5K on November 3

My office is sponsoring a 5k run/walk for a fundraiser in November. I've decided to try to complete it - walking, not running. I'm very much a couch potato, so I think this will be good for me.

And having said that, I'm terrified of looking like an idiot.

My plan is to try to walk on my treadmill every day from now until then. Other than that, I'm looking for any helpful advice.

Replies

• TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Start out walking and varying your speeds. If you want to try running, try a free Couch25k app. I was never a runner, ever. I did the C25K and I will be doing my third 5K this Saturday. I am coming in around 35 minutes with a walk/run approach. You can do it! Glad to see it is for a good cause too!
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    You should probably try walking outside at least a few times before the actual 5K. Some people find quite a difference between the treadmill and and other surfaces.

Walk on surfaces like the 5K will be (pavement, dirt, etc. ) . Or even walk the course if convenient. Walk in the clothes and shoes you plan to do the 5K in. If they chafe or rub, it could be really irritating during and after the 5K.

Its a great goal. Good luck and have fun!
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    I highly recommend Couch to 5k. I used the active.com version. I started last Labor Day weekend and ran my first 5k the first weekend of October. It was the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure 5k. I jogged / walked the whole thing. But I made sure to save a last burst of energy so I would run over the finish line. :smile:

You will do great. A fund raser for your first event is awesome. Knowing I was running for a cause really helped push me through my first 5k.

Good luck!!
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    I'm doing some walking outside already - one of my coworkers and I spend the last 15 minutes of our lunch hour walking around the courtyard at work (we walk up and down the halls in bad weather). This walking is done in my work shoes (over-the-ankle steel-toe boots) which aren't the best thing for 5K. On the treadmill, I wear my three-year-old no-name sneakers that are my usual weekend footgear.

I'm planning to buy new shoes next month. Is there such a thing as a shoe that is good for walking AND beginning running? My long term goal is to be able to run, and buying two pairs of shoes is simply not in my budget.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    I'm planning to buy new shoes next month. Is there such a thing as a shoe that is good for walking AND beginning running? My long term goal is to be able to run, and buying two pairs of shoes is simply not in my budget.

If you have a local running store, have them fit you for sneakers. Tell them you are just starting out and will be walking / jogging / running and need something that can accomodate that. I'm thinking they will fit you in some sort of cross trainer. I fit myself at DSW for my first running shoes. It is just about time for a new pair. I plan on going to Marathon Sports to get properly fitted.

Good luck!!