PROTEIN POWDERS... ALL THE SAME?

I wanted to get some input on protein powder for women. there is sooo may brands out there than im beyond confused. Im looking for a protein shake that is low in calories, carbs and sugars. one that i dont feel guilty for drinking after a workout.

im a F 5'5 148lbs. work out 4-5 times a week (nothing too heavy, just toning and lots of cardio)

I want a one that i can drink with some fresh fruit (obviously keeping track of sugar intake etc.)

any good ones that you guys can recommend? :smile: :smile:

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    You only need a protein powder if you don't hit your protein goals through real food.

There are tons of options out there... whey, casein, pea protein, hemp protein, egg protein, soy protein.

If you really want to use one pick one that you prefer and that fits into your budget. On days I won't hit my protein goals I use a vanilla flavour one that I blend with milk and some frozen fruit.

At your height and weight I would recommend you start lifting heavy and eating a bit more as you will end up building muscle which will help the look of your body. Toning doesn't really exist.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard is a good quality, average priced, Protein Powder mix. It is available in many flavors. Amazon is about the best place to get it for a good price.

I use it, and the Pro Complex .....
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Have used a few brands. By far my favorite is Truetein.
    Optimum is good too. But for the small price increase, I'd rather have the truetein.
  • wesleycneill
    wesleycneill Posts: 64 Member
    You only need a protein powder if you don't hit your protein goals through real food.

There are tons of options out there... whey, casein, pea protein, hemp protein, egg protein, soy protein.

If you really want to use one pick one that you prefer and that fits into your budget. On days I won't hit my protein goals I use a vanilla flavour one that I blend with milk and some frozen fruit.

At your height and weight I would recommend you start lifting heavy and eating a bit more as you will end up building muscle which will help the look of your body. Toning doesn't really exist.

This is correct information. Protein powder is only useful as a tool to hit your daily macros. "anabolic windows" and "fast digesting whey for protein synthesis" are marketing tools to get you to buy expensive supplements. If you want citation on that, send me a message and I will provide.

That being said, for me personally, I aim at a 1 to 1.5 gram intake of protein per pound of body weight based on my fitness goals of maximum muscle retention while I cut fat. That is somewhat difficult to do unless I want to eat lean chicken for every meal. I prefer Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey based upon its price point and variety of flavors. But anything you can suck down with out throwing up because of the taste will get you there.

Also, I agree with the last part of his statement. Toning only happens two ways: Fat loss or muscle gain. Lifting light weight is neither going to burn many calories or build your muscles up. If you want to slim down with out getting too bulky, cardio is a better option, but get a couple heavy lifts per week to ensure that your body doesn't start eating into your muscles as a source of energy.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Trutein and ON are the best.

But I'm cheap and go through a lot of protein. So Body Fortress at walmart for $15 is good enough. I recommend vanilla for fruit and the chocolate is decent too. The Chocolate peanut butter was so gross I couldn't use it all...YMMV.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member

But I'm cheap and go through a lot of protein. So Body Fortress at walmart for $15 is good enough. I recommend vanilla for fruit and the chocolate is decent too. The Chocolate peanut butter was so gross I couldn't use it all...YMMV.

I would only add that although the directions say you can, don't use water (eww) and don't stir (double eww). Use milk and a blender for best taste and consistency.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member

I would only add that although the directions say you can, don't use water (eww) and don't stir (double eww). Use milk and a blender for best taste and consistency.
    Some taste god awful in water whereas a few, such as any flavor of Trutein, tastes quite good. I do prefer mixing it whole milk, though, whether or not I include frozen fruit.
  • I've been looking for a good way to increase my protein and still keep the fat intake down.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/protein-powder

is a good artical about protein powders in general. I'm reving up my workouts and I'm only meeting about 3/4 of my protein needs for my new routein so I'm adding in protein powder shakes while I work on reaching my goals. I'm glad to see some recommendations about which powders are the best.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Isopure Dutch Chocolate, it's almost pure protein (1g of fat, and 3g of carbs with 0g of sugar) and tastes way better than any Optimum Nutrition whey I've had, that's just personal preference though.
  • caseyjmc
    caseyjmc Posts: 37 Member
    My favorite is Cytosport Vanilla 100% Whey Protein from Costco. Low in fat, sugar, carbs, high in protein. I use my magic bullet with frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, frozen cucumbers, 1 T. ground golden flaxseed, and about a cup of Soy Slender vanilla. Add cinnamon or other flavorings if you want.
  • michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard is a good quality, average priced, Protein Powder mix. It is available in many flavors. Amazon is about the best place to get it for a good price.

This ^ and I use it also ... most come in low or no sugar but the amount of calories is going to depend on the amount of protein as well. I also use Designer Whey Protein which has a lot less other "stuff" in it and only 100 cal per serving - fat 2g; Total Carb 6g; Sugar 2g; and Protein 18g.
  • SRDraper89
    SRDraper89 Posts: 2 Member
    I use my Protein as an after workout thing to help from not being so hungry after an extreme workout. I use NLA WHEY for her has a lot of aminos, vitamins, it is made for women specifically and our needs. Its awesome! I have Chocolate Éclair flavored. I have had about 5 different shakes and protein shakes and my Whey for her is the best I have ever had.
  • AmyByExample
    AmyByExample Posts: 422 Member
    My sister got me hooked on the Arbonne protein powder - dairy & I don't mix well, so whey based protein doesn't work well for me. I like that it is Vegan, no artificial colors, sweeteners, etc. I know part of the protein source is Pea, not sure about the other...

Tastes great for me mixed with water (I then shake w/ice cubes so it's wicked cold).

So many brands out there - find what works for you (some are pretty gross/chalky, so buy small until you find a brand u like)

Hugs & best wishes,

Amy :)
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    I just started using Vega protein powder and really like it. It's a pea protein powder and it's the only protein powder I've tried that hasn't upset my stomach. If you have a Whole Foods near you, you can buy individual packets of different protein powders to try - that's how I settled on Vega.
  • Muscle Pharm Banana Cream is by far the best tasting protein I have ever had, and it mixes in both water and milk.

I get it off of bb.com.
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member

They sell ON at RiteAid now...it was on sale, 50% off, the other day!
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    I have to use a protein powder which doesn't contain any of the following:
    -- sucralose (splenda), inulin, sugar alcohols, fructose ... basically a fructose/fructan free

My choices in powders are very limited. Jay Robb's Whey, Nutiva Hemp, and an organic whey protein (the name escapes me) are the brands I prefer.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Right now, I'm using Cytosport chocolate from Costco, only because it was so expensive I can't bear to just throw it away. No more expensive than others really, but of course, the bag is SO big, so it cost a lot! I don't like it at all.

I LOVE Metabolic Reset (chocolate and vanilla), which I was able to find at Safeway in Colorado, but since moving to Minnesota, I get it from Amazon. I just got a new delivery yesterday, but I'm going to make myself finish the Cytosport first!
  • I just use PB2 and put some egg whites in my smoothies =D
  • Muscle Pharm Banana Cream is by far the best tasting protein I have ever had, and it mixes in both water and milk.

I get it off of bb.com.

Muscle Pharm anything is awesome! I use Assault for my pre-workout!