Is bread bad?

12346»

Replies

• SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Bread is yummy. How can it be bad when it tastes so good? :)
    Moderation.
  • organic0gf
    organic0gf Posts: 87 Member
    Bread is not bad. I eat gluten free bread. Mostly it's made from a rice flour blend and does not contain wheat. If you aren't gluten sensitive, whatever makes you happy!
  • organic0gf
    organic0gf Posts: 87 Member
    Can you explain what a "fat to burn ratio" is? I've never heard of this before.

Meaning bad carbs (High GI) are more likely to pack on fat at a faster rate. Good carbs (low gi etc.) get burned off b4 they can get to that stage.

I'm not sure about this. A low GI number is less likely to cause a sugar spike and takes longer to digest, usually including complex carbs. A high GI number is more for simple carbs and causes a sugar spike, thus is digested quickly. It also may cause you to get food cravings from the rapid crash from simple carbs, like sugar. When all is said and done, count your calories. Sugar spike or no, calories are what matters.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Bread is evil. It murdered my family.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member

Meaning bad carbs (High GI) are more likely to pack on fat at a faster rate. Good carbs (low gi etc.) get burned off b4 they can get to that stage.

I'm not sure about this. A low GI number is less likely to cause a sugar spike and takes longer to digest, usually including complex carbs. A high GI number is more for simple carbs and causes a sugar spike, thus is digested quickly. It also may cause you to get food cravings from the rapid crash from simple carbs, like sugar. When all is said and done, count your calories. Sugar spike or no, calories are what matters.

Agreed. I did some reading a while back on GI as a diet tool and I got the strong impression that experts agree that it isn't really that useful for weight loss. It's a tool that people with Diabetes can use to determine how certain foods will affect their blood sugar, but whether or not a food has a high GI does not affect whether you will gain weight or not -- that's all about calorie deficit.

I think a point of confusion is that because people who eat a lot of high GI foods tend to be more likely to be obese, some people assume that this is a causative relationship -- high GI causes obesity. The reality is that high GI foods are more likely to also be high calorie, therefore people who eat a lot of high GI foods are more likely to be eating beyond their maintenance calories and gaining weight. So, bottom line, as long as your high GI food does not exceed your calorie goal for the day, it isn't going to make you gain weight any more than a low GI food would.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/glycemic-index-diet/MY00770
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member

Or you could skip this type of silliness and simply focus on macros and calories.
  • juggie49
    juggie49 Posts: 7 Member
    Bwa ha ha ha ha!
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    I love bread. I bake my own.

Having said that, I've almost eliminated it from my diet, because it triggers major carb cravings for me. In plain English: once I have a slice, I can't stop :grumble:

If this doesn't happen to you and you won't go nuts, there's no reason why you shouldn't be eating bread.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    bread is really bad. I was held at gunpoint by bread, which ransacked my house, stole all my things and poked my kids with pointy sticks. the police are too scared to do anything because of criminal master-breads who control all the crime in the city. And some think the chief of police is really bread pretending to be good. He says he's wholegrain, but we're not so sure about that.

Seriously, bread is neither good nor bad. in AD&D terms it's true neutral. Eating too much bread makes it easy to be over your calories for the day if you're not tracking, but if you track your calories and fit bread into your calories and macros then it won't do you any harm, unless you're allergic to one of the ingredients, or gluten intolerant or something. If eating bread makes you sick, don't eat it. If it doesn't, and if fits in your calories and macros, then eat it and enjoy it.

This is the first time I've seen AD&D used to explain something in food terms....well done you!

:flowerforyou: @ understanding my reference to AD&D

....all food is true neutral, except celery, which is chaotic evil because it tastes and smells utterly vile on purpose, just to torment me.

*ahem*

Celery isn't the only one on that exception list.

I humbly suggest that grapefruit be included as well.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member

So if I eat high GI foods and the carbs "get to that stage" but I'm still in a caloric deficit for the day, where does my body get the energy it still needs to continue functioning?

(hint: It gets it from the amount of fat that was "packed on" earlier plus even more since I'm in a deficit.)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    bread is really bad. I was held at gunpoint by bread, which ransacked my house, stole all my things and poked my kids with pointy sticks. the police are too scared to do anything because of criminal master-breads who control all the crime in the city. And some think the chief of police is really bread pretending to be good. He says he's wholegrain, but we're not so sure about that.

Seriously, bread is neither good nor bad. in AD&D terms it's true neutral. Eating too much bread makes it easy to be over your calories for the day if you're not tracking, but if you track your calories and fit bread into your calories and macros then it won't do you any harm, unless you're allergic to one of the ingredients, or gluten intolerant or something. If eating bread makes you sick, don't eat it. If it doesn't, and if fits in your calories and macros, then eat it and enjoy it.

This is the first time I've seen AD&D used to explain something in food terms....well done you!

:flowerforyou: @ understanding my reference to AD&D

....all food is true neutral, except celery, which is chaotic evil because it tastes and smells utterly vile on purpose, just to torment me.

*ahem*

Celery isn't the only one on that exception list.

I humbly suggest that grapefruit be included as well.
    Grapefruit made its saving throw against the detect alignment spell with a natural 20.