Is it okay to go to bed hungry?

Replies

• I'd have a snack. Going to bed hungry is the worst... whenever I do that I wake up absolutely starving.

I actually make sure to save some calories for a late-night snack. I take my dogs for a walk around 10pm and I'm always a bit hungry when I get back.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    I'm no professional, but here's my two cents.

1. Eating immediately before bed doesn't give your body the chance to use the energy you just consumed, so it goes straight to energy storage... fat.

False.

Your post is useless without elaboration.

This myth has been busted at least 3 billion times on these forums alone. It's not even worth the time it takes to refute it again (and again, and again). It's not true, never has been true and a quick google search (or search of these forums) brings a wealth of information.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member

1. Eating immediately before bed doesn't give your body the chance to use the energy you just consumed, so it goes straight to energy storage... fat.

If you are eating at a deficit that is not possible. The body can not distinguish between calories digested while waking and calories digested while sleeping, or the calories needed to just survive ( while sleeping ) and those used when doing other activities. Sorry, you are the victim of misinformation.
  • UmmaOfThree
    UmmaOfThree Posts: 31 Member
    I discovered that eating a few slices of watermelon works wonders for this.
  • laurenschultz96
    laurenschultz96 Posts: 7 Member
    I generally decide to snack depending on how many calories I have left, if any. I usually don't, so late night snacks aren't an option. I also find that when I go to sleep hungry, I wake up not hungry at all and eat less at breakfast than I would if I HAD snacked.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    I would eat. I don't care if I go over my calories, going to bed hungry SUCKS. Being miserable will greatly reduce the chances of long-term success too. If you're hungry now, imagine how you feel when you wake up at 4AM and now you're starving. Just eat a filling snack and be done with it (some protein works great for me).

Edit: I just checked and you have a couple hundred calories left for the day (and yesterday). Just eat. You have the allowance, use it. Shouldn't even be a question.

Interesting advice. 1. If you go over your calories you enter the maintenance stage so you're no longer losing weight. This is like saying "who cares, eat the pizza if you want to because depriving your wants sucks" 2. Cardio, in the morning on an empty stomach, has shown over and over to burn more fat than at other times and other exercises. Specifically, high intensity interval training. You're hungry..so what? Some people max out their calories for the day early, suck it up and keep your eye on the goal!

She has something like 250 calories left for the day to meet her goal. Maintenance is probably at least 500 more than that. She has plenty of buffer room. Starving yourself is a terrible idea. Long-term diet adherence is priority #1 and intentional suffering will cause even the strongest person to fail eventually. That's why I suggest eating. Even if she ate at maintenance, who cares? It's one day. Long-term adherence is all that matters. I've had many days where I ate at maintenance, probably one/two hundred. I've had probably another hundred where I ate over maintenance, sometimes to the tune of 1000, 2000, 3000 calories over maintenance. Still going strong (90lbs down) because I don't make myself suffer.

I have no idea why you're talking about fasted cardio in the morning, it has nothing to do with the conversation. Doing fasted cardio is extremely overrated. The most ripped people I know don't even do any cardio at all, nevermind fasted cardio. Regardless, even if she eats right now then she will still be plenty fasted by morning after 6-8 hours of sleep. So it's pretty pointless to use that for any sort of talking point.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member

False.

This myth has been busted at least 3 billion times on these forums alone. It's not even worth the time it takes to refute it again (and again, and again). It's not true, never has been true and a quick google search (or search of these forums) brings a wealth of information.

yup

I think I'm gonna start telling people to not eat on their lunch break if they have a desk job. I'll say since they're sitting in a chair and not using their calories after they eat they're gonna get fat. Then when they tell me stop, you're being ridiculous, I'll just say that what's ridiculous is your logic for not eating before bed. Problem solved!
  • going to bed hungry is a no-no. maybe once or twice a year is ok, but no more than that.

