Jogging /running

2»

Replies

• SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    "Sort of disagree with the generalization about bad joints. Not all runners have bad joints and as long as you are careful about posture, stride, and gait then you should never hurt your joints. The ones who have bad joints are usually the ones who run with poor form and strike wrong."

Youre probably right about that. ill edit my post if I can
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Exercise = calorie burn... Calorie deficit = weight loss...

Another benefit is that it has been scientifically proven that running makes you 100% more awesome.

Running= exercise...

add strength training and your awesomeness goes galactic!! :happy:
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Running is one of the biggest bangs for your buck. It builds endurance and mental stamina. I LOVE it! I helps with all my other workouts too. TIP: A good comfy/supporting pair of running shoes are a MUST.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Running makes you awesome.

You will get self confidence, more endurance and the ability to eat a whole lot more.

Agreed. Running can make you feel like a warrior and help clear your head, it's great :) Also, some studies say that running helps with weightloss in the sense that unlike most cardio, it helps to reduce hunger after working out.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Running has increased my stamina....:blushing:

Also, great for clearing my mind, turning around a bad mood, and while you can't actually spot reduce, I feel like running is what has finally got my thighs shrking a big.

BUT, without strength training, I dont' think my running would have progressed as well as it has and I think my posture would be a lot worse.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Sort of disagree with the generalization about bad joints. Not all runners have bad joints and as long as you are careful about posture, stride, and gait then you should never hurt your joints. The ones who have bad joints are usually the ones who run with poor form and strike wrong.

There are studies that suggest the runners actually are less likely to have joint problems. Running is not the actual reason behind it, it is more attributed to runners being in better physical shape, lower body weight, and they tend to scrutinize what they eat more than their counterparts.

I love running because I love to eat!! Running is the easiest way to burn calories for me, so the more I run the more I get to eat!!!
  • Dina09a
    Dina09a Posts: 3 Member
    Heya, can you explain what eating at your deficit means?( I know sounds stupid)
  • rachy_09
    rachy_09 Posts: 41 Member
    Ok thank you so much for all the posts really making me feel better about my running. And like it will help my overall appearance and fitness BUT big question everyone mentioning strength training. What exactly is this, what do I do, sorry I'm clueless
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Thanks for all your posts. I actually when I get into it enjoy my run! And I don't think ill be able to run the whole of the half marathon but I'm gradually increasing my mileage after ever couple of runs I go alittle further! I like the idea of being awesome lol. If I'm honest I would like to get from running for this race to make it a new hobby! I have my wedding in 18 month n what I would give to get from my large 14 down to a small 12 you wouldn't believe so I hope this will help

I used Hal Higdon's half marathon train program to get ready for my first half in Key West! (Then I actually got to meet him at the race too! Pretty cool) You can download it for free at www.halhigdon.com
    You might surprise yourself and complete the whole thing! Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    "whole lot more"

not so sure about that statement. When I could run before my knee injury hopefully temporarily stalled this particular exercise, I could eat a whole 134 calories more a day. I wouldn't call that "a whole lot more".

You weren't running very far then...I get a good 320ish with 3 miles in about 30 minutes...and that's a pretty light day.
    Ok thank you so much for all the posts really making me feel better about my running. And like it will help my overall appearance and fitness BUT big question everyone mentioning strength training. What exactly is this, what do I do, sorry I'm clueless

you need to do resistance training...i.e. hit the weight room. The biggest mistake people make is just doing tons and tons of cardio and ignoring their muscular development. You've hear the term, "use it or lose it" I'm sure. This is very true when it comes to your LBM, particularly if you're dieting and when you're doing a lot of cardio.

Muscle is a very expensive "commodity" for your body to maintain...it requires a lot of energy (calories)...so when you neglect to use them, your body assumes you don't need to maintain that really expensive mass and your body cannibalizes your muscle for energy along with the fat. Not only does that not look very good in the end and leaves people at a "healthy weight" but higher BF% relative to what it could/should be, it also reduces your metabolism...increased LBM = increased metabolism...decreased LBM = decreased metabolism.
  • th?id=H.4870837555431718&pid=1.7&w=123&h=166&c=7&rs=1
    weight loss is due to a calorie deficit. Not running.

You will get self confidence, more endurance and the ability to eat a whole lot more.

/thread
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    weight loss is due to a calorie deficit. Not running.

I love what this poster has said...I totally agree! I lost my weight through diet...but running has really helped me maintain and has become like a religion for me. Plus....eating is fun. And if you give it time...running is fun too!
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member

Lifting weights/body weight exercises, etc. Join a strengthing class like bootcamp or crossfit if you are unsure where to start. For me, that route was cheaper than the personal trainer, and I didn't like going to the gym alone. Now that I know what I'm doing I'm comfortable with it.