reading while at the gym, really?

Replies

• 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Can't read while doing cardio ---- if I did I would totally ruin the book with sweat.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    I find the stationary bike and elliptical mind numbingly boring. My kindle engages my mind while my body works it a** off.

On the treadmill, I only use my iPod for music. I'd fly right off that thing if I tried to read and run at the same time.
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    I have tried so many times to read while i'm on the treadmill but I can not do it! I would love to be able to catch up on some reading while i'm walking/jogging I just can't do it lol
    But like a lot of other have said at least they are up and moving :smile: a bit jelly I can't do it thought :grumble:
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    I've done crosswords while running an 8 minute mile on a treadmill. Maybe you can't concentrate enough to read, but that sounds like a personal problem to me... For some people, running on a treadmill just aint all that mentally challengin.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    My knees are wrecked, so I can't do intense treadmill workouts, and even elliptical workouts have to be pretty careful for me. In that case there's really nothing to "concentrate" on and I can read away.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    I can read when I'm on more stationary cardio equipment, like a bike or an elliptical. I'm not sure what I would really need to concentrate on while I'm on a cardio machine. As long as my heart rate is up and I'm moving, my legs do the job themselves.

^^This^^

Last night I read 2 1/2 chapters of my book while working out, and got benefits from both. I lost .8 pounds during that workout, got my body moving, and used my time efficiently.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    In my humble opinion, if you are reading book or watching a tablet while at gym then said person is not working out hard enough and/or are not concentrating on routine.

I'm so sorry that what other people do is detrimental to your own efforts. Shame on them for making your workout less effective.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    when I was studying for exams, I would prop a handful of notecards on the treadmill/bike/ski machine and take the opportunity to memorize them
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    If you saw me at the gym weight room with my iPod, you would probably think I am just watching goofy YouTube stuff. What I am really doing is logging my workout on SL5x5 app, watching Rippetoe form videos, recording my own workouts and reviewing them between sets in order to improve form.

I leave the reading for in the bath tub after a long, hard workout.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    I find reading while walking so productive, that I plan on getting a treadmill desk. Now I just have to figure out the typing part.
  • sekhmet13
    sekhmet13 Posts: 49 Member
    I study for school on the bike, it keeps me distracted and makes time go faster. I do glance up every now and then to make sure my pace is still good though.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    If I didn't read on a treadmill I'd never make it as long as I do.

That being said, there's a guy in the weight room who always carries a copy of Mein Kampf and reads one of his many highlighted passages between sets. I'm not sure if he's doing it to get a rise out of people, but it seems to be a good way to force yourself to take a break between sets.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Judgie! I read my kindle while on the stationary bike. It lets me read while still moving- which makes me happy. What people at the gym don't see is the hour and a half of hot yoga I do at night or the free weights I play with in my basement. Or the running, hiking, swimming... you get the idea. The gym isn't the only place to work out, and that person who is "slacking" may be doing other things elsewhere.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    I run on the threadmill, no way I could read. There is this woman that always does inclined walk and she always has her book with her. I don't think there is anything wrong with that at all :)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    If I can read while working out I'm not working hard enough. If I'm trying to push myself I need music with a driving beat, nothing else will do.
  • KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    I tried that once when in school to study. Couldnt pull it off. But, hey if you can multi task like that more power to you!
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    My mom takes her Kindle to the gym and I see older men reading the Newspaper quite often. The people who do this are probably aiming to keep their mind off the fact that they are in fact exercising. I don't see it as a fail, I see it as a win. The could easily be doing the same thing, but sitting down. At least they're moving.

don't you think they would have better progress/results if they concentrated on their routine for an hour?

Or they might have no progress or results because the gym is beyond boring to some people. If bringing a book makes it an enjoyable experience, there's a way better chance they'll actually go.

Pretty much this. Some people aren't at the gym to give it 110%, they don't care about body composition or carb cycling or going to failure or all that advanced mumbo jumbo. They just want to get in some of their recommended daily activity. And if bringing a book/tablet helps them from being mind numbingly bored, then more power to them. My advice to those it bothers is to stop being such an elitist.

The only issue I would have is if it makes it unsafe. Personally trying to a read a book while running on a treadmill is nigh impossible without falling off. On a stationary bike or something though, totally works.
  • phw426
    phw426 Posts: 92 Member
    Whatever works for you "just do it"....
  • rachelwarner32
    rachelwarner32 Posts: 96 Member
    I read on the elliptical and burn about 600 calories in an hour. For me it covers the timer/calorie counter and it seems like my time flies by. Sometimes my book is so good I go over my original goal. It's no different than watching t.v. For me it's the only time I read because at home I have 2 children that don't let me have a moments rest.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    I guess those huge TV screens in front of the Elliptical machines and treadmills at the Y are counterproductive, too, huh? :bigsmile:

I don't know how anyone COULD read if running on a treadmill, but I'm sure not going to judge anyone who reads while walking on one. How do I know they aren't simply cooling down from some class, lifting session, or some other higher impact workout?

On the odd occasions when I am a gym, I'm more concerned with MY stuff than what anyone else is doing. But then, this is why I have my rack, weights, elliptical, and stationary bike at my house...so I DON'T have to go to the gym. :wink: