Ate a home cooked meal and feel guilty

Even though I had planned to make Sunday's a cheat day so to speak. I feel guilty. Like I should have just ate healthier. I had dinner just now and I loved it but I just felt like I was doing something wrong... Anyone else feels that way?

Replies

• niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    What's so bad about a home cooked meal?!
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    All my meals are home cooked. Home cooked and made with fresh ingredients. Lots of veggies, protein, taste!

What was so bad about your meal?
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Maybe don't think of the days you zig zag your calories as "cheating"? Then you have nothing to feel guilty about. Doing a zig zag twice a week ain't a bad thing!

You didn't do anything wrong. And your week will probably still balance out.

The only reason why I say probably and not like for sure is because I don't know what you ate. Iif your homecooked meal was very heavy in sodium, you're going to possibly have water weight gain tomorrow.

And if you're in the mindset that food is bad and you cheated on yourself like a dirty adultress with a spoon of doom, you're going to feel like your sins have be recognized on your scale come Monday morning.

So, anyhoo! Don't do that to yourself. :)

Nothing bad happened here.
  • EmpoweredMimi
    EmpoweredMimi Posts: 18 Member
    Thank you so much for the positive feedback. I believe the sodium was pretty high. I just felt guilty eating it. For the past two weeks I have been eating so good.

I ate stewed pork chops some mashed potatoes and peas with gravy

Tomorrow I will be back on track. You made me feel better than I was feeling before.
  • You're going to ruin any "treat" you ever have if you keep thinking like that, and you're also turning food into the enemy!

You enjoyed your meal, that's all that matters.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Sodium doesn't make you fatter - so who cares what the sodium intake was? lol
  • EmpoweredMimi
    Maybe don't think of the days you zig zag your calories as "cheating"? Then you have nothing to feel guilty about. Doing a zig zag twice a week ain't a bad thing!

You didn't do anything wrong. And your week will probably still balance out.

The only reason why I say probably and not like for sure is because I don't know what you ate. Iif your homecooked meal was very heavy in sodium, you're going to possibly have water weight gain tomorrow.

And if you're in the mindset that food is bad and you cheated on yourself like a dirty adultress with a spoon of doom, you're going to feel like your sins have be recognized on your scale come Monday morning.

So, anyhoo! Don't do that to yourself. :)

Nothing bad happened here.

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. I believe the sodium was pretty high. I just felt guilty eating it. For the past two weeks I have been eating so good.

Tomorrow I will be back on track. You made me feel better than I was feeling before.
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member

Oh don't feel bad. Maybe your sodium was too high. I eat that way sometimes. I am a sucker for the flavored instant mashed potatoes, Can you say "HELLO SODIUM?' I just make sure I drink enough water to go with it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    If that's a cheat meal, what the heck are you eating the other days?? My evening meals are chops and mash, bangers and mash, burgers with oven fries, roasts with potatoes and gravy...
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    pork chops = meat = protein and a good source of iron

mashed potatos = starchy vegetable and vitamin c and it wasnt cooked in oil

green peas is fibre, vitamin c and one of your five a day vegetables

all sound good to me and the gravy can be counted in calorie wise
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Leading a healthy lifestyle does not require 100% obeisance to an ideal. It means living a normal, healthy life. Work on having a healthier attitude toward food and your own behaviors. If anything that varies from perfection is by definition failure in your eyes, get yourself some psychological counseling ASAP! That's no way to live your life. It's too hard on you.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Umm, if I have a day when I go over by pretty much double-treble my cals & ram 1/2 a cheese cake down my throat I then beat myself up over it. :blushing: What you've eaten sounds like a well balanced meal. I don't get the worry over it? You mentioned clean eating in another thread. Is that the issue behind this?
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    we all eat that kind of meal sometimes orat least the way you name it. We do need that once in a while to "treat " ourself.otherwise we can become "mad" about food. I really don't see what was wrong with your meal.High sodium so what? If you are not eating high sodium everyday then there's no reason to be worry.
    The important is that you do go back on track tomorrow, that's all!!

BTW 80% of our food intake should be healthy and 20% should be treats!!!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I would eat that meal any night of the week and not feel guilty about it especially if it fit within my caloric intake....a little extra sodium in a meal is not the end all be all. Drink some extra water if you feel the need to and you will be fine.... Best of Luck
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I had fried chicken 2 nights in a row..KFC hotwings...now that's a "cheat" day....:blushing:
  • In my opinion, and please take it with a grain of salt (this is my opinion, and you don't have to agree, I'm not here to correct you or undermine what you have been doing), planning a cheat meal sets you up for a failure right from the start - you feel guilty and disappointed. With that, you're likely to eat more because "you already screwed up." Don't plan cheat meals. Just go with it. Enjoy your healthy lifestyle and your treats here and there. Focusing so much on one day, and ultimately obsessing over it, isn't healthy for you.
  • tweetsmom
    tweetsmom Posts: 31 Member
    I understand how you feel, but you can still do something about it. I made a french chocolate cake today with my 10-year-old daughter because she wanted to have a "french" meal. I ate a piece THEN figured out the numbers and THEN made myself exercise. By the end of my workout, I was back down under the daily allottment for the day. You're still in control. If you want to eat a little something special, work some exercise in your schedule to balance it out. Dieting should not be about giving things up, it's about moderation, and besides, I didn't really see anything wrong with your meal!
  • EmpoweredMimi
    Yes that's my issue! Makes sense to me now!
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    We are big on cooking around here and we are huge food fans. At least half of our dinners every week are about the same calories as your dinner. The other half are light. Some days I take the calorie hit and go over, and sometimes I balance it out by eating light for lunch and breakfast either before or after.

I'd probably rather stay chubby than not be able to eat awesome food. I absolutely have to accommodate for it in my plan if I'm going to have any success.

You can do the same!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

i dont understand? thats a normal meal for me and i am losing fat just fine... in what way is that bad?