Need Help Adding Pictures? Look here *tutorial with pics*

NeuroticVirgo
NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
edited September 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
[Staff Update... as of 2023, the content below in the spoiler is no longer relevant. Please see these posts for updated info on how to add photos:

Here is some info on how to upload a photo.

To your profile:
https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032273012-How-do-I-add-a-photo-to-my-profile-

In the forums:
https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032624231-How-to-post-a-photo-in-the-forums

Here are some other FAQ's that may be helpful too:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10567234/frequently-asked-community-questions#latest ]

Info from 2013 below in the spoiler:
Photobucket is still the easiest place to upload your photos and have them saved. They do require an account, but you will not get spam mail from them or daily updates like some other sites. (I've had an account with them for years)

I put a post together a while ago, but of course photobucket had to go and change their site all around. eye_rolling_smiley.gif Making the orginal post harder to follow and outdated. I've gotten some private messages on how to upload photos because the new site design throws people off, so I thought I would do an updated post.

Success stories are one of my favorite parts about MFP, especially with before & after photos, and I'd hate to see less stories over technical difficulties. So I hope this helps some of you out there. :flowerforyou:

First go to www.photobucket.com/‎ and create an account.

This is what you should see as you go through the steps to post your photos!

1) Front page. Click the upload button to get started.
001_zps3bc46e6d.jpg

2) Create a new album. You don't need to do this step, but it comes in handy if you upload more photos throughout your progress. *** Important - Do not put any SPACES in your album or file name of your photo.

d4eb9fa6-7245-41d0-86ec-e9a64215dabd_zpsd09c12f1.jpg

*** As a "quick fix" you can automatically have your photos resized when you upload them to 640x480 ****

29d3b13f-5152-4e30-9374-f61a0b5bf045_zps862bc830.jpg?t=1373437330

3) Most of the time if you don't go through the steps to resize your image, it will be too large and not show up correctly when posted.

004_zps43faf876.jpg

4) MOST of the time auto sizing to the 640x480 will be good enough, and you won't need to do any other resizing. If however you are trying to post an up close photo it may clip off more than you would like. In that case you would do the few extra steps below to get your photo to fit completely in the post. *This photo below shows you the difference between the sizes.

005_zps0ca8691d.jpg

5) This is how to resize your photo to the 550. While on the picture you want, click the EDIT button.

006_zps8736c5b8.jpg?t=1373435997

6) Once in the EDIT menu, click resize. You only need to resize the WIDTH to 550. Don't worry about anything else. Click APPLY. **When you go to save click "replace orginal".

007_zps15ecfe72.jpg?t=1373436244

7) Once you are done resizing the photo its time to post it (finally! right?). On the right hand side there is a list of links, you want to copy the DIRECT LINK.

008_zps5fdc493d.jpg?t=1373436352

8) On your MFP post you want to use this code for your picture to show up. It is [ img ] *link* [ /img ]
(no spaces)
009_zpsa39813a7.jpg?t=1373350985

**The reason I wanted to point out this whole %20 thing is because it can really irritate someone. lol When you have a picture or an album with a space in it, sometimes when you copy over the link, it will have a %20 where the space should be. If you don't fix this, your picture won't work!

9) Then repeat for any additional photos you want to use in your post!
0091_zpse112f2ce.jpg?t=1373350680

I am sure there are other ways to upload photos to the web in a size that fits, but this has been the easiest way for me. The code however is the same as long as you have the photo link. :)

Good luck! :drinker:

********And LAST BUT NOT LEAST....HOW TO DO A TEST RUN BEFORE POSTING TO A TOPIC!

Send yourself a message! Go to MY HOME > MAIL > Compose Message

And send yourself a message with the picture code in it (the [ img ] *link* [ /img ] code)

If it shows up in your message correctly, then it will show up on your topic post correctly.

Replies

• dessertlover27
    dessertlover27 Posts: 385 Member
    Thank you so much for taking the time to show us how! I am a klutz around these things and am tagging this to use later! Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Thank god for this.

3 years and most people don't read the posty already at the top. lol.
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Thank you for this! :smile:
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    sticky worthy
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    IMAGE_zps52de7019.jpg
  • fufi04
    fufi04 Posts: 471 Member
    I've been using the wrong link!
    Thanks!:happy:
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Bump
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    bump--someday I'll need this.
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 380 Member
    Bump.
  • bump
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    I've been wanting to use photobucket, but didn't know where to get it or how to start. Thank you so much for this tool. You made my day!
  • ReddHott77
    ReddHott77 Posts: 49 Member
    bump
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    question?

is using the direct link on photobucket suppose to include the in brackets?  I tried it this morning for the first time and I notice that the url did not include [IMG} on either end. So is everyone just adding it manually? I gotta know. thanks.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    HaleakalaNationalParkCratersunrise_zpsae5796ed.jpg
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    HaleakalaNationalParkCratersunrise_zpsae5796ed.jpg

Thank you for the easy to follow instructions...
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    bump
  • rdrkc
    rdrkc Posts: 11
    I need help with pictures too :smile: which should be apparent from the fact that mine is on its side... Funny thing is that it kind of works, as all of my weight loss efforts to date have gone sideways :tongue: I think I'll stick with it for the time being. It kind of amuses me.

I wish you luck getting your pictures in order and in the places you wish them to be :happy:
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Best Tutotial EVER! Way to go - new career path???
  • FindMyInnerAthlete
    FindMyInnerAthlete Posts: 61 Member
    Thank you so much for the tutorial! I can't wait to try it!
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    bump
This discussion has been closed.