The perfect running shoe?

2»

Replies

• AlwaysanOptimist
    AlwaysanOptimist Posts: 15 Member
    Personally, when I run, I like to wear Puma Mostro trainers. Mainly because I find it's like running with comfortable cushions attached to my feet (and they're perfect shape for me)! :)
  • lblert
    lblert Posts: 55
    I have a high instep, as well, and I found that lacing my shoes with an alternate method (I do straight lacing on my newest pair) helped make my shoes immensely more comfortable.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Head to your local running store and ask to be fitted. They will watch you "run" and discuss your running with you then have you try several shoes. Each time you will "run" in order to see if they fit well and feel comfortable. Don't be afraid to ask a million questions! I am only saying that because the first store I went to was an awful experience (no help and made me feel like I didn't belong) but the latest one was amazing! I don't look the runner part but that latest store made me feel like one!
    No offense but it really annoys me when people always respond with this. Not everyone has a local running store. Mine is either an 8 hour ferry ride away or a 2 hour ferry ride and a 3 hour car journey so I had to find my running shoe by research and pure luck.

then you don't care enough.

Simple as that. And ultimately just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean that isn't the correct answer (Spoiler alert- it is)

no one can just tell you off the internet what's best.

get off your "I can't drive that far" high horse.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Help! I've tried so many didn't shoes, but always end up with the same results! can anyone tell me what is the best shoe to go running in that my feet can enjoy?? I have a high instep, size 6, my height is 5 ft 7 in. Help me pretty please!! Thank you!
    Have you gone to a specialty store (not Foot Locker, etc.) and had your gait evaluated?

There is no one perfect running shoe since pronation and all of that is different for everyone.

Personally, I like Brooks. But that is the shoe I was fitted for that works best for me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Head to your local running store and ask to be fitted. They will watch you "run" and discuss your running with you then have you try several shoes. Each time you will "run" in order to see if they fit well and feel comfortable. Don't be afraid to ask a million questions! I am only saying that because the first store I went to was an awful experience (no help and made me feel like I didn't belong) but the latest one was amazing! I don't look the runner part but that latest store made me feel like one!
    No offense but it really annoys me when people always respond with this. Not everyone has a local running store. Mine is either an 8 hour ferry ride away or a 2 hour ferry ride and a 3 hour car journey so I had to find my running shoe by research and pure luck.
    Well good for you, then. But how do you know the shoe you found willl work for someone else? How are we random strangers on the Internet supposed to answer this question when there is no single correct answer and it depends on the individual?
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    i agree with getting fittted, but if that's not possible, go with Brooks. i love them,, have had lots of other brands, but none compare. i think i like my nike the least. (for running, they are fine for everything else)
    I love my Brooks. Started two years ago with Brooks "Ghost" for my walking and now that I'm doing C25K I just got Brooks PureFlow2 and they are fabulous.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    runnersworld.com has a shoe-fitter, where it asks about your pronation as well as your arches. It was pretty spot-on with my shoe needs.
  • runningonmargaritas
    runningonmargaritas Posts: 69 Member
    I agree about runner's world if you don't have a specialty running store. http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor

A few times a year they have a great visual guide in the magazine.

I have run in Brook's Adrenaline GTS for a few years.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    I don't believe there is any "perfect" running shoe as everyone is different in their gait, stride, etc. Get thee to a running store and get analyzed.

That being said, my gait is weird! LOL I start off supinating on my heel and then roll into a neutral position. I've found that for me Sauconys are best. My last pair were Saucony Omni 9s and right now I'm sporting the Saucony Guide 6s and I LOVE them.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member

How far away is the nearest podiatrist or sports MD? You'll be seeing them soon if you end up with the wrong shoes. Not trying to be snarky, I'm serious and I speak from experience. I could have bought several pairs of nice shoes with my medical bills this year (and that's just the copays).
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    I'm just going to repeat what others have said about going to a specialty running shoe store to get fitted. Best $110 that I ever spent.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    No, none of us can tell you.

Go get fitted. You need a shoe that works with your foot, your stride, your weight, and your mileage.

exactly!
  • ammjr71
    ammjr71 Posts: 13
    Nike Lunarglide are my favorite!

Nike-Lunarglide-3-Black-Pink-2.jpg

They are extremely light and comfortable and breathable.

I STRONGLY second the Lunarglides. I have a pair and have close to 500 miles on them right now - still going strong. I use the Nike+ running app if you're wondering how I know that fact. Anyway, very light, very comfortable and durable. But like others have said, you really need to try on a bunch and see what you like. Good luck!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member

How far away is the nearest podiatrist or sports MD? You'll be seeing them soon if you end up with the wrong shoes. Not trying to be snarky, I'm serious and I speak from experience. I could have bought several pairs of nice shoes with my medical bills this year (and that's just the copays).

You are right, the wrong shoes will hurt us, but....LOL....presently, as far as I know, there has not been a shoe manufacturer that will declare or can provide a conclusive study supporting the concept that their overpriced motion control- cushioned-arch supporting shoes prevent injury. The fact is that modern running shoes cause runners to run with bad form, weaken the foot, and cause secondary injuries.

From my reading & experience, I "GUESTIMATE" that over 90% of runners could discard these shoes and run injury free. (excluding abrasion, cuts, bruises)

The running industry has sold us pigeons a fable and keep us buying bogus products that nurture our dependance. The alternatives are not much better as the minimalist shoes are poor quality and the soles will quickly wear out.

I am not advocating jumping on the road barefoot/minimalist style, but I do advocate doing the research and slowly transitioning if you feel this style is something you want to try. It has improved my life as a runner.

As a previous poster so accurately stated, it's not the shoe but the technique.