Chlorophyll Allergy

Hi, I have just discovered this app this month.

I have been losing weight since January 2008 when I was shocked by my post-Chrismas weight of 26st 7lbs (371 lbs).

I am now getting close to my target of 15st 10lbs (220 lbs) but it is getting harder.

Part of the reason for this is that I am allergic to chlorophyll (meaning I can't eat any green vegetables or salad) and so cannot do the usual 'trick' of filling up on stuff like that.

Does anyone have any good ideas for filling foods I could eat?

Also, if there are any others who have the same problem as me, I would live to hear from you.

Replies

• msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    When I first saw your topic I was thinking of "chloroform"... and I was thinking this was just going to be a silly thread. :P

Anyway, filling stuff thats NOT green veggies? Hmmm...for snacks maybe you can do high protein/ fat items like plain greek yogurt, almonds... etc.

For meals why not try lean chicken with whole grain rice, along with vegetables that aren't starchy but aren't green veggies?
  • Thank you msliu7911 for answering. The routine I have been following has involved eating well without depriving myself. I already eat things like brown rice. I often use it with just a little mince and some red onion to make stuffed tomatoes and red peppers. What I am hoping for is something new. I enjoy chillies and curries, I love fruits and most of the vegetables I am allowed to eat. One meal a day is just fruit and/or vegetables and I drink at least 2 litres of water a day, usually more. I am hoping to come across someone else who shares my allergy as well as hearing ideas and suggestions from this supportive and knowledgeable communit out there.

Best regards

Colin
  • sweetieme1976
    sweetieme1976 Posts: 1 Member
    I actually have a chlorophyll allergy. Any time I eat anything green (or if it was once green, like tea, herbs, spices etc) I get very ill. I will have flu like symptoms for three to four days depending on how much I have eaten or how dark green it is. I have talked to many doctors and nutritionists who shake their heads and think I am just being a picky eater or stubborn about veggies. Unfortunately, I can't eat fruits that I love either. I am also allergic to honey and tree nuts, Anyway. I did finally find a doctor to listen and has confirmed the allergy, but it doesn't help with the whole "diet" situation. I eat a lot of berries, melons and peaches. the only thing I can handle sparingly is romaine lettuce and the insides of a cucumber. I am happy for you for getting to where you are from where you were. I have also read a few things about eating things you are allergic to, can cause you to retain fluids and actually prohibit losing weight. Good luck on your journey!
  • melrus
    melrus Posts: 1 Member
    I also have an allergy to chlorophyll. Raw green vegetables cause a variety of symptoms: itchy throat, fever, jitters, an itch deep in my muscles that make me want to rip my skin back and scratch deep, inability to digest salad so that it will sit in my stomach for days. I have found two things that help. One is to heat the greens just until they wilt which, for me, changes the chlorophyll enough to reduce the reaction. Two, I take an enzyme called Serrapeptase twice a day along with benadryl, probiotics and casgrada Sahara to assist with digestion. As long as I don't eat too much I have minimal reaction. Hope this helps others out there.
  • HellenKouf
    HellenKouf Posts: 1 Member
    I have an allergy to chlorophyll and have spent my life having to explain it to the skeptics. I find it difficult figuring out what to eat. In addition, I am also lactose intolerant. I try to eat fruit but tend to forget. What I have been doing recently…is to eat more fish and lean proteins.
  • sicl12
    sicl12 Posts: 1 Member
    I am allergic to Chlorophyll. My diet is high protein and tubulars for the most part. Nuts and fruits for snacks.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    I confess Chlorophyll allergy is new to me. I'm on my to overcoming salicylate intolerance/sensitivity which it was nigh on impossible to get any general help with years ago in the UK.

Fortunately most people are able eliminate dietary salicylate with no issues at all but some of us react to salicylate a substance many plants use to protect themselves from moulds and mildews. Reacting to green tea, herbs and spices could corollate with salicylate issues as does having issues with green leafy veg. Way back I would be ill near a field of flowering sweet corn even Pelargoniums would do me no good. There is much more information available about it now than there was 12 or more years ago. No one would induce me to take an aspirin even now. So much can come down to having a good endocrine system.

Really only wanted to say. Wishing you all the very best because this kind of thing is virtually impossible to get real help with.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,973 Member
    I admit it's mostly fruit/veggies, but you might want to take a quick browse through the volume eaters thread for ideas:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread/p1

There are recipes for protein fluff, and such, interspersed in there.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Explore what fruits, vegetables are chlorophyll free. A 2 minute research on the topic (not to be taken as fact, but to discuss with your doctor and/or nutrionist) says root vegetables and fruits do not have chlorophyll. So carrots, cucumbers, zucchini (its a fruit) and similar low cal foods could be used to increase your quantity of food for very little calories.