    Beautiful and true!
  • cowboyfanje
    cowboyfanje Posts: 3 Member
    I am sorry to hear that, I lost my first Labrador in 2007 from Lymphoma, just like you, he was just shy of 12 years old and we had him since he was 10 weeks old. He died just 3 weeks after his lymph nodes starting swelling. The cancer spread so fast and in just 3 weeks, he could no longer breathe normal, high doses of steroids did nothing to slow the growth.

Like others have said, extending their life is to benefit you, not them, but when they can't breath, it isn't right for them as they are in constant pain. The best thing that can be done is to ease their pain and suffering even though you don't want to let them go.

The pain of their loss will never go away, but neither will the memories of the 12 wonderful years you had either... It has been 6 years for me, and just typing this is making me cry here at work as if it was just happening all over again.

Enjoy them while you can, but in the end, just cherish them and do what is right for them.

Good luck, it is never easy.. but an unfortunate part of life.... :'(
  • Embee_2311
    Embee_2311 Posts: 47
    What an awful time this clearly is for you! I feel deeply for you. I know the memories of your dog in your life are painful right now, but I'm sure in the future the love you shared will warm your heart :love:
  • ravegee
    ravegee Posts: 999 Member
    So sad sorry:frown:
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Im really sorry. I had to put my minpin to sleep at 17 years old. Had him since he was 6 weeks.
    I miss him so much. Im even drinking my coffee out of my MinPin mug right now. But to be honest with myself I really should have made the decision sooner. I regret letting him linger so long for my own feelings when he was suffering.
    I would give you a big hug if I could.