Running 3 miles!

Options
So when I started trying to lose weight (kept my own food journal for 4 months-30lbs before I found MFP) I could barely run a mile. Ok honestly time, I could barely run half a mile. I built up weekly and I've been doing 2miles fairly steady. Now I am trying to get to three miles and I am stuck at a 2 miles and a half!! I'm about to go for 2.6 on my lunch break so wish me luck!

If you have any tips on how to build your stamina or get the most out of a run, please share!

Replies

• meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    So when I started trying to lose weight (kept my own food journal for 4 months-30lbs before I found MFP) I could barely run a mile. Ok honestly time, I could barely run half a mile. I built up weekly and I've been doing 2miles fairly steady. Now I am trying to get to three miles and I am stuck at a 2 miles and a half!! I'm about to go for 2.6 on my lunch break so wish me luck!

If you have any tips on how to build your stamina or get the most out of a run, please share!
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! I starting increasing my distance several months ago and am doing my first half marathon in September. When I was first starting to add the miles I told myself that I was going to run for 1 hr straight. Didn't matter how slow, I was just going to run for that long. I run REALLY slow, and usually go 5 miles in just over an hour. Oh, and MUSIC!!! Running is SOOOO painfully boring on days I forget my ipod!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    try mapping out a route on mapmyrun.com that is 3 miles and try to stick with it. At 2.6 miles you are almost there. you can do it!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Maybe do what Sherry said about mapping a 3 mi run and then running all that you can and then walking / jogging alternately the remaining portion. Keep doing that till you can run the whole thing then map yourself a 3.5 mi route and do the same thing...

Just an idea... coming from someone who LOATHES running... :laugh:
  • daildarr
    daildarr Posts: 2
    Options
    remember it is Okay to walk a little to catch your breath and don't forget your water and music. I started out a year ago running about 3 miles a day, I am now up to anywhere from 6-10 miles a day and 21 miles on either Sat. or Sun. You just need to listen to your body and give it a little push each work out. Starting out a little slower on your jogs will also help keep your staminia up for your longer runs
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I used the couch to 5k program (easy to google). I just ran 3.35 miles for the first time in my life. I also mapped my run. Seriously, the only way I made it was pretending I was taking little bites out of the road. I ran to a point and then picked another goal point to get to. Eventually I was so close to my goal it would have been stupid to give up! The last 200 yards I kept chanting " I will not walk, I WILL NOT WALK!" The neighbors thought I was crazy, but I did it.:laugh:
  • phillipm
    phillipm Posts: 1
    Options
    i kinda ran into the same problem with my runs and i got through it with a garmin forerunner 205, https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=348. it gives you alot of data to help improve your speed and distance.

you can chart your data on your pc with the software that comes with the forerunner.
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    Wow guys thanks for the advice. I especially like the maping out a route thing. I've been running on a track so I can keep up with ditance and then at the end tell myself "Come one, its just a few more laps" but I prefer running outside. I'm too ADD to look at four walls go past the whole time. :happy:
  • lisarae
    lisarae Posts: 113
    Options
    I am in the same boat. What is working for me is cutting up a run. That is, run to a specific landmark and walk. Walk to another landmark and then pick it up again. The next week, pick new landmarks. I run in a cemetery. Morbid, I know, but I pick new headstones every week! :embarassed: I'm getting there.

58910.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    So many good helps in that. I agree with the give yourself a little push. I find if I push it just when I think I can't, bam I did it just that much further. And I always say "OK, at that stop sign I am going to run the entire way till the next stop." Or stuff like that. It gives you time to get ready and then I find that last mile or two becomes way easier. Eventually with that little push and a nice weather day you will get it!
    Good Luck and what do you do that you get to run at lunch? Wish I could do that when I am working.
    SM