Tell your story! Introduce yourself

Replies

• cmwu70
    cmwu70 Posts: 4
    Hi- My name is Chris, and i just had my surgery on 2-04-13. I am still very excited about being stronger and healthier in the long run. I have not had any problems with food so far other than telling my brain to listen to my tiny new pouch when it is getting full. I am having trouble drinking enough water. I used to drink a ton of water all day, and now I never feel thirsty. I am forcing myself to drink but nothing tastes good. I was so excited to log on today and find a RNY group- looking forward to chatting with everyone! :smile:
  • Hi there!! My name is Shannon and I had surgery on Dec. 10, 2012. 3 months in and going strong. The changes are amazing and still shock me!!
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Hi there,. I am 7 months post surgery and don't regret one second of my journey. I have lost 89lbs. so far and hoping to loose another 26lbs. or maybe, fingers crossed, 36lbs. I have a host of physical problems which caused most of the weight gain in the first place and have seen some of them improve a bit since surgery.

I was logging my food intake on my own but only for the protein intake. So happy I found this site as I love being able to track my daily calories, carbs, fat and sugar intakes as well. Also have been enjoying the support I am getting. It's nice to know that we aren't alone in our journey.
  • emt49126
    emt49126 Posts: 3 Member
    Good morning to all. I am 6 months out from my surgery. I have unofficially lost 100 pounds. It will become official on 21st of May 2013. There are days that I feel like I could eat all day. Then there are days to where I do good to eat what I need too. I am "scared" of regaining my weight back. The day of surgery, I weighed 415 pounds. I have a daughter who I want to see grow up.
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Good morning to all. I am 6 months out from my surgery. I have unofficially lost 100 pounds. It will become official on 21st of May 2013. There are days that I feel like I could eat all day. Then there are days to where I do good to eat what I need too. I am "scared" of regaining my weight back. The day of surgery, I weighed 415 pounds. I have a daughter who I want to see grow up.
    I am almost 8 months post surgery and still get days like that. I just have to remind myself that it will probably be like this for the rest of my life so I need to be very careful what foods I choose to put in my mouth when those days hit. I find that upping my protein and making sure I am getting lots of liquids in helps put the cravings at bay.

Just remember that this way of eating is still new to us and that some days will be like taking baby steps. Also that not every day will be perfect but we just have to pick ourselves up and keep going. Good luck. ~
  • Lynski46157
    Lynski46157 Posts: 4 Member
    Greetings everyone. I had RNY 3/4/2010. Lost almost 100 pounds from my highest ever weight. The first two years were a breeze, then my appetite came back and the last year has been really tough. Doesn't help that I retired and don't get out much now. Really trying to stay fit and not regain more than the 5-7 pounds that I have so far. Love to chat with others in the same situation.
  • Hey now!

Background: i have been heavy my whole life and since my 30's have been just plain old every day run of the mill fat! 450+ ( at some points heavier). i have tried every diet on earth.

my story begins August 2012 in the diner in Media Pa.

My best friend asked me to look into Gastric bypass surgery for 3 reasons
    1: he is my brother and loves me
    2: i was turning 50 in September
    3: lets face i was not getting any thinner.

After my research i determined that this was the tool i had been missing. i further checked on insurance and company policy on medical leave.all came back very positive.

After narrowing down the possible hospitals in the Philadelphia area, i arrive at the doorsteps of Bryn Mawr hospital and the Bariatric Center headed by Dr. Richard Ing.

It has been nine months since the start of this journey and I passed through the door on June 12,203 at approx 8:30am , I am now 1 week post-op for the RNY procedure and feeling fantastic .

I have dropped 64lbs total since the start of the program. I exercise on a daily basis and the results are amazing. i feel like a new man, ( why did i wait so long...doh!) i am at the best place i have been in years both physically and mentally. in one word my life is AWESOME! can only imagine were i will be a year from today.

wish me luck, ..catch ya later

RJ
  • minnievw67
    minnievw67 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello, My name is Mindy and I had my RNY done May of 2013. So just a couple months ago! After much deliberation and support from my husband I decided this was best for my health and our life together. My surgery didn't go as smoothly as the DR would have liked and I am considered "uncharted territory" But I know it will all be worth it in the end! I am excited to start this new chapter of health in my life and to follow others success and cheer them on!
  • Lacrimablu
    Lacrimablu Posts: 17 Member
    Alright here goes. My name is Mayra I am 36. I had the Roux-n-y gastric by pass 10 years ago. I was one of kaiser's first 100 patients to do it and had my surgery date in less than a month. Everything happen so fast. I use to be way over 350 some lbs. I had to loose weight.

