Jogging /running

How does jogging/running help with weight loss.
Or does it actually help!
I've just stepped in to cover for someone for the great north run with only 6 weeks to go to the run.
I just want to no what the benefits are.

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    weight loss is due to a calorie deficit. Not running.

Running makes you awesome.

You will get self confidence, more endurance and the ability to eat a whole lot more.
  • BobbiG35
    BobbiG35 Posts: 15 Member
    Running is the only exercise that reduces the size of my lower body....plus it a great stress relief! :)
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    If you jog or run, you will burn more calories than just by sitting around. Therefore, if your calorie consumption is at maintenance or lower, you should technically lose weight. Yes, there are other factors that may keep you from losing, but I am just stating this at it's simplest form. There are a ton of benefits. I recommend searching the forums...there are lots of detailed posts.
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    Running helped me with the weight that I've lost. Plus its really therapeutic. I had better energy. My legs toned up and my waist and tummy disappeared. Unfortunately bad knees run in my family and I didn't do enough preventative things so I had to stop, but I'm slowly getting back into it. I love it. It's the only time I have to myself. :-) Good luck with your run!
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Exercise = calorie burn... Calorie deficit = weight loss...

Another benefit is that it has been scientifically proven that running makes you 100% more awesome.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member

You will get self confidence, more endurance and the ability to eat a whole lot more.

true that^
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    While I agree with everybody, please be careful. If you don't run, and all of a sudden you are training for a race, please do it safely. You don't want to get hurt or discouraged and then hate running forever.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Personal aesthetic opinion: people who eat at a deficit and exercise look hotter than people who just eat at a deficit to lose weight. I started C25K when one of the people on my friend's list posted her 20lbs lost success pics and looked amazing. I'd lost about that much and just looked smaller.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    In the off change this isn't a troll thread.

Running (or any kind of exercise for that matter) burns calories. It makes it easier to get yourself into a calorie deficiency.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    In addition to increasing your cardiovascular health, running builds muscle! More muscle improves your appearance! And as much as running is a "solitary" sport, there are so many social events built around running! (We have a free local Wednesday night Pub Run and its now up to over 135 participants!)

Also, when I focus on training for an event (like a half marathon) rather than just my normal 3-5 mile daily runs, I drop weight so quickly as my distance increases. It really is a great way to work out.

However, you MUST cross train to prevent injuries! I bike 20+ miles about 5-6 days a week and I also work out with weights. A strong core is essential to good running form.

Honestly, running is my least favorite workout, but the benefits far outweigh my dislike for it, so I stick with it! Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness...
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    all i know is it makes my stomach and tummy smaller and reduces my cellulite on thighs! and that's an A+++++++:happy:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Running is awesome exercise and it burns calories.

When I run I tend to lean out a lot faster than when I do other cardio. The added bonus is I actually like it. Unfortunately due to an injury which I am seeing the doctor about in a few weeks I haven't been able to run in over a month.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Running allows me to eat what I want whilst maintaining my weight. It has also reduced my resting heart rate by about 20bpm in one year.
    Besides, it's the one sport I am better at than my sister :bigsmile:
  • rachy_09
    rachy_09 Posts: 41 Member
    Thanks for all your posts. I actually when I get into it enjoy my run! And I don't think ill be able to run the whole of the half marathon but I'm gradually increasing my mileage after ever couple of runs I go alittle further! I like the idea of being awesome lol. If I'm honest I would like to get from running for this race to make it a new hobby! I have my wedding in 18 month n what I would give to get from my large 14 down to a small 12 you wouldn't believe so I hope this will help
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Running will make you live longer.

If you want to look good, its diet and strength training.

I've never seen a runner with a great body who didnt also do weight training.

Running is great if that's your joy, but if you look at people who ONLY run (and run a lot) they end up with not a lot of muscle mass, hunched shoulders, and (sometimes) joint problems. If you were overweight to start with the joint problems probably stem from that plus the impacts of high activity with a muscoskeletal system that is bearing more weight than it was designed for.

Sure, they are skinny and have generally have good muscle definition in their lower body, but running is just one part of the whole deal.

Running is the "brute force" tactic of weight loss. You are burning a ****load of calories and forcing your body to use whatever it can to provide energy for your run..often times that is lean muscle that is getting used because once you run out of glycogen reserves and start burning fat, your body can only convert fat to energy so fast. If you need energy faster than that (running) your body uses muscle mass. not good. *generally* they say it takes about 20 minutes to burn a healthy glycogen reserve..and in the mornings when youve just woke up you have very little glycogen, that's why early mornign runs are VERY painful and very rewarding in weight loss.

I may be wrong but that's my 38 years of observing people so take it as it is.
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member

Running is great if that's your joy, but if you look at people who ONLY run (and run a lot) they end up with not a lot of muscle mass, hunched shoulders, and bad joints. Sure, they are skinny and have generally have good muscle definition in their lower body, but running is just one part of the whole deal.

True dat! Add strength training and you will at least double the awesome.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    For some people it makes them think they burned more calories than they did, so they eat extra (more than burned off) and it stalls their weight loss. For most people it makes them feel better, sleep better, live longer, get better toned, fit in their clothes better, have more fun, be more social, etc.......

Just don't get injured!
    How does jogging/running help with weight loss.
    Or does it actually help!
    I've just stepped in to cover for someone for the great north run with only 6 weeks to go to the run.
    I just want to no what the benefits are.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member

Valid point
    Running is great if that's your joy, but if you look at people who ONLY run (and run a lot) they end up with not a lot of muscle mass, hunched shoulders, and bad joints. Sure, they are skinny and have generally have good muscle definition in their lower body, but running is just one part of the whole deal.

Sort of disagree with the generalization about bad joints. Not all runners have bad joints and as long as you are careful about posture, stride, and gait then you should never hurt your joints. The ones who have bad joints are usually the ones who run with poor form and strike wrong.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    "whole lot more"

not so sure about that statement. When I could run before my knee injury hopefully temporarily stalled this particular exercise, I could eat a whole 134 calories more a day. I wouldn't call that "a whole lot more".