Confused about Net calories

Options
kira_maori
kira_maori Posts: 4
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
So I logged in my foods and exercise, and MFP said I had 291 Net calories, and 1029 calories remaining. What are Net calories? When I went to complete my log-ins for today, MFP said I'm eating "too few calories" and that I may be putting my body into starvation mode. Does that mean that the more I work out, the more I should eat? I'm not used to eating 3 big meals, but 2 small meals and a whole bunch of snacks. I cut out all the snacks and drinks today, but I didn't think that was such a big part of my caloric diet until now.

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Your NET calories should match your goal calories every day. Which means that if you exercise, you should eat back most or all of your exercise calories. The calorie goal that MFP gives you when you enter your information is a number that already includes the necessary deficit for weight loss. Exercising burns more calories and creates more of a deficit, and having too large of a deficit can be counterproductive and even unhealthy.

It doesn't matter how many meals and snacks you eat every day or what time you eat them. You can split your calories up in any way that works best for you. Just make sure to meet your calorie goal every day and eat back your exercise calories.
  • kira_maori
    Options
    Oh, okay. Thanks. I'll keep that in mind tomorrow.
  • Blesmols
    Blesmols Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that about the net calorie situation. Thank you for clarifying it! :)
This discussion has been closed.