Iron Fortified Cereal or Pop Tarts?

Replies

• newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Cream of wheat had 66% of your daily recommended iron. I make mine with water and a bit of honey :smile:
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    I think vit C is supposed to help with iron absorption. Can you take the iron supplement at another time of the day, like before you go to bed? It does cause stomach discomfort or pain, but if you take it alone without other food it would help with absorption. You could always eat the cereal plain as a snack later in the day and skip the milk. Pop tarts are not very healthy.

Just wanted to add that usually it is best to not try to make up nutritional deficits with processed foods. There are better ways to improve your diet. Sorry, I work in healthcare and this kind of thing secretly really grinds my gears. Please take your health seriously.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    coffee also inhibits iron absorption but vitamin C and alcohol increase it. might need to replace your morning coffee with a mimosa.

Pop Tarts + Mimosa = The Breakfast of Champions.

YES! You are a genius!!!!
  • cappri
    How about just a multivitamin with iron in it? Also I work for a gastroenterologist and when he prescribes iron for his anemic patients he also has them take vitamin C because it helps your body absorb iron better. Just a thought. SD

I do take a multivitamin, and have just been prescribed an iron supplement to take 3 times a day. The doctor didn't say anything about adding in more vitamin C. I do eat a lot of fruit so that might not be an issue.
  • cappri
    Cream of wheat had 66% of your daily recommended iron. I make mine with water and a bit of honey :smile:

I like cream of wheat I'll look at that.
  • cappri
    Pop tarts or cereal - neither! Red meat has iron. That fortified stuff may or may not be used by your body. Processed food is no place to get good nutrition.

Processed food often tastes really good though.
  • cappri
    How about having a liver sandwich, but instead of bread use pop tarts

Gross! How about I replace the liver with peanut butter, that would be yummy.
  • cappri
    I think vit C is supposed to help with iron absorption. Can you take the iron supplement at another time of the day, like before you go to bed? It does cause stomach discomfort or pain, but if you take it alone without other food it would help with absorption. You could always eat the cereal plain as a snack later in the day and skip the milk. Pop tarts are not very healthy.

Just wanted to add that usually it is best to not try to make up nutritional deficits with processed foods. There are better ways to improve your diet. Sorry, I work in healthcare and this kind of thing secretly really grinds my gears. Please take your health seriously.

Thanks for the concern. I do take my health with a good amount of seriousness. If you don't find the humor in somethings though it can be terribly depressing. Plus I really do like pop tarts!
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Its defiinitely recommended to take iron supplements with Vit C, a small glass of OJ at the same time should be fine. Also, iron can make you constipated.... oh and it can make your poo black.... just thought I'd warn you about that in case you didn't know, can look a little freaky! lol
  • PLAIN CHEERIOS. They're better for the environment than meat and poptarts. Pop tarts aren't nearly as filling and the gelatin is made with ground up animal bone!

Cheerios can be spiced up with banana, blueberries, ect. Poptarts = sugar.
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Flaxseed in live yoghurt.
  • Bigjuicyhog
    Bigjuicyhog Posts: 61 Member
    I think I just threw up in my mouth a little,
    I would rather eat an iron skillet than liver.

More for me!

Though you are missing out on liverwurst (like, delicious bologna), pate, FOIE GRAS (though not as good as other livers as an iron source)...

Delicious bologna is an oxymoron.
  • Bigjuicyhog
    This sounds like the new Carl's Jr ice cream sandwich....only with liver and disgusting instead!
  • cappri
    PLAIN CHEERIOS. They're better for the environment than meat and poptarts.

Seriously?
  • cappri
    I think I just threw up in my mouth a little,
    I would rather eat an iron skillet than liver.

More for me!

Though you are missing out on liverwurst (like, delicious bologna), pate, FOIE GRAS (though not as good as other livers as an iron source)...

Delicious bologna is an oxymoron.

I love bologna. Especially a good bologna and butter sandwich on that sticky white bread. YUM!
  • Bigjuicyhog
    Better for the environment? Do they make you fart less or something?
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Cook in cast iron skillet as you will get iron trough that.
    spinach omelets
    spinach quiche
    bon appetit
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Is there some reason you don't want to just eat meat? Liver has tons of iron if you like liver at all, but also red meat, dark chicken, spinach...

Liver, Pop Tarts, Liver l, Pot Tarts.....hmmmmm.........I think I know which one I'm choosing.

I pick liver. That stuff is delicious.
    I told my dad I wanted dibs on his lamb liver when they have the sheep butchered :)

Seriously, liver has gobs of nutrients but if you hate it just eat a steak!
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    For those using spinach as a way to boost iron, give this a read.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/drawback-using-spinach-iron-supplement-7894.html
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    3188584-whynotboth_zpsaab5bae0.jpg