Stem Cell Burgers?

jigenigma
jigenigma Posts: 25 Member
I'm just curious, what do you all think of the "test tube burgers" that are coming out? Here is a link to an article about them...people are talking about how these burgers will rid the world of factory farms, and inhumane treatment of animals. I'm not sure if I would eat one still: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17113214

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,340 Member
    I think they seem a little scary. And it seems sad to me that people are so unwilling to give up their meat that they are willing to eat this weird frankenfood.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 456 Member
    I' not even a strict vegetarian and I would not eat it. Sounds completely disgusting to me!

"These strips (of beef muscle) will be mixed with blood and artificially grown fat to produce a hamburger" Ewwww :sick:

I prefer to eat plants for health reasons but the whole kindness to animals thing is a nice bonus too :heart:
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 328 Member
    I am torn - 90% of me is disgusted and can't understand why people simply won't eat less meat - but 10% of me acknowledges that that will never happen and I guess it's better than killing billions of animals.
    I, for sure, wouldn't touch it!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,194 Member
    Morally, I'm all for it, but I don't think I could make myself actually eat it. At the end of the day, it's stll muscle tissue, and that's still gross.
  • elispeli
    elispeli Posts: 103 Member
    I think they seem a little scary. And it seems sad to me that people are so unwilling to give up their meat that they are willing to eat this weird frankenfood.

Thank you!

I personally am vegetarian because of morals.
    In my ideal world, no one would eat meat unless they live in a place where they must to survive (actually, in my ideal world, that place wouldn't exist). So how do you explain being so addicted to meat you just cant. stop. eating. it? It's just weird. And really gross to me. Ew.

Not only could I not eat this stem cell meat; I wouldn't want to.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 467 Member
    Way to creepy :noway:
  • Luvmyhubby222
    Luvmyhubby222 Posts: 190 Member
    I am also torn. People will not give up meat. Although as a vegan I wouldn't eat it, I am all for anything that saves having to torture, rape and slaughter millions of animals. And since it would greatly decrease methane production, it would also help with global warming. More research is needed, but if you got the texture and taste right, then made it cheaper than the "real" thing, I think people would eat it.
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 180 Member
    I haven't read too much about this, mainly because it seemed to gross to click on the link!

That being said, as soon as I heard about it, genetically modified foods come to mind. I just think it's weird people are willing to put such artificial things in their bodies. I mean, it was meat grown in a LAB.

I'm glad I'm a vegetarian so I don't even have to deal with it!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,537 Member
    I've been hearing about this for a long time and am really excited about the progress. I don't know if it's something I'll eat a bunch of myself, though.

Let's face it - the masses are not the most intelligent and thoughtful people in the world. They will eat whatever Safeway places at eye level with a red price tag telling them it is a deal. If production can ramp up on this product and become cheap, sh*tty processed food companies will fill it with sugar and spice and things not-so-nice and market the hell out of it. People will put this on their sandwiches. Less animals will be tortured.

Win.
  • HurricaneLindsay
    HurricaneLindsay Posts: 73 Member
    I've been hearing about this for a long time and am really excited about the progress. I don't know if it's something I'll eat a bunch of myself, though.

Let's face it - the masses are not the most intelligent and thoughtful people in the world. They will eat whatever Safeway places at eye level with a red price tag telling them it is a deal. If production can ramp up on this product and become cheap, sh*tty processed food companies will fill it with sugar and spice and things not-so-nice and market the hell out of it. People will put this on their sandwiches. Less animals will be tortured.

Win.

Yes! I'm with you.

World production of meat will not be able to keep up with consumption. Lab grown meat will become cheaper, healthier and more readily available than murdered meat. This is better for all of us.