I had my surgery shortly after Carnie Wilson had hers. Kinda motivated me. But there wasnt much info on what to eat when I did it. i was to eat no meat for a year/chicken or fish. Yeah can you believe that. I became lactose intolerant.

I had the panneculectomy 5 years later. WOW what a difference. I want to get a full body reconstrustion. Some say I dont but I still need to remove some loose skin. Why not. I don't have kids.

I do not have to take no more diabetic medications (everyone in my family are strong diabetics meaning insulin, amputation and diaylis) and I happen to get that gean. I became the opposite but slowly A1C is going back up again. I also do not have no more sleep apnea and a lot of medications I dont need. Never needed cholestrol or high blood pressure. But my knees are really damaged. Now I have had 2 bleeding ulcers throughout these years. One was 4 years ago and needed blood transfusion. Last year I got the same two ulcer develop in the same area (even taking four different stomach medication) but when I started seeing the blood I went in.

Then this year I went back because I ate something that didnt digest. My stomach isnt digesting a lot of food that I use to eat. For example raw carrots.......noodles (chinnese food), fish, some chicken, even though I chew and COCONUT. It just sits there for days. So I got to be careful. I dont drink coffee. No sodas or carbonation. I find it hard to eat 1200 calories and when I start excercising. I go overboard. Way overboard and less hungry.

I lost a lot of weight. I became anemic......constantly getting b shots. I have managed to keep my weight off......but last year I had a major traumatic depression (a lot) that made me gain about 50 lbs and I kinda quit excercising. A no no. Then I started to work out this year.....and lost weight. then 2 months ago I fell (bad knees....due to the excess weight). I broke tail bone and fractured right rotator shoulder. I will be having surgery in a few weeks. So I am kinda bed rest (but been cheating and trying to do some excercise). I guess its a habbit.

Now there are so many surgeries and diferent surgery. My mom had hers a year after mine. But she stretched her stomach and eats all the wrong stuff. Do I regret it? No I do not. I just wish there was more information on a diet plan back then to follow. MFP helps and I like it. But I think they need to work on a special one for specific gastric by pass patients. Because our bodies are COMPLETLY different than a normal person. Our vitamin intakes are not the same, neither is our absorbation rate or the amount of calories our body can consume.

So thats a little bit about me. By the way mine was an open (no laproscopic).

If you want to add me as a friend I would be glad to accept.

I am tired of hearing about this 1200 calorie if it works or dosent work. I have kept food journals all my life. I have noticed that I would barely eat 1200 calroies and burn 1200 calories and lose weight. Then plateu. Then I increase to 1500 calories and burned 1200 calories........and GAINED weight. So then I completly said screw it......ate almost 1200 calories....and would excercise 1 to 2 days a week about 130 calories and BOOM I lost weight like crazy. Of course every day I drink 6-8 bottles of water.

Being in bed (not being able to excercise) Ive lost about 18lbs in one month. Barely eating. But drinking my water. Definetly not excercising daily as before. I measured myself and lost a lot of inches too. Everything is so confusing to me. :( But never regret the surgery.

Advice......excercise.....drink your water......do your protein shake........your b12.......get your iron up......and don't give up.

Plus avoid fast foods.

:)
  • Hi, I'm Alex, Ive lost a total so far of 98lbs i had my gastric bypass in feb '13. I have been a yoyo dieter all my life at one point i was down to 9 stone and at another 22 stone...

Since my bypass I've been in control which feels amazing, i do worry that one day ill slip and gradually creep back into bad habits..

I plan on having any skin removed next year and i'm already saving.

:D
  • dont say that... i soo hope my appetite never comes back..
  • drtydva
    drtydva Posts: 1
    Hello, my name is Donna. I had RNY on 2/25/2013. Since making my decision to change my life for a healthier me, (August 1, 2012), I have lost 106 pounds.
  • CHC94
    CHC94 Posts: 55 Member
    Hi everyone!

I go by CHC94 online, and I had my RNY surgery on August 5th of this year. I started out at 329 on 7/28, hit 312 when I was weighed right before surgery and have blasted through the lower 300s and into the 200s. I am now at 296, a number I haven't seen in about 3 years. I want to keep this pace, but realistically, I know I can't.

