Weight vs Inches

Jenelle64
Jenelle64 Posts: 36
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi all. Most often when we talk about getting fit it gets translated into how much weight to lose. But you also need to gain muscle to increase your metabolism and if muscle weighs more then fat, should we focus on out weight or our measurements?

I would like to know what you think is more important especially if you fall within the recommended weight for your height and body type but have a high body fat percentage and places where that body fat really shows.

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Inches and bodyfat %
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    I think ultimately, it's really about body fat percentage. Weight and even measurements can vary greatly from person to person depending on a lot of individual factors. When I chose my goal weight, I did so based on my ideal body fat percentage. I may have to tweak that number as I get closer to my goal and reevaluate my progress and my lean body mass. I don't really care much about what my weight is or what my measurements are as long as my body fat is in a healthy range. :smile:
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Tracking any number will show you a general overall trend towards or away from healthiness. I watch my weight because it is an easy indicator for me, but I also take monthly measurements. I know when my weight stays the same, but my inches decrease that I have a decrease in body fat.
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    I would say inches, body fat% and muscle%----weight(alone) can be a little misleading sometimes
  • mammakat0830
    mammakat0830 Posts: 117 Member
    But you also need to gain muscle to increase your metabolism and if muscle weighs more then fat, should we focus on out weight or our measurements?

Hi!

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...a pound= a pound. However, fat takes more space than muscle, therefore muscle gained and fat lost= inches lost. This means you can weigh the same and lose inches if you are gaining muscle :)

Inches lost, BF% lost and muscle gained are always better than just a decreased number on the scale. Best of luck!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Treat them all as metrics but realize that even in this discussion, context matters.

Methods of bodyfat assessment have all kinds of error attached to them.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=146
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=162
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=232

The scale can be tricky because it doesn't tell you body composition and you can have significant fluctuations from day to day, but one advantage the scale has is convenience. Secondarily, body weight changes are something that you should expect to happen at least somewhat regularly and frequently, so this metric is actually very, very useful. You just have to recognize that this metric only tells you your weight.

I'm making these distinctions because sometimes I'll see people who are significantly overweight, who will justify very long periods without weight loss, by claiming massive amounts of muscle gain. I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade by any stretch (trust me I want people to make progress and be happy), but I think that at some point you have to question the reality of the situation. (And without getting into a big debate, even in the presence of weight lifting, if you're very overweight and your goal is to lose fat, you should still be losing bodyweight even in the presence of whatever small amounts of muscle gain you may make).

Photographs and measurements are awesome metrics. They have the downside of not showing rapid progress like the scale would, but they are still great metrics.

I would argue that for most people in most contexts, if I had to choose one metric I would still choose bodyweight (the scale) as the best tool for assessing progress.

But fortunately, nobody has to choose only one.

So with that said, they are all metrics. They have their pros and cons. I think it's best to use them all but to recognize how they are applied.
  • Well, I've only lost 4 lbs, but I've lost 19.75 inches. So, which do you think is more accurate? lol. Here's my post from today to show my progress in only 4 lbs difference. I weight train as well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1070391-progress-photos-only-4-lb-difference
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Inches and bodyfat %

^ This. I focus on inches and BF% 2 times a month. But daily I pay attention to how my clothes fit when I get dressed. :happy:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Inches

Of course.

Seriously though, I guess inches and body fat % are the numbers I am using because I mostly just pay attention to how my clothes fit! Or don't fit as I have been shrinking out of mine lately!!
  • Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...a pound= a pound. However, fat takes more space than muscle, therefore muscle gained and fat lost= inches lost.

Fat doesn't take up more space than muscle.. 1 cm³=1 cm³. (see what I did there?) I think it's safe to assume that when someone says muscle weighs more than fat, that they also mean "for a given volume." 1 pound of fat weighs as much as 1 pound of muscle, but 1 cm³ of muscles weighs more than 1 cm³ of fat. Muscle is more dense than fat and as such, for any given volume, muscle WEIGHS MORE than fat.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...a pound= a pound. However, fat takes more space than muscle, therefore muscle gained and fat lost= inches lost.

Fat doesn't take up more space than muscle.. 1 cm³=1 cm³. (see what I did there?) I think it's safe to assume that when someone says muscle weighs more than fat, that they also mean "for a given volume." 1 pound of fat weighs as much as 1 pound of muscle, but 1 cm³ of muscles weighs more than 1 cm³ of fat. Muscle is more dense than fat and as such, for any given volume, muscle WEIGHS MORE than fat.

Touche there with the centimeters.

That said, 8-10 years ago I wore a bigger size than I do now, but I weight more now than I did then. I've cut body fat percentage and put on some muscle...so...I think fat does take up more space than muscle (for a given volume, of course)
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...a pound= a pound. However, fat takes more space than muscle, therefore muscle gained and fat lost= inches lost.

This quote should pop up every time people debate whether or not muscle weighs more than fat.
  • This quote should pop up every time people debate whether or not muscle weighs more than fat.

You can quote me any time you like ;)
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    This quote should pop up every time people debate whether or not muscle weighs more than fat.

You can quote me any time you like ;)

Sure thing! Thanks :)
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    weight
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    But you also need to gain muscle to increase your metabolism and if muscle weighs more then fat, should we focus on out weight or our measurements?

Hi!

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...a pound= a pound. However, fat takes more space than muscle, therefore muscle gained and fat lost= inches lost. This means you can weigh the same and lose inches if you are gaining muscle :)

Inches lost, BF% lost and muscle gained are always better than just a decreased number on the scale. Best of luck!

Yes and a square meter = a square meter - it's just semantics, we all know, thanks.

OP - yes I think measurements and how your clothes fit are much more important than what the scale says.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member

Haha - didn't see yours
  • For me? I care more about inches, but I always assumed that was just because I sew my own clothes and costumes. Its a little harder to sew clothing for yourself when you don't know your own measurements.

I guess it just depends on how much weight you have to lose. If its under 50lbs I would say focus on inches, over 50lbs, focus on weight.
  • I know inches is what matters but I can't get over the scale figure..
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Inches is a more accurate indicator of your health. The scale can be misleading. Since muscle weighs more than fat one is able to slim down while actually gaining weight.
This discussion has been closed.