Need to lose 80lbs!...

ChristaNorris
ChristaNorris Posts: 52 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hello all!!

I've been hanging around MFP starting/restarting/quitting/starting/quitting/restarting for quite some time now. I lost 50lbs in '10 after the birth of my son, but of course put some of that back on (I'm still down 26lbs of that 50). ANYWAY, I'm here and here to stay now b/c I'm ready to like what I see in the mirror. I just got some extra motivation today when my sister-in-law called to tell us she's engaged! So, now my uneducated newbie self has several questions....

Is it even realistic to dream of losing 80lbs in the next 9-12 months?

If yes, does anyone have any tips to make sure that I'm toning as I'm losing? I'd rather not be one big flap of skin when it's said and done...

I've been doing C25K, cycle, yoga and some lifting...Do you have any other suggestions on things to do/not do at the gym?

Thanks in advance for your help, I really do appreciate it! And feel free to add me so I can pick your brain as I go!! : )

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    My goal is 80 pounds. I started in May and I'm over halfway there, so yes! I think 9-12 months is perfectly reasonable! And you can "tone" while losing weight by building muscle through weightlifting.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    It can be done! I have lost 89 lbs in less than a year. All but the last few lbs were lost within 10 months. If I can do it, you definitely can! I am 50 years old, have always struggled with my weight, and pretty much hit rock bottom (and my highest weight ever) last summer. I was *hoping* to lose 65 lbs, but have been able to lose 89 lbs and am only 1/2 lb away from my all time dream weight of 125.

I have limitations due to degenerative disc disease in my lower back, so my cardio is walking. I walk 6 days a week on the treadmill. Three days a week I do Pilates afterwards, and two days a week I do some upper body strength training (light weights, as I have the back restrictions, plus permanent lifting restrictions form my GYN following a hysterectomy in May).

I try to get in veggies, a little fruit, lean protein, and whole grains every day, as well as healthy fats in limited quantities (olive oil and nuts, mostly). I don't eat sugar or other white starches as a rule (although now that I have lost the weight and am basically maintaining, I allow myself a great on the weekend).

Wishing you all the best! You can do it!
  • ravenkg
    ravenkg Posts: 1
    Hi!! If your body is well hydrated this will limit the excess skin you're left with. also try moisturising daily, for best results use one with elastane :smile:
  • jerseymack23
    jerseymack23 Posts: 19 Member
    My goal is 80, too!
  • 83in365
    83in365 Posts: 1 Member
    Be Strong, it will come off.........
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    I've lost a bit over 80 in the last 9 months. My secret? There is not secret. It is not magic. You need a system for tracking calories in and calories out, you need to build a small caloric deficit every day, and you need to stick with it.
  • morrisjc
    morrisjc Posts: 4 Member
    I lost 45 pounds in 5 months, by sticking closely to my caloric goals and exercising most days of the week. You can do it, but it will be tough and you will need to be disciplined.
  • ChristaNorris
    My next question, should I be taking a day(s) off from the gym? I have been doing an hour and a half to two hours whenever I can get it done (sometimes daily, sometimes every other day) and have been burning on average 1000-1200 calories with each workout. Should I be taking time off a couple times a week?
  • KateK8LoseW8
    You need at least one rest day per week, more if you are a beginner.
  • ChristaNorris
    Today is day 12 of really being focused and working out/eating well. Is that considered a beginner? And when am I no longer a beginner? When I hit a plateau?
  • KateK8LoseW8
    The bigger issue is that 12 days straight of exercise is a fast track to injury due to not allowing your body to heal. Even professional athletes take days off for this reason. If you have been able to exercise for 12 days in a row, taking one rest day off per week is probably fine.
  • mtnhiker1
    mtnhiker1 Posts: 114 Member
    It can be done. I started in June and am down 36 pounds so far. I agree with other posts, there is no magic. Just consistency. Be conservative or at least brutally honest when recording calories. Find a method that works for you and stick with it.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

use this website to set your goals in MFP. go with low carb. the exercise is interesting if you like to do it but has very little to do with your loss of body fat. only your chemistry does that.
  • ChristaNorris
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

use this website to set your goals in MFP. go with low carb. the exercise is interesting if you like to do it but has very little to do with your loss of body fat. only your chemistry does that.

Oh wow....What in the world is this?...
This discussion has been closed.