Notifications during conversations/threads?

MrsFowler1069
MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
So, I am pretty new here - just about two months in, most of which I rarely looked at the message boards. Now that I've found that I'm interested in some of the topics, I'm struggling with following the threads in terms of whether someone responds to me. I see a setting for receiving notifications when someone responds to your own topic, but I have never posted my own topic except for this. Is there a tool for tracking when someone replies to just a comment?

I did a search and saw that others have posed this question before, but not super recently and I might have missed where the question or issue was ever resolved. I feel like I'm being rude if someone answers and then I don't respond, but then again, I don't really like digging through a long thread to find out, either.

Any tips? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• I have trouble with this too. I mainly use MFP through my Iphone app and can rarely keep track of any conversations or threads- it requires constant checking back in to see how a conversation is going ( unless its posted on my wall in which case I get an email).
    The app doesn't have a lot of the features of the website so I cant be sure how the web based stuff works- but there is no notification option that I can see right now lol.
  • MrsFowler1069
    Yes, I am typically on the laptop because it's definitely more streamlined, while I use the phone app typically only for logging. I thought maybe going to "recent posts" or the news feed, where it shows that I commented, would at least take me back to where I left off, but it goes to the original post. Hmmm....
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    As far as I can tell, and I've explored this site a lot, there's no way to receive these sorts of notifications. What I've found works is to just click "my topics" and see if anyone has responded since you did.

I could be wrong. If anyone has found a way to get these notifications, as well as notifications for when people respond to my remarks on another user's status, I would LOVE to hear about it.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Checking through 'my topics' as suggested above is the only way right now.

I saw someone had suggested on another thread to get a notification if someone quotes you.

Personally I don't like too many notifications, it can get a bit spammy.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    I also agree that you should be taken to the page you were last at rather than the start of a thread.

This probably belongs in the website suggestions/feedback section, where the MFP people can take on board what the users want.

They do listen!
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    I wouldn't mind Facebook-style notifications.
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    I wouldn't mind Facebook-style notifications.

This for sure! Would help so much!!
  • MrsFowler1069
    Thanks for the input everyone - and yes, I will offer a copy of this thread to the suggestions area.
This discussion has been closed.