Low Carb Picnic Side Items?

gretchygirl32
gretchygirl32 Posts: 48 Member
Hi! I have a work picnic to attend this weekend, and I want to make sure I have something low carb to eat. Since I have to bring a side dish anyway, I figured it could be low carb. The problem is I have no idea what to take. Any ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Devilled eggs.....yum. :)
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    I don't know how far down the low-carb road you're going, but if you're allowing yourself tomatoes and green beans:

- parboiled green beans + oodles of cherry tomatoes cut in half + a bit of fresh garlic + olive oil + salt = delicious (had it at a cafe the other day)
  • gretchygirl32
    gretchygirl32 Posts: 48 Member
    Great ideas! Thanks! :-)
  • lifesigns64
    lifesigns64 Posts: 110
    Olives.. garganzo beans...pepperoni n cheese
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member

I second this idea.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Always good... Or you can do a nice broccoli slaw. I'd do a vinegar based dressing, not mayo.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    slice up sausage, put some goat cheese and an olive on top with a toothpick...yummy!

veggies and dip are a good one

deviled eggs, so good

prosciutto wrapped asparagus

bacon wrapped ANYTHING

look on Pinterest, there's tons of recipes on there.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Cole slaw?
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,751 Member
    A salad Nicoise without the potatoes, with tuna, eggs (anchovy is optional I love them but they aren't everyone's cuppa), and low carb green beans, olives, capers, tomatoes, spring onions and I sub steamed, chilled cauliflower for the potatoes. Grizzle of your favorite vinegarette on top and you have yourself a great meal. If Julia Childs says you can put just about anything you want on this then you can, make substitutions and have it your way.

Good for you planning this out ahead of time, those are the habits that get us to our goals :happy:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    cauliflower mac and cheese
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Fauxtato Salad!

Use any potato salad recipe that sounds good to you and replace the boiled potatoes with boiled cauliflower. I just made it this week, and it was so delicious. I followed a classic style recipe with yellow mustard, mayo, celery and hard boiled eggs, but I also added some bacon pieces and chives. I replaced the sugar called for with a small sprinkle of splenda. Just make sure the cauliflower is cooked to very soft.
  • kkveggie
    kkveggie Posts: 56 Member
    Caprese salad

Veggies and hummus

Mini quiches
  • Yummy ideas!
  • meowmisu
    meowmisu Posts: 44 Member
    tomato and fresh mozzarella salad. Halve grape tomatoes, add fresh mozz balls, shred up some fresh basil, finely minced fresh garlic and toss with some balsamic and olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste! Gets better as it sits a while and flavors meld.
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Grilled chicken salad
  • taidasrictar
    taidasrictar Posts: 100 Member
    Loaded Nacho meatballs

Yield: 16 meatballs

Serving Size: 4 meatballs

A low carb and gluten free meatball recipe inspired by my favorite snack, loaded nachos!

Ingredients

For the Meatballs:
    1lb. ground beef (80/20)
    1 egg
    1/4 cup almond flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp garlic powder
    3 Tbsp prepared salsa (sugar free)
    1 Tbsp pickled jalapenos, chopped
    For the Topping:
    1/4 cup prepared salsa (sugar free)
    1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
    16 pickled jalapeno slices
    2 Tbsp sour cream

Instructions

To make the meatballs:
    Combine all of the meatball ingredients in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly, Form into 16 meatballs. Saute in a large nonstick pan until golden brown and cooked through – about 3 – 4 minutes per side. Remove and set aside.
    To Serve:
    Arrange the meatballs on an ovenproof dish. Top with about 1 tsp salsa, and 1 tsp shredded cheddar each. Place under the broiler for about one minute or until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven, top each meatball with a dab of sour cream and a slice of pickled jalapeno.

Notes

Approximate nutrition information:
    per meatball naked: 81 calories, 6g fat, .5g net carbs, 7g protein
    per meatball with toppings: 93 calories, 7g fat, .8g net carbs, 7g protein
    4 meatballs naked: 324 calories, 24g fat, 2g net carbs, 28g protein
    4 meatballs with toppings: 372 calories, 28g fat, 3.2g net carbs, 28g protein

www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2013/05/loaded-nacho-meatballs.html
  • mushroomsontoast
    mushroomsontoast Posts: 118 Member
    Crispy fried chicken strips? - (strips of chicken breast dipped in beaten egg, coated in a mix of parmesan, paprika, garlic powder and s&p, fried in hot oil until golden)
    Good hot or cold, with low-carb dips (mayo & hot pepper, ranch, blue cheese, etc) :tongue: