holy cow i TAUGHT zumba tonite!!

Options
i never expected this to happen! weeeeeeee!

first of all i have to say that i am addicted to zumba, which is a high energy latin aerobics dance class (and videos you can get for home)

ive been going to classes three days a week for about 10 weeks or so, and before i decided to go, THIS was what i wrote to someone:

"im a little anxious about going. Im not very shy until it comes to exercise. Im not very coordinated and i feel funny doing stuff in front of people. My whole life ive stuck to things i know how to do already, like swimming and hiking. Exercise Anxiety, what a strange feeling!!"

and today, I TAUGHT the class!

Our awesome teacher had to be out due to a death in her family. No one wanted to go home without a workout, so when i walked in, thinking i was a bit late, about five of the other regulars were standing in a circle and waved me over. "Fran can't be here today, and we want you to lead us through class"

wow!!! yay! lucky for me, i just bought the zumba cd and had been practicing on my own from memory a little!

i even burned more calories than normal today being the teach!

Replies

• iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    i never expected this to happen! weeeeeeee!

first of all i have to say that i am addicted to zumba, which is a high energy latin aerobics dance class (and videos you can get for home)

ive been going to classes three days a week for about 10 weeks or so, and before i decided to go, THIS was what i wrote to someone:

"im a little anxious about going. Im not very shy until it comes to exercise. Im not very coordinated and i feel funny doing stuff in front of people. My whole life ive stuck to things i know how to do already, like swimming and hiking. Exercise Anxiety, what a strange feeling!!"

and today, I TAUGHT the class!

Our awesome teacher had to be out due to a death in her family. No one wanted to go home without a workout, so when i walked in, thinking i was a bit late, about five of the other regulars were standing in a circle and waved me over. "Fran can't be here today, and we want you to lead us through class"

wow!!! yay! lucky for me, i just bought the zumba cd and had been practicing on my own from memory a little!

i even burned more calories than normal today being the teach!
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    good for you!! What a great feeling :happy: :happy:

The nice thing is you almost always burn more when teaching. Love it!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    thanks minnie! i really did have a blast, and dripped sweat like i never had before!

i still can't believe that in two months time, i would develop a love for cardio like i have never had before!

I am also active with pilates and a little yoga. I am working to be a stronger, more efficient mover.

inspired am i! Thank You Jesus!!
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome!! I am interested in that class, just have to save up to buy the CD's. They don't offer it at our little gym. But it looks so cool.

CONGRATS!! It's not sweat - its sparkling -ha ha ha
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Go Emily!
    woo hoo!
    how exciting!!!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    thanks guys!!
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Congrats I always found it hard to do exercise in front of people too. It must feel great to not only do it but be the lead. Congrats again. :drinker: :drinker:
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Holy Cow is right! I didn't know what Zumba is so I went to Youtube and watched it and I say more power to you. I don't know if I can even make my body move like some of those moves! But Congrats if you are good enough to teach it! I might pass this one along to my daughter as she is always looking for new cardio workouts. No gyms close enough by for me to go to one.
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I think it's so cool to see people gain confidence as they change to a healthier way of life. Way to go! :flowerforyou:
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    again, you guys, thank you so much!!
    The folks on this site are what inspired me to go get my butt moving in the first place!

Tonite at pilates one of the ladies greeted me with 'hey zumba teacher!" it made me feel great! I've never been in a real dance class, however i have learned a ton of choreography in middle and highschool show choir and then in the jazz ensemble i sang with in college... either way, i never ever saw myself as a fitness leader of any kind so i still cant believe it. Thank you guys for all of the encouragement!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    OMGOSH!!!

That is AWESOME Em!!!
    I wanna be in your class!! I wanna!! I wanna!!

getsmiley.php?show=4547
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    well well well! you are looking at the one week teacher for Waynesville Rec Centers Zumba class! i taught again today and will be again on Friday! wow!
    i spoke with the reg. teacher, who is a very awesome chick, and she is actually flying all the way to Cali. for the funeral, and said she trusted me to handle it!

wow! im a natural born leader, but not usually when it comes to dancing of any kind. Lucky for me i was born with good rhythm, but what i dont have going for me is grace. Im learning how to be more graceful, but im still pretty clumsy. LoL

anyway, i thought you guys might wanna know that, so yay!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    oh i forgot to mention that in this class alone, i burned close to 1000 calories!!

(that may be cheating, i was at about 700 when i left the gym, but my heart rate stayed up so i let it keep counting...i usually take the hrm off when i get back down below 100, and by that time i was at 998 calories!)

i worked to eat enough calories today, thinking i was going to both strength training and zumba, but i cant teach that class, and the same chick teaches it, so we didnt have class. I think im still a little below, but i did have half of a cookies and cream shake today!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    So what are you waiting for?? Get certified!!! My sister is a Zumba instructor in SC. She is pretty famous over there. People love her classes. She is going to the conference in Orlando in October and she is staying in the same hotel where the founder is staying at. They are having a Halloween party one night. My instructor here in TX is also going to the conference. He's met my sister. Zumba is awesome!!! I would love to teach it but I really do not have the time nor the money to get certified right now. :flowerforyou:
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    i've had a couple of people tell me that so far! I'm not sure yet, but it certainly sounds like a good thing to look towards, seeing as how zumba has changed my self-perception in a life changing way..in just ten weeks!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Em, you are on a roll honey!

I agree, get certified, get your own studio started and be the best Zumba instructor EVER!

I am very very VERY proud of you sweet Em.

Keep up the awesome job Ms. Zumba Thang!

~Joanna:flowerforyou: