fat and 50

shadow997
shadow997 Posts: 31 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
so 1st week back on MFP and lost 2.5 lbs............but before MFP i would have big lunchs anything i want for dinner and top it off with icecream at night mix in a few beers and maybe a martini or 2 . this week at the gym 5 times eating right and not over eating in the good old days "before 50" i would have lost 10lbs this 1st week. something for being fat and happy rather than skinny and sore. just some thoughts about my 1st week back , we will see how week 2 goes

Replies

• kjg1965297
    kjg1965297 Posts: 121
    The key is to stick with it and the soreness goes away with success. Good luck but this mfp works excellent. I'm 48 and fat.
  • shadow997
    thanks , yeah i will stick with it , just venting . looks like you show affenpinchers hope you do well with it
  • i'm 52 and fat, and have lost 48 pounds since being on here (January 2013). Consistency is key.. and find other things to take the place of the bad food. But... for me.. gotta have that bad stuff every now and then!!!! :-) Good Luck!
  • SusanDoesIt
    SusanDoesIt Posts: 73 Member
    I started in early 2012, determined NOT to be fat and 50 (my 50th bday is coming up in a couple of months), after spending much of my adult life that way. I was losing SO slowly that I almost gave up many, many times. In the past, I would join Weight Watchers, and easily be down 14-15 pounds in the first 3-4 weeks. This time, it took me three months!

I have my ups and downs, and I'm not perfect. The key is to not stay in the 'off the wagon' phase too long...get back to it as soon as you can. I can't tell you how many slip ups I've had. In the past, a slip up would've had me saying 'to hell with it'...and I knew THAT attitude would get me nowhere in the long run.

No longer fat, and about to be 50 is good place to be.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Read this book recently called Younger next year.. The authors say that once you hit 50 your new job is to be fit
    and eat right.. The consequences if you are not fit are a very unhappy rest of your life..
    I see it every day here at work how people in their 50s can not even walk up the stairs.

They say cardio is for your health and weight training is to live a great life.
    You might not be able to fight the wrinkles but your body can look better than when you were in your 30s.
  • beetpoet
    beetpoet Posts: 63 Member
    It's a dirty trick that as we get older, we may become wiser (I only hope), but our bodies sure hold on to fat like we're in a famine. And women have it harder I think... although my husband struggles with his midlife middle. It doesn't want to go away no matter what. (We've been in "midlife" for awhile now.) I figured out one thing for myself: sugar is evil. Sugar in any form just makes me more hungry, so I've cut it out for now.

I am really eating more protein and vegetables and scant carbs. This works better for me. I'm even looking at paleo recipes, although I do not plan to be 100% strict about any path I choose. Because of my age and because I refuse to be a fanatic, my weight loss is slow. But I think things are moving in the right direction.

It's great that you are back on MFP. This is the best place I've found for support and for really making progress. Good luck!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    so 1st week back on MFP and lost 2.5 lbs............but before MFP i would have big lunchs anything i want for dinner and top it off with icecream at night mix in a few beers and maybe a martini or 2 . this week at the gym 5 times eating right and not over eating in the good old days "before 50" i would have lost 10lbs this 1st week. something for being fat and happy rather than skinny and sore. just some thoughts about my 1st week back , we will see how week 2 goes
    Oh wah wah wah. Now you know what women have felt like their whole lives! LOLOL. :laugh: Sorry, it just drives me nuts that men lose weight so much faster. You can still eat what you want, just not as much of it, and adding in fruits and vegetables are good for you AND help your body adjust to less food and calories without feeling so hungry all the time. You can still drink alcohol, and guess what, if you eat less, you don't need to drink as much alcohol to feel the same results! For good health it is a good idea to get used to putting a little thought into what you eat, drink, and adding exercise to your routine. You will love the long term results. You are older and wiser, so you have to know that the changes you are starting to make will show gradual but lasting results if you maintain your efforts. It took me two years and I am still a work in progress, but the results are worth it.
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    I'm 54. Am losing veery slowly, but at least the graph has a downward trend. Sometimes I wonder if the people who seem to fall off the wagon are the ones trying to lose quicker. I'm not working as hard as most at the weight loss. Good luck, You are doing a good thing for yourself.
  • beetpoet
    beetpoet Posts: 63 Member
    They say cardio is for your health and weight training is to live a great life.
    You might not be able to fight the wrinkles but your body can look better than when you were in your 30s.

Great saying. I've recently added strength training to my routine. I've found so much inspiration from people on MFP who not only eat right, but exercise! As we get older "Use it or lose it" is even more critical.
  • EthansNana
    EthansNana Posts: 10 Member
    Just starting back up again as well. I will be 50 this coming February and I just want to feel better inside and out. The weekend was hard on me. I am very sore and have blisters on me feet but I got up this morning and did 3 1/2 miles! Yay!! I want to break the family cycle of obesity, high blood presure and diabetes. Any helpful hints?
  • shadow997
    Oh wah wah wah. Now you know what women have felt like their whole lives! LOLOL. :laugh: Sorry, it just drives me nuts that men lose weight so much faster. You can still eat what you want, just not as much of it, and adding in fruits and vegetables are good for you AND help your body adjust to less food and calories without feeling so hungry all the time. You can still drink alcohol, and guess what, if you eat less, you don't need to drink as much alcohol to feel the same results! For good health it is a good idea to get used to putting a little thought into what you eat, drink, and adding exercise to your routine. You will love the long term results. You are older and wiser, so you have to know that the changes you are starting to make will show gradual but lasting results if you maintain your efforts. It took me two years and I am still a work in progress, but the results are worth it.
  • shadow997
    too funny and yes i was whining a little bit , guys do have it a lot easier when it come to weight loss - bigger shirts pants under our big bellys and once we start losing it does go fast. week 2 will be better . thanks
  • walzllw
    walzllw Posts: 105 Member
    I am 51 and it takes more time than when I was in my 20's. I have 40 lbs left to lose and have had my ups and downs in the past year. MFP is the best tool I have used to help with weight loss!
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    My GP told me strength is very beneficial for weight loss and bones and I know in my forties, having a lot of muscle helped me eat more calories....the bone density test I took (which was good) was secondary to me at the time. I don't have scientific numbers, but I know when I'm out of shape at the same weight, I can't eat what I can when I am in shape and tone, even on maintenance and not gain.
    You make your 50+ body the best it can be, but don't try to get a 30 year old body, you have different needs, hormone levels, etc.

I think I've gotten to that point, I accept I can't be the same, even if I ever drop to the same weight as I was in my thirties, but I want to be healthy and not abuse the body I have now. Being able to eat a lot in your youth and not gain or gain much...it's hard to have your mind not remember, maybe excess at any age isn't good...maybe weight gain is secondary to just not being healthy. Habits are hard to break but they can be slowly.I was lucky to be able to sample or have 3 desserts on a holiday and 2 helpings and not gain when I was very young, but that still wasn't a healthy choice.
This discussion has been closed.