Do you believe in ghosts?

Replies

• EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    I don't believe in ghosts but I'm afraid of them.

That just means my emotions overrun my logic when I'm scared.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    My theory is.... if you allow yourself to believe, you're more likely to come across the spiritual world

If you don't believe, then you don't see/hear it. You're not open to believing, so then you're less likely to be influenced by the paranormal.

Just my two cents.

So if you want to, you will see it. Otherwise it doesn't exist.

Sounds legit.

Kinda how faith works, you know? You can't prove God doesn't exist...but believers can "prove" He does exist. And weirdly enough, vice versa.
    [/quote

Actually nobody can "prove" in the existence of god, other than as a widely held delusion.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Nope. All we are is flesh and bone. Sometimes I feel really spooked but it's all due to chemicals and environmental factors.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    The Bible on the death of humans:

"When they breathe their last, they return to the earth, and all their plans die with them." - Psalms 146:4

"For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even their name is forgotten." - Ecclesiastes 9:5

It sure doesn't sound like they're up and around bugging people, remembering their past lives or plotting revenge. You know the stuff that makes up every piece of ghost folklore ever.

In a nutshell dead is dead.

[edit] Most major world religions aren't really compatible with ghosts for a variety of reasons. There are some belief systems though that are basically chock full of spirits and dead ancestors watching over you and whatnot.

I'm pretty sure you missed a few things. The bible discusses how we shouldn't try to contact the dead, referring to living spirits.

Also, there was a specific ghost mentioned in the OT. The ghost of Samuel, called by the Witch of Endor.

I don't know what this means, but I'll assume it is hilarious.

Just an actual biblical reference to a ghost that was mentioned in the Old Testament.

The bible also contains references to dragons, sea monsters, and zombies. Fun stuff.

I must have missed all that. Hmmm. Do you have references? I want to read up on zombies.

i thought zombies was what the whole book was working towards, no? i think it's orthodox christians that believe that in the end times, all the world's dead bodies, the actual remains, are what move on up.

to op, no, there are no ghosts, and your husband is messing with you.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member

"When they breathe their last, they return to the earth, and all their plans die with them." - Psalms 146:4

"For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even their name is forgotten." - Ecclesiastes 9:5

It sure doesn't sound like they're up and around bugging people, remembering their past lives or plotting revenge. You know the stuff that makes up every piece of ghost folklore ever.

[edit] Most major world religions aren't really compatible with ghosts for a variety of reasons. There are some belief systems though that are basically chock full of spirits and dead ancestors watching over you and whatnot.

I'm pretty sure you missed a few things. The bible discusses how we shouldn't try to contact the dead, referring to living spirits.

Also, there was a specific ghost mentioned in the OT. The ghost of Samuel, called by the Witch of Endor.

Just an actual biblical reference to a ghost that was mentioned in the Old Testament.

The bible also contains references to dragons, sea monsters, and zombies. Fun stuff.

I must have missed all that. Hmmm. Do you have references? I want to read up on zombies.

The sea monster, Leviathan, is referenced in the book of Job. Dragons and zombies are referenced in Revelations. It talks about the dead rising up and people looking at them in fear and awe.

http://www.openbible.info/topics/zombies

http://www.zombiesarecoming.com/2011/01/02/zombies-in-the-bible/
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    creepy-8.gif

Was this from a movie? What actually happened in that scene?
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member

Was this from a movie? What actually happened in that scene?

Appears to be from a short.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6flB0XvmTo
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member

Here's a tiny bit of The Word (from The Bible) about "Zombies, dragons and sea monsters...

So-called Zombies (of a sort...though The Word calls us "sinners" and those that continue in their sin, are death while they yet live, so something like "Zombies" some of these "living dead" are also called saints--not because of their good works or deeds, but because they dared to humble themselves and acknowledge y/our sin against God, y/our rebellion and hatred of Him and His Rule and Reign over us and humbly accept His Way, Truth and Life--Jesus and God forgives us not because of us, but because of what Jesus has done for us and saints believe this by Faith so we are called saints (small s)...not zombies--I reckon the ones who died in the sins and experience "The Second Death" could be called zombies though--check it out:

1 Thessalonians 4 (King James Version)

13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
    15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
    16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
    17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

And...

Revelations Chapter 20 (KJV)
    11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
    13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Dragon(s) There are many references to "the dragon" and dragon in The Word, but here's just one:

Revelation Chapter 12: (KJV)
    7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
    8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
    9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

Sea Monsters

Read The Book of Jonah and...also search out Leviathan

Isaiah 27...
    Isaiah 27

King James Version (KJV)

27 In that day the Lord with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea.

2 In that day sing ye unto her, A vineyard of red wine.

3 I the Lord do keep it; I will water it every moment: lest any hurt it, I will keep it night and day.

4 Fury is not in me: who would set the briers and thorns against me in battle? I would go through them, I would burn them together.

