Night eating

ruth6012
ruth6012 Posts: 4
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi all!

I suffer with Fibromyalgia, it is a constant up and down emotionally and physically. I am also a night eater. I want to consume all my calories after 6PM until midnight, then I can wake up from a sound sleep so hungry I HAVE to eat or feel like I am going nuts! I also eat in my sleep, next morning I am desperately trying to figure out how many calories and what I ate. Sometimes I am so afraid I stay awake by being online playing games or face booking, afraid to sleep. I have a history of Bulimia so when I know I have overeaten while sleeping I have to fight the urge to purge. I am a mess!

Do any of you have this issues? :frown:

Replies

• Hi all!

I suffer with Fibromyalgia, it is a constant up and down emotionally and physically. I am also a night eater. I want to consume all my calories after 6PM until midnight, then I can wake up from a sound sleep so hungry I HAVE to eat or feel like I am going nuts! I also eat in my sleep, next morning I am desperately trying to figure out how many calories and what I ate. Sometimes I am so afraid I stay awake by being online playing games or face booking, afraid to sleep. I have a history of Bulimia so when I know I have overeaten while sleeping I have to fight the urge to purge. I am a mess!

Do any of you have this issues? :frown:

”Fall seven times, stand up eight.”– Japanese Proverb
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Get yourself on track and on a schedule this will help with sleeping and eating. You may also need to speak with someone as they may be able to assist you better than anyone here.

You may want to look into melatonin I take about 12mg before I lay down and it helps me go to sleep and stay asleep. It's cheaper if you buy it in the 3mg tablets just fyi.
  • I do have professional help for my eating disorders, but I still struggle and need the support and input of others who may have like problems.

Thanks!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    So... if you consume all your calories from 6pm to midnight does that prevent you from eating while you're sleeping?

If it solves your issue, that's totally fine to do. You can eat your allotted calories whenever suits your tastes best. As long as you're in a deficit, it doesn't matter what time you eat.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    I'm not an expert but I'd imagine your metabolism would have a difficult time if you ate everything that close? I don't know just seems like that couldn't be good as typically you hear eat small meals throughout the day.

Disclaimer: **Again I could be completely wrong just trying to throw this out there.**

I'm glad you're able to get help and understand needing support. Hope I didn't offend.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I'm not an expert but I'd imagine your metabolism would have a difficult time if you ate everything that close? I don't know just seems like that couldn't be good as typically you hear eat small meals throughout the day.

Disclaimer: **Again I could be completely wrong just trying to throw this out there.**

I'm glad you're able to get help and understand needing support. Hope I didn't offend.

Not offensive at all. That's a pretty common misconception- propagated by diet books and weight loss gurus.

The reality is that it doesn't matter at all. Do a search on "intermittent fasting" for more info, but lots of people here eat all their calories within shorter windows. The real theory behind the classic diet trick of small meals is that, in theory, it keeps you from getting hungry so you eat less. It works for some people, not for others. For me, small meals all day leaves me constantly obsessed with the next meal and never feeling quite satiated. I do much better with big meals in a shorter time frame.

There's really no science behind the "keep the metabolic fire burning" concept....it's a nice analogy, stoking the fire and all, but it doesn't hold up to research.
This discussion has been closed.