Women who weight train! (Men are ok too!)

Hey everyone!

I'm not new to MFP but I created a new account and I'm looking for like-minded people who know the importance of weight training in dieting and generally in their life. I started weight training in a boot camp class when I worked in NYC and I loved seeing my body change and the muscles I gained. I continued to use weights outside of the classes as well. I completed a mud run this past May and I was so happy to say that I did it!

I recently moved to Upstate New York so my boot camp classes are gone and all that's left is me doing my thing at the gym.

I'm not trying to meet a goal weight exactly, I have a goal body fat percentage in mind of about 20-22%. I want it to be maintainable and something I can be proud of! I want to strut my stuff in any bikini I find and not have to "suck it in."

If anyone is like me and wants a better overall physique and the number on the scale itself isn't as important, please add me! I'd love to have more people to talk to about it :flowerforyou:

Replies

• yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    I recently moved to New York (originally from here but left for a while) and joined a gym and started strength training. I'm terrible at it right now, but working hard and hoping to work my way up to lifting heavy someday, hopefully sooner rather than later… though of course at a reasonable pace.

My original goal weight was 50kg and then reevaluation, so it would be great if I was able to hit 50kg, but I honestly care a lot more about body fat percentage. My goal is somewhere between 18%-21%, whatever I feel looks best on my body when I get down to it.

I also do cardio to keep a balance and am starting C25K today in an attempt to find cardio I enjoy more, but tend to prefer strength training and things like yoga/pilates.

Feel free to add me if you'd like (and don't mind a beginner).
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    I would love a new MFP friend.

I go to the gym every weekday morning and do a combo of weight training and cardio. I am not too concerned with the number on the scale. I always say...I don't care what I weigh as long as I can fit into my jeans/shorts/dress..whatever. I have been weight training for about a year now and have started to really increase my weights in the last 3 months or so. Heavy weights, less reps kind of thing.

I would love to do a Spartan race one day or a Femme Fit or something of that nature. I really admire you for doing a mud run! Way to go!! Must be a great feeling of accomplishment...I can imagine it would be a little addicting as well!

I will send a friend request!
  • I've recently started doing Stronglifts 5x5 and I'm loving the challenge and the feeling of putting the weights up every workout and feeling stronger. :) I'm aiming for a body fat percentage of 18-20%, think I have around 20 lbs more to go to get there if I maintain all my muscle. I've lost 30 lbs so far and hardly lost any muscle so I'm looking for friends for my final stretch. I'll add you. :)
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    lifting with a trainer as well as running c25k.eat mainly primal/paleo and would be very happy to have a new lifting friend.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Here . Feel free to add
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Me!
  • pullem
    pullem Posts: 87 Member
    feel free to add me :)
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Hey hey! I do body weight excersises as I have some weird skeletal things that stop me from doing free weights etc but I love it! My BF% goal is also about 20-22% and I would love more lift minded friends!
  • Jennjo322
    Jennjo322 Posts: 74 Member
    Hello! I love to weight train and always looking for new friends who like to interact with it! Am adding you and anyone else who wants to add me feel free
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    do machines count... ??? i'm going to start strong lifts 5x5 next week so excited :)
  • brandyme
    brandyme Posts: 400 Member
    I absolutely could not go without strength training, I think it's something that women tend to neglect way too often. We need the muscle to burn that fat and tone up, who cares what the scale says, I care how my body feels and how my clothes fit.

I have been doing strength training aggressively (5x a week) for the last 6 months and have seen amazing results. I now fit into clothes that I wore when I was 20 pounds lighter than I am now, the difference is now I am much more muscular, where as before it was mostly fat.

Anybody can add me. I would love to have more friends who see the value in strength training.