Just curious, not looking for drama/trouble......why ? Are you aware that about 40% of the world's population on any given night go to bed hungry and I have never seen a study that mentions it to be bad. I think it is bad if it is a way of life, but the occasional little bit hunger at night is not bad at all.
    Often if people are consistently hungry at night, even after a full dinner it is because they eat too many processed and refined calories. A little more quality protein or complex carbs, or better both at dinner will usually take care of the before bed munchies.
    '

This. Up the protein.
  • The OP is probably sleep already... hahaha
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    going to bed hungry is a no-no. maybe once or twice a year is ok, but no more than that.

Just curious, not looking for drama/trouble......why ? Are you aware that about 40% of the world's population on any given night go to bed hungry and I have never seen a study that mentions it to be bad. I think it is bad if it is a way of life, but the occasional little bit hunger at night is not bad at all.
    Often if people are consistently hungry at night, even after a full dinner it is because they eat too many processed and refined calories. A little more quality protein or complex carbs, or better both at dinner will usually take care of the before bed munchies.

I live in the first world. I was born into luxuries compared to a large percentage of the rest of the world. Luxuries which I take for granted. Having plenty of food in my house and eating it when I'm hungry is one of them. Going to bed hungry makes me sad. Being sad means not being at my best. I want to be at my best.
  • taso42

False.

False. Because science.
  • oOxXxOo
    oOxXxOo Posts: 75 Member
    Personally I would eat. If you have calories left, eat them. If you dont have calories left eat something light and balance the cals over a few days so your weekly average balances out. All works out in the wash.
  • You seem to have just chosen one side of an unresolved subject as gospel truth- searching yields plenty of results for both arguments.
  • taso42
    You seem to have just chosen one side of an unresolved subject as gospel truth- searching yields plenty of results for both arguments.

This is well resolved. Keep studying. It will eventually click.
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    I've read some articles that say not eating after a certain time is basically an urban legend. Just save some of your calorie allotment for a bedtime snack. That's the key.
  • Ang108
    Starving yourself is a terrible idea.

Yes, but going to bed with a slight hunger or craving every once in a while is not " starving yourself " except maybe here in MFP.
    The Medical Dictionary, as well as the WHO and UNICEF define starvation as " the result of a severe or total lack of nutrients needed for the maintenance of life ". I don't think that not having a snack one night qualifies as " severe and total lack of nutrients ".
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    You seem to have just chosen one side of an unresolved subject as gospel truth- searching yields plenty of results for both arguments.

This is well resolved. Keep studying. It will eventually click.

yep.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    It's fine, 11:37 here and I'm having some Del Taco. My last meal of the day typically comes between 11:00 and midnight. Your body doesn't know what time it is, it just knows it's hungry, and it'll continue to burn calories as you sleep.

Rigger
  • Ang108
    [/quote]

I live in the first world. I was born into luxuries compared to a large percentage of the rest of the world. Luxuries which I take for granted. Having plenty of food in my house and eating it when I'm hungry is one of them. Going to bed hungry makes me sad. Being sad means not being at my best. I want to be at my best.
    [/quote]

As i said in a previous post, people need to do what they like. I just don't like it when misinformation is spread.
    Maybe you are not aware, but even in your first world country ( whichever it might be ) there are probably millions of people who go to bed hungry each night.....usually it has to do with poverty .
    But that was not my point. My point was that I have never heard/read anything about it being dangerous to one's health to go to bed occasionally hungry, except of course here on MFP.
  • taso42

As i said in a previous post, people need to do what they like. I just don't like it when misinformation is spread.
    Maybe you are not aware, but even in your first world country ( whichever it might be ) there are probably millions of people who go to bed hungry each night.....usually it has to do with poverty .
    But that was not my point. My point was that I have never heard/read anything about it being dangerous to one's health to go to bed occasionally hungry, except of course here on MFP.

And I never claimed it was dangerous. I'm just not a fan of being unkind to oneself is all.