I have a hard time drinking those protein shakes, and mostly, they just make me sweat, shake and take a book to the bathroom. I'm not sure what to do since I HAVE to have the protein.

I keep hunger at bay by sleeping. I'll be back at work in a couple weeks and won't have time to sleep so I'm getting it in there now. I have managed to walk 3/4 of a mile and not keel over at the mall, but it's a big comedown from the March for Babies when I walked 4 miles on the course, and then about a mile to the train station. I keep telling myself I have to work back to it; this surgery was not like having a wisdom tooth removed.

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions for getting moving and food in my tum, I'll take it. Feel free to drop a note in the inbox or a friend request.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    i'm 35 years old and overweight all my life. Had a few successful attempts at losing in the past, but never enough to get out of the overweight category and eventually regained. Weight loss surgery had been mentioned to me by family and friends a few times in the past, but when my primary care doc suggested it, I finally decided to seriously consider it as an option. My main reason for deciding to go through with it was that I am healthy now, but know the odds of weight related medical problems are not in my favor, and I'd like to stay healthy.

Fast forward one year.

I had my RNY exactly a week ago and it couldn't be going better. I had almost no pain from the first. I haven't had a problem keeping liquids/food down other than the second day in the hospital. I'm still not up to the recommended fluid intake, but am adding a few more ounces each day. Same with protein intake. I just pray that everything continues going this well.
  • CHC94
    Welcome, stroynaya! Hang in there; your liquid intake will improve with time. Just keep sipping. :smile:
  • ladyk1981
    ladyk1981 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone!! I am a RNY gastric bypass patient. Today I am 14 weeks post op. I have successfully lost 90lbs. I thank God for this surgery because I feel like I have a second chance at doing things the right way. During my recent 3 month post op appointment, it really made me feel good to hear the positive reactions from the nurse and surgeon regarding my weight loss. I have not reached my goal, I still have a ways to go and I look forward to meeting others and learning from each other on this journey!!!
  • Hi, I'm Michelle. I just had my surgery 8/26/13 and today was my first day in the mush stage. I was not able to get all my protein or water in because eating actual food - even though it was pureed - just didn't seem to sit well with me. I know the first 6 weeks are a small amount of time, but it sure doesn't seem like it when you are in it, Anybody have some great advice for me? Thanks!
  • CHC94
    Hi, I'm Michelle. I just had my surgery 8/26/13 and today was my first day in the mush stage. I was not able to get all my protein or water in because eating actual food - even though it was pureed - just didn't seem to sit well with me. I know the first 6 weeks are a small amount of time, but it sure doesn't seem like it when you are in it, Anybody have some great advice for me? Thanks!

Welcome, Michelle! I know exactly how you feel. I was in purees while you were having surgery. That time feels like it DRAGS by, because you see all these wonderful things that you want to eat ... but can't.

If the pureed food doesn't sit well in your stomach, just back it up for a week and go back to full liquid. Foods that worked for me were creamed soups. Amy's has a great line of soups with a variety of flavors and they are low salt, low calorie as well.

The schedule you were given is not set in stone. If you stay on a particular stage for an extra week or so, that's not a problem. I had surgery August 5th, and was doing well with clear & full liquid. I got to purees, and had a tooth extracted that week... back to liquid as a precaution. Now, I'm on solids, but I'm still sticking with soft food. Nothing crunchy yet, and I miss my almonds.
  • Take a few minutes to introduce yourself to everyone. Whatever you would like to share. Feel free to start a topic for anything you want feedback on or got questions you have!
  • Hi my name is India. I had my surgery in Feb of 2010. I did what my surgeon told me to the T and never had issues or problems. I lost 280 lbs. I do fluctuate in my weight by 5-10 lbs for the last year and a half or so. I do have extra skin and was fortunate enough to receive a lower body lift and a few other things need to be lifted :0) but all in time. I do 5k races and obstacle courses now. Excuse the violence but anytime someone says we took the easy way out I would love to knock them in their big head. This is not an easy road and it's one that never comes to a stop. Not overheating is a struggle for me at every meal and I don't think it won't stop ever being an issue. Now I work 12 hr overnight shifts and I'm all kinds of confused about what and when to eat. Any suggestions?