need some advice

debzz23
debzz23 Posts: 18
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
just joined this today have been working out eating healthy for last 4 weeks and have lost 9 pounds which for me is quiet slow I'm working out 5 days a week doing Cardio 45 mins and also 40 mins of weights on the two days I'm not in the gym doing my cardio basically today I logged my calories and work out and got feed back saying I am not eating enough calories and won't lose weight by doing this I understand the metobalism and fueling my body but I am unsure what to do if I'm burning off to many calories any suggestions and also friends on here would be much appreciated :) thanks xx

Replies

• Hi Deb

I often burn far more calories than recommended on days but to off set that I put a lot more calories back in from healthy food( around half of what I have burnt extra) on them days but that suits my finally personal goal. I'm no expert on this kind of thing though its just from what's working for me at present.

I found this which might explain a little for you.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-you-shouldnt-burn-more-than-4000-calories-a-week-through-exercise/#axzz2bt7mQwpL

Damo
  • debzz23
    hey thanks for the reply

I have been doing the same food and exercise for past 4 weeks but only just joined MFP today and logged in all my foods and work outs just confused lol do I need to eat more when u burn will take a look at the link

thanks so much for getting back to me

Debbie x
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    You should only get that notice from MFP about not eating enough if you are taking in less than 1200 calories. Just as damofing stated you should be eating back a portion of your exercise calories if you are going with the calorie goal MFP gave you. MFP works on a NEAT method so a deficit is already built in and doesn't assume you will be working out.

That being said, you have a closed diary no way for me to know really what you ate, just going based on what you've provided.

You aren't getting a lot of responses i see and that could be based on your opening statement. The majority of the people who respond on the forums are very much about losing weight at a healthy pace. 9lbs in 2 weeks is a lot, 2 lbs is healthy if you have 30lbs+ to lose, less than 30lbs you should only be losing 1lb a week. Losing weight rapidly will not be just fat, you will lose muscle too.

I hope for your sake you do some more research about how many calories you need to fuel your body properly. Eating so little may give you the weight you want, but not the body.

ETA: just realized you said 9lbs in 4 weeks. That isn't as bad, just a little above average..
  • IproDev
    IproDev Posts: 19
    I am new to My Fitness Pal to and I am going to fallow macro diet this way I don't have to worry about consuming less calories. Cause if you consume less calories and exercise you will get bad results.
  • nino07110922
    nino07110922 Posts: 2,149
    just joined this today have been working out eating healthy for last 4 weeks and have lost 9 pounds which for me is quiet slow I'm working out 5 days a week doing Cardio 45 mins and also 40 mins of weights on the two days I'm not in the gym doing my cardio basically today I logged my calories and work out and got feed back saying I am not eating enough calories and won't lose weight by doing this I understand the metobalism and fueling my body but I am unsure what to do if I'm burning off to many calories any suggestions and also friends on here would be much appreciated :) thanks xx

You'll see this each time you enter some of your foods throughout the day, until you get close to your calorie allowance. Don't worry about it until the end of the day. If you correctly set up your profile with height, weight, desire goals, etc. and you stay below your suggested calorie intake, you should be fine. Remember to drink lots and lots of water; add plenty of vegetables and remove some of the processed foods from your diet. Good luck to you - sounds like you're off to a great start.
  • debzz23
    thanks for the reply

I have lost 9 pounds over 4 weeks which is just a little over 2 pound per week???

previously I dropped 4 to 6 pound in the first week as I have quiet a bit to lose 35 to 40 pounds so that I understand I never got into working out like I have this time around and simply asking for feed back on calories and burning them etc

I myself want to lose weight healthily and not rapidly I never once said that .

I have lostnothing but pure fat as I am measured accurately for my fat muscle mass etc every week

I am trying to research hence the reason I put up a post

struggling to see the reason for this post
  • debzz23
    thank u niño

I am going to review my profile stats now and do as you suggested nice for some positive feedback thank u
  • debzz23
    iprodev

going to research macro now thanks for your reply

everything helps

thanks to all you guys

Debbie xxxx
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    thanks for the reply

I have lost 9 pounds over 4 weeks which is just a little over 2 pound per week???

previously I dropped 4 to 6 pound in the first week as I have quiet a bit to lose 35 to 40 pounds so that I understand I never got into working out like I have this time around and simply asking for feed back on calories and burning them etc

I myself want to lose weight healthily and not rapidly I never once said that .

I have lostnothing but pure fat as I am measured accurately for my fat muscle mass etc every week

I am trying to research hence the reason I put up a post

struggling to see the reason for this post

I presume this was in response to my post. I can tell by your words you are offended. I meant no offense, I corrected myself in stating that you were losing at just above average. That being, by research I meant on the internet, not the forums. There are some knowledgeable people here, but far more knowledgeable.

I probably should have posted links to websites for you, so here you go... http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

If you are planning on working out and don't want to worry about having a different calorie goal everyday, I would suggest eating at TDEE -20%. The goals that MFP give for protein/fat/carbs are not the best IMHO. The IIFYM method will give you more flexibility and will allow you to lose steady and give you something more sustainable.

Here is another good site http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

Best of luck, and my response was not negative. I've been where you are and confused. Best of luck
  • if you've lost 9 lbs in 4 weeks - keep doing what you're doing....it's working GREAT!
    that's a fantastic weight loss in a month!
    (I wish!)
    if you are eating <1200 calories in a day though this is not healthy especially when you are very active.
    do exactly what other mfpeeps are sayin' - eat some of your exercise calories back.
    good luck and take care :)
    Heather
  • nino07110922
    nino07110922 Posts: 2,149
    thank u niño

I am going to review my profile stats now and do as you suggested nice for some positive feedback thank u

Glad I could be of some help, Deb. I've hit a plateau in that I'm not losing any more weight. I'm still losing body fat, but am replacing it with muscle mass. The best thing about this site is that its a constant reminder to watch what you eat and get some exercise. Reading some of the posts can be pretty hysterical, too. :-)
  • debzz23
    thank u heather

I am happy myself but just got worried when MFP got back to me tonight lol
    I will keep doing what I am doing and have taken on board that I may need to up my cal intake

weigh in tomorrow with trainer so hopefully will be good news

thanks again and best of luck to u

xx
  • ericdcruz118
    ericdcruz118 Posts: 14 Member
    if you lose 9lbs in 4 weeks its a actually pretty good.. anything more than 2lbs a week i believe is pretty unhealthy.. also, to lose 1 pound you have to burn 3500 calories a week that's pretty much 500 a day..

diet wise if you're trying to lose, do a high protein low carb diet. since someone already gave you an advice about macro nutrients that will definitely help you a lot..

Good luck!
  • debzz23
    nino

I am really loving counting my fat each week as it shows that hard work still pays off even if the scale is being a b**** :)

my mam is at the same losing body fat and scale staying put but this is still so positive

well done in your loss so far and goodluck on your journey

p.s laughter burns calories to ;)

best of luck to you my friend

Debbie x
  • debzz23
    hi Eric thank u for your reply

I am following a low carb high protein diet at the moment and seem to be doing quiet well on it reading up On macro at the minute very interesting

Debbie x
This discussion has been closed.