(But I won't eat it.)
  • jesusHchris
    Oh - something I had not thought of: it could be used in pet food as well. Something that I know a lot of vegetarians / vegans struggle with is the dilemma of keeping a carnivore as a pet. We love our animals but wonder about how many others must suffer to continue feeding them.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,778 Member
    It's strange - but if it saves animals then let 'them' eat it...not for me though.
  • smsquash
    smsquash Posts: 41 Member
    Ecologically, eating as low on the food chain as possible is much better. I try to eat simple, plant-based, unprocessed and local/in-season as often as possible, and this doesn't really fit into any of those categories. Ultimately, as the population grows and the bio-productivity of the earth struggles to keep up, people are just going to have to stop eating as much meat. This is the carbon/fossil fuel/renewable energy issue played out in food instead. I don't think this burger is going to revolutionize anything. Seems like a silly first-world solution to appease those who can't let go of their attachment to a certain lifestyle. In other places in the world, people eat less meat and stretch what they have further. The simplest solution is to follow suit, and adjust our diets and lifestyles instead.
  • mabbzie
    mabbzie Posts: 173 Member
    Yuck. No way. I didn't even read the article... I don't have to. The name of this thread was enough to put me off.
  • I'd rather eat a *kitten* sandwich.....:bigsmile:

The very idea of putting artificially grown meat in my mouth makes me want to vomit..literally. I gotta think of something else. :sick:
  • jesusHchris
    In other places in the world, people eat less meat and stretch what they have further. The simplest solution is to follow suit, and adjust our diets and lifestyles instead.

Right, but we have to think realistically. People eat meat and are not going to stop. They already obviously don't know or care where the meat comes from. Why not grow it in a lab?
  • smsquash
    smsquash Posts: 41 Member
    I suppose realistically, I don't believe that we will be able to continue at our current levels of consumption, of food and otherwise. It probably isn't going to be a choice. We couldn't feed the world the American diet, even if that were the goal. It uses too much energy, too much water, and too much land for far too little output. It's incredibly inefficient, and pretty soon, it just isn't going to be an option.

I'm guessing that a $300,000 burger produced in a laboratory does not come without a boatload of resource and energy requirements, and I'm saying it's a pipe dream if we think things are going to go on as they have indefinitely, especially with climate change, the erosion of huge percentages of the world's topsoils and the current unsustainable consumption of potable water.

The world is a finite place. We get closer to bumping up against it's biological carrying capacity with every birth. Lab burgers that rely on a ton of energy and technology are not going to feed the world. What will feed the world is localized food systems producing simple, low-energy nutritious foods for the masses, maybe supplemented with insects. A steady supply of meat is a first-world luxury, and one that will go away as more and more people divide up the existing resources.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 293 Member
    I read the article & think that it's still animal exploitation whether the animal is dead or alive. The whole idea of growing lab burgers is repulsive. I'm vegan & wouldn't eat it anyway. But, the whole idea of lab growing any food that would probably have tons of chemicals in it is out of the question. I like my food more on the natural side. True, I do eat some processed foods but prefer non-processed foods.
    I love all the fruits & veggies we have this time of year: peaches, plums, zucchini or any squash, apricots, strawberries, blackberries, grapes, etc.
    I have to remember that it's to each their own.
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 95 Member
    I read about this the other day. The only positive thing that popped in my mind was in explaining why they were doing this, they explained the whole methane gas problem, and being able to continue to provide meat for the planet being impossible. I was excited with that particular message getting out there.

Other than that, I couldn't help but think - "gee, we aren't going to be able to supply meat at current levels in the future... what should we do??? A) eat less meat, encourage a plant based lifestyle and educate the masses as to all the benefits of that lifestyle? or B) grow meat in a lab and push that?
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 223
    Definitely didn't read the link just based on the title (and filtering through the comments).

If it saves animals, then it's a good idea? And if people are willing to get the negative consequences (health/karma/what have you) from meat (whether it be grown in a lab or not), then let them do it I guess. I think educating people about how to reduce the amount of meat and still get great meals (mushrooms instead of meat? win!) would be better than frankenfood but it's hard to educate a population where if you "threaten" their freedom to do whatever they want to themselves/the environment/their family they will totally retaliate, it's probably just a futile attempt.

Didn't think I was going to get as negative as that but hey there you have it :)

ETA: I believe in eating less meat to no meat but I do not actively shame/hate on meat eaters; I just offer anyone who comes to my house a plate of tofu, veggies, beans, etc. and try to convert them through kitchen love <3