Eating unhealthy foods during maintance?

I tend to eat healthier breakfast and lunches, but snack on junk! Is that okay during maintance? Like today I snacked on Cheetos and ate a huge slice of cake yesterday. I'm trying to get the hang of maintance and i don't want to cut so loose that I start gaining! So maintainers, do you eat normal things like once a day or is it a still no chips or sweets type of attitude? Oh and I go to the gym about 3 times a week. I tend to run and do the elliptical.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Hard to say. Ultimately it comes down to your goals and your preferences.

If you are hitting your goals and have good energy for your workouts and daily life, then I see no problem with it.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Few people eat "perfectly." If you're eating junk food, make sure it's not obviously unhealthy for you (a diabetic consuming sugar) and don't let it catch up with you. If it does, scale back.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Whatever works for you is okay! I never had a goal of "clean" or "healthy" eating, so nothing was ever off limits even during weight-loss phase. Of course, I've found that all calories are not equal in how well they satisfy or how long they keep me full, so I tend to adjust away from pure sugar items such as donuts to more balanced and filling items such as eggs and lean meat or whole grain in order not to "need" more calories. But, I continue to eat some of my favorites including french fries, ice cream, cupcakes, etc. preriodically in smaller portions. As long as they fit into my calorie "budget," all is well.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I have to approach maintenance with an attitude of "it's a diet with a couple of snacks." So I mostly eat well, but my go to snacks are sweets. That said, I definitely have trouble maintaining. The sweets definitely need to be a sometime thing for me. A 15 pound weight loss is not worth no sugar .... ever again.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    IIFYM!!!!!!
  • Diane9635
    Diane9635 Posts: 4 Member
    While losing my weight I've been trying to eat within the calorie limits of my goal weight. Now that I'm pretty much at my goal, I'm not going to change the way I'm eating. I think it's important to continue logging what you eat while in maintenance, and I have the mindset that I will do this forever! My focus is to eat healthy and balanced while allowing for the occasional decadent foods that makes life enjoyable.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    I have eaten "normal" things throughout my weight loss journey and two years of maintenance. I just keep within my calorie allowance and don't overdo.

Personally, I think depriving yourself just makes you miserable and will affect your attitude towards success. This is a lifetime journey, a lifestyle change. I am not going to live like a monk forever.

I lost weight so I would live longer and happier. It's all a matter of perspective.
  • millionairesstv
    millionairesstv Posts: 55 Member
    Thank you for your post it was so informing. how to maintain weight
    x
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Just like losing weight, maintaining weight is about calories in vs calories out. Eating cake won't make you gain weight. Eating over your caloric maintenance levels will cause you to gain weight. "Healthy" vs "unhealthy" isn't the issue. You can continue to eat "clean" or "healthy", but gain weight because you are taking in more calories than you burn. Your body doesn't store fat because of the type of food you eat, and you didn't lose weight because you were eating a "clean" or "healthy" diet.

I follow flexible dieting and eat according to my macro, micro and fiber goals. If I wan't pizza or chipotle, ice cream or pop tarts I eat it, but it fits my goals. Mindless snacking and not tracking your food intake is where you will run into trouble, and this usually occurs when you restrict your diet and avoid certain foods. Once you hit your "goal" weight, that's where people tend to slack. I suggest sticking to your calorie, macro and micro goals and making room for the foods you enjoy. You want to create a lifestyle that you can continue for the long term.

^^^ this. couldn't have said it better myself.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Just like losing weight, maintaining weight is about calories in vs calories out. Eating cake won't make you gain weight. Eating over your caloric maintenance levels will cause you to gain weight. "Healthy" vs "unhealthy" isn't the issue. You can continue to eat "clean" or "healthy", but gain weight because you are taking in more calories than you burn. Your body doesn't store fat because of the type of food you eat, and you didn't lose weight because you were eating a "clean" or "healthy" diet.

