The best thing anyone ever told me...

Psogras
Psogras Posts: 6
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I lost over 50 lbs when I first started training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu a few years ago. I'm back at it now to lose some of the weight I gained back. And that made me think of this story...

I was a new guy in the gym and that meant getting beat up a lost and gassing out almost instantly. Seriously, the first day I rolled for real I thought I was going to pass out after 20 seconds. But I kept going.

The next week I could make it like a minute of going hard each time before I would gas out and just get choked/arm barred or whatever. I apologized to this guy I was fighting and said something along the lines "I'm just so out of shape."

His response was totally simple and amazing and I've never forgotten it: "Whatever man, you're here and that's what it takes."

Keeping that in mind as I get back into shape again.

Replies

• barbie3000
    barbie3000 Posts: 73 Member
    Thanks Psogras! I love that story. Great inspiration.

(Also because Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is something I'm looking to take up when I lose a bit so always looking for those stories!)
  • Gianna44
    Gianna44 Posts: 124
    What a great quote! And good luck with your goals!
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    awesomeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    No one's ever supported me in my attempts at losing weight, but the one sentence I keep repeating myself is : "An imperfect work-out now always beats a perfect work-out delayed indefinitely."
  • Psogras
    Psogras Posts: 6
    Amen :)
  • marcy_76
    marcy_76 Posts: 48 Member
    Dude, that's so awesome!!
  • Tmoxson
    Tmoxson Posts: 19 Member
    No one's ever supported me in my attempts at losing weight, but the one sentence I keep repeating myself is : "An imperfect work-out now always beats a perfect work-out delayed indefinitely."

I needed to hear that the day. Thank you. :smile:
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    One of the treasured things in my memory file wasn't said to me but rather about me. And it wasn't anyone who had seen me so it wasn't about how I look. It is one of those things that makes you think that you have the coolest kids ever. My adult son was working all summer on a masonry crew with a guy who came up to him one day and said--"Hey, Dave, is your mom dating anyone?" Now, myself and my son's father have been married nearly 30 years and I'm not looking to date anyone I'm not married to. But to think that the stories my son told on me caused that man to think I'd be someone that he's like to know. . . .we'll now I find that cool. One of my favorite NSVs.
  • That is so good to remember! Someone once said (talking about taking up running), the absolute hardest step to take each day is the one out of your front door! That thought keeps me moving many days when I want to find an excuse not to exercise....I've just got to muster the energy for one step....the rest will follow.
  • lolsauce
    lolsauce Posts: 36 Member
    That's great. That guy sounds awesome
This discussion has been closed.