how to make coffee not taste like coffee?

I hate coffee/espresso, but I choke it down sometimes for the caffeine when I'm fed up with tea. In Texas last week I went to a gas station called QT and they had this coffee mocha thing that I swear tastes just like really really sweet hot chocolate and it was AAAAMAZING.

Anyway I bet it was 1000 calories and 800 grams of sugar, but I was wondering if anyone knows a health-friendly way to achieve a similar taste? Cocoa powder and stevia or something?

Or any other ways to mask the coffee-ness of coffee?

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    My bad, didn't see you said you were fed up with tea. Just buy hot chocolate packets. They make no-sugar-added ones, too. Problem solved.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Mix Swiss Miss with coffee.

It comes in different types ranging from diet to extra rich. (I think packets range from like 60-150).
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    1/4 c. unsweetened almond milk and 1 tbs fat free flavored coffee creamer.

Or explore other caffeine options.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    I bring along 8 oz. unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a pack of Stevia in the raw since I live in the sticks and we have no fancy coffee places just crappy convenience stores.

It's silly but I get a 24 oz cup, fill it 3/4, leaving room for my milk and that ratio works for me.
    I only do it like once a week as a treat.

Have you tried Vanilla Chai? To me, that's a happy place somewhere in between.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    If you dislike coffee and espresso, find another source for caffeine.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    My bad, didn't see you said you were fed up with tea. Just buy hot chocolate packets. They make no-sugar-added ones, too. Problem solved.
    Yeah, I've done that before. You can also buy mocha creamer, but I wouldn't try to force coffee if I didn't like coffee...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I hate coffee/espresso, but I choke it down sometimes for the caffeine when I'm fed up with tea. In Texas last week I went to a gas station called QT and they had this coffee mocha thing that I swear tastes just like really really sweet hot chocolate and it was AAAAMAZING.

Anyway I bet it was 1000 calories and 800 grams of sugar, but I was wondering if anyone knows a health-friendly way to achieve a similar taste? Cocoa powder and stevia or something?

Or any other ways to mask the coffee-ness of coffee?

Just pop caffeine pills then
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    I also suggest you look for coffee that light roast if you don't already. It's less bitter and has a higher caffeine content. I used to not like coffee but then i realized i just don't like dark roast, or really even medium roast for that matter.

I know some people (like others suggested) that use the powdered hot chocolate and mix it in. I'm a fan of the International Delight Cinnabon coffee creamer. It's 35 cals for a Tbsp, and if I want it really sweet i'll go nuts and use 2 Tbsp for a total of 70 cals. Totally worth it for the treat.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    I use the coffee mate sugar free creamer. One tablespoon and I love the way it tastes for only 15 cals.
  • I just wish coffee tasted like the fresh ground beans smell, if it did I probably wouldn't consume anything else.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    They have all sorts of creamers in the dairy section. You should try the cinnamon. OMG, it's so good. I'm not a major coffee drinker, but when I do drink it, I use splenda instead of regular sugar and then add creamer. I can't taste the diff between the fat free and reg creamer, so if you're worried about fat/cals, try fat free creamer. You can add vanilla, cinnamon, whatever you want.

I also recently tried Vanilla Almondmilk and added splenda and cinnamon. I used it as a drink, but you can add it to your coffee, too.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Monster Java
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I don't like the taste of coffee so I don't drink it.

Why would you ever force yourself to consume something that you don't like?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member

Exactly.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    is getting more sleep maybe an option?

Don't get me wrong, I love coffee, but if you are just after caffeine, there are pills and such for that. And sleep.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    It's a slippery slope you're embarking on... first you start with the lattes and mochas... and next thing you know it'll be freshly ground dark roast guzzled by the pot and straight black.
  • michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    I wish I could give credit to the original MFP poster but I didn't save the thread, her suggestion was adding a scoop of chocolate protein to the coffee. I've since tried it and now have it almost daily. It tastes like chocolate mocha.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member

Exactly.

Because black coffee is free in the design building at my college and tea is not and I like free things and caffeine. If I could find a way to make it palatable that would be preferable to buying tea at starbucks or drinking cold tea from home. I like hot tea. The architecture people guard their microwave jealously.

Also my boyfriend has a coffee machine so if I find a way that I really like i could make it at home too.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    well, grinding the coffee beans by yourself or on a machine softens the taste. :) just experiment with it, add some taste like vanilla, chocolate etc.. you'll find yours.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    If you decide to make it yourself, you might want to try acid-free coffee. You can probably find in Whole Foods or other similar types of stores. It really doesn't taste like coffee at all and all the bitterness is taken out. I don't know how I feel about it personally, I'd have to try it again.