I follow flexible dieting and eat according to my macro, micro and fiber goals. If I wan't pizza or chipotle, ice cream or pop tarts I eat it, but it fits my goals. Mindless snacking and not tracking your food intake is where you will run into trouble, and this usually occurs when you restrict your diet and avoid certain foods. Once you hit your "goal" weight, that's where people tend to slack. I suggest sticking to your calorie, macro and micro goals and making room for the foods you enjoy. You want to create a lifestyle that you can continue for the long term.

^^^ this. couldn't have said it better myself.

Ditto! Whether you are in maintenance, gaining or losing the quality of your food is a choice you make. It's all about the deficit when you are losing. Personally, I don't really care for chips, cakes, etc. so I don't eat them. That is just a choice I make because of what I like though. I do have other indulgences though and probably do allow myself more than I would if I was trying to lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I eat the same now at maintenance as I did when I was losing. Mostly nutrient dense whole foods with a smattering of junk here and there...but I always make sure I'm getting my proper nutrition and hitting my macros. Being at maintenance does give you some leeway in that you simply have more calories to work with..but going overboard on junk can be a slipery slope to old eating habits.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    For most people, learning how to incorporate "junk" food into the overall diet is part of the overall fitness journey. When I was working of fat loss/getting leaner, I followed an eating plan that was pretty rigorous and I was unhappy. Once I switched to tracking via MFP, I was much happier being able to fit in reasonably-sized portions of ice cream when I could.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    I try to keep the crap out of the house. Not saying I'll never eat it again but that's my first line of defense.

I also find that the crap is pretty high in calories and brings me to my limit much faster.

I burn 1500 calories daily and have my calories set at 1300. I just got into maintenance but it took 6 months to lose the last 3 lbs. I average 1,450 calories daily. I had tried to set my limit at 1500 a couple times but I always go over so 1300 it is!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    In a normal day I probably wouldn't have Cheetos and cake. If I have one junk food type thing, that's usually it.
  • crayonbreakywillow
    crayonbreakywillow Posts: 44 Member
    I ate cake while losing weight and I eat cake in maintenance. I ate cake last night. My philosophy is and has been throughout, that I did not want to do something I felt was unrealistic. I did not want to deprive myself of certain foods, knowing I could not live without cake for the rest of my life.

I eat what I want, I just stay within my calorie goal. I try to choose mostly healthier things because you get more bang for your calorie buck, but that being said I always allow for snacking and indulging in my diet.

I remember a week during weight loss that was one of my most successful, highest loss weeks ever, and I had eaten cake every single night that week!

Calories in vs. calories out!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    I ate cake while losing weight and I eat cake in maintenance. I ate cake last night. My philosophy is and has been throughout, that I did not want to do something I felt was unrealistic. I did not want to deprive myself of certain foods, knowing I could not live without cake for the rest of my life.

I eat what I want, I just stay within my calorie goal. I try to choose mostly healthier things because you get more bang for your calorie buck, but that being said I always allow for snacking and indulging in my diet.

I remember a week during weight loss that was one of my most successful, highest loss weeks ever, and I had eaten cake every single night that week!

Calories in vs. calories out!
    Ditto, except replace cake with chocolate.

Now that I am in maintenance, I have more wiggle room, but I still eat pretty much the same.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member

I've seen this several times in various threads and just do not agree. I don't think you can make a one size fits all answer. Personally, if I eat a excessive amount of carbs, it makes a big difference in whether I maintain my weight as opposed to eating a higher percentage of protein.

And what I could do in my 20's and 30's is much different than what happens now. I have to be so much more disciplined. Sad, but true.
  • I eat EVERYTHING! :D
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    It all depends. How are you feeling? Do you feel full, or are you constantly having more cravings? Are you energetic, or lethargic? If your body seems to be handling it well, then nothing is wrong with a little indulgence! However, if you're noticing weight gain, and mood swings, then you might need to cut back a little more. :)