5 Or let him take hold of my strength, that he may make peace with me; and he shall make peace with me.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member

Here's a tiny bit of The Word (from The Bible) about "Zombies, dragons and sea monsters...

So-called Zombies (of a sort...though some (like The Bible and me :smile: ) some of these "living dead" are called saints (small s)...not zombies--I reckon the ones who died in the sins and experience "The Second Death" could be called zombies though--check it out:

13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
    15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
    16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
    17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

And...

11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
    13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Dragon(s) There are many references to "the dragon" and dragon in The Word, but here's just one:

7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
    9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

Sea Monsters

Isaiah 27...
    Isaiah 27

King James Version (KJV)

27 In that day the Lord with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea.

3 I the Lord do keep it; I will water it every moment: lest any hurt it, I will keep it night and day.

4 Fury is not in me: who would set the briers and thorns against me in battle? I would go through them, I would burn them together.

5 Or let him take hold of my strength, that he may make peace with me; and he shall make peace with me.

Thanks for quoting that work of fiction.
  • kimbtaylor1
    kimbtaylor1 Posts: 210 Member
    I do. I've seen several over the years.
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    With the popularity of ghost and possession movies, do you believe in ghosts or supernatural stuff? Have you experienced something that you can't explain? What are your experiences? Do you have pictures?

I have included a photo of a picture my husband took on his cell phone late one night. Yes, I understand that there are apps that insert images in photos. But if you blow up the photo I have included, there is no disturbance of pixels and you can see right through the object in the photo. This happened when my husband was taking photos of our living room because he was using the "night vision" on his phone. My husband's shorts have been tugged on in our bedroom. Our laundry soap on the dryer has fallen off the dryer when it wasn't even running. We have heard the toilet seat drop and our children were in bed and everyone was asleep. This actually happened in our bathroom and not our children's bathroom.

166124_669972363291_1400247_n_zps324c2eb5.jpg

Sounds like your husbands pranking you, thatd be pretty hilarious lol.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member

So-called Zombies (of a sort...though some (like The Bible and me :smile: ) some of these "living dead" are called saints (small s)...not zombies--I reckon the ones who died in the sins and experience "The Second Death" could be called zombies though--check it out:

And...

Sea Monsters

Isaiah 27...
    Isaiah 27

King James Version (KJV)

My honor and pleasure sir. One person's fiction is another person's Truth...just as one person's trash is another person's treasure. Thank you so much for taking the time to read it too. :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :wink:
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
  • emzypemzy93
    emzypemzy93 Posts: 185
    I'm a scaredy cat....looks like I won't be sleeping tonight after seeing those images.

:noway:

I'm with ya on that one! No sleep for me tonight!
  • emzypemzy93
    I believe in ghosts and that picture is scary as hell!
    My mum used to see things all the time when she was younger
  • emzypemzy93
    I think ghosts are demons in disguise
    The more tragic the death the more likely the spirit will show up
    That's what I think..
    I think that when people die they go to heaven or hell
  • marilynx
    marilynx Posts: 128 Member
    long ago people thought comets were signs from the Gods. we know thats not the case anymore. anything that is unexplained now will someday be as simple as that.

What about things like possession?

exactly...long ago people thought when someone was acting weird it was demonic possession..now we know its mental/psychaitric disorders that cause it.

What about the explanation for knowing a foreign language that they had never studied?

that has never happened.

Are you sure about that?

It could be possible, especially if you heard the language when you were a baby being spoken. Sometimes I have dreams entirely in Spanish or Portuguese, and I'm not fluent in either one of the languages. If you're talking about something like Tongues though, naw. That's just as spooky as ghosts, spirits, zombies and clowns.

LOL.

You think Pentacostal churches are "spooky?"

Just curious. No judgement.

ETA: I do not go to a Pentacostal church, for reference. My church is non-denominational, and I've never been to that particular denomination even for a visit.

Yes, I do. Buuuuuut, I would rather not go into why it is. Not the proper place.
  • Naywifey07
    Naywifey07 Posts: 74 Member
    Yes, from personal experience. At my old apartment when I went into one of my kitchen closets I would occasionally feel a cold breeze and when I turned around I saw something tall and white... From my eyes I think it was a ghost or a spirit. Whatever it was it scared the heck outta me:noway:
  • marilynx
    marilynx Posts: 128 Member

And...

Sea Monsters

Isaiah 27...
    Isaiah 27

King James Version (KJV)

My honor and pleasure sir. One person's fiction is another person's Truth...just as one person's trash is another person's treasure. Thank you so much for taking the time to read it too. :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :wink:

Meh, I wouldn't go so far as to call it a work of fiction. I will say though, that a book that's responsible for justifying slavery, genocide, murder and destruction should definitely be re-evaluated for its validity. The Bible is highly symbolic. There were no real dragons, sea monsters, or zombies, ghosts, spirits, nada. Clowns are real though. That's about it.
This discussion has been closed.