Starvation Mode - Adaptive Thermogenesis and Weight Loss

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Awesome read...I must admit, I zonked out for a second when things got really confusing, but got right back into it. I think your reply to that post really summed it up for me as i'm on a1,000 c/day diet. I can feel my body needing less calories after a week. But, that means I need to work harder to keep it off. Thanks!

:noway:
  • Shara126
    Shara126 Posts: 144 Member
    bump to read later
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    bump.

8488541.png
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Tagging to nerd out later.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Bump to read after coffee...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Excellent information, even in the TL sections. I'll have to come back and read in detail later.
  • Monkeyca_Rodriguez
    Monkeyca_Rodriguez Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks a lot for this! :flowerforyou:
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Finally! A post that has good credited information on it! How dare you:smokin: !Thank you for the good info!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Bump to follow
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    ping to read
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    bump
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    ETA: By the way the study reports adaptation at "Maintenance of a 10% or greater reduction in body weight in lean or obese individuals is accompanied by an approximate 20%-25% decline in 24-hour energy expenditure" And we are only using a 15% decline...
    Maybe I am confused by all the info you provided, but I thought that 10% to 15% was distilled out as actual impact on metabolic rate (actual versus expected).

BTW, there is still my other question:
    In any of these studies you looked at, was there ever a point at which lowering consumption did not increase the deficit?
    I don't believe such a point exists.

There is also the matter of likelihood - I don't think most people should expect the worst case scenario.

ETA - BTW, I am one of those annoying people who did the drastic cut, lost nearly 2 pounds a week consistently for about 4 months, upped to lose slower a little while and then adjusted to maintenance after a 55 pound loss. I think I need some toning, but I do not "look like poo". I don't seem to have altered my metabolic rate significantly; calculators are pretty close on what I need to maintain.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Thank you for posting this.

Bumping for it to show on my feed.
  • pinkpanthers1995
    pinkpanthers1995 Posts: 41 Member
    Thanks for putting the work into this. It is very informative and gives a lot to think about.
  • elleryjones
    elleryjones Posts: 88 Member
    I'm on my 2nd cup of coffee and it still requires a re-read. So far I'm getting that it's not as easy as one would think to shrink oneself. ;)
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Awesome read...I must admit, I zonked out for a second when things got really confusing, but got right back into it. I think your reply to that post really summed it up for me as i'm on a1,000 c/day diet. I can feel my body needing less calories after a week. But, that means I need to work harder to keep it off. Thanks!

:noway:

WAT!? :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    My head hurts...
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Thank you!
    (Also posting to make it easier to read more carefully again later.)
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Note to self: Topics that have research and stuff and things need to be held off until afternoon reading.

TL;DR Too early in the morning
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    :noway: Did you understand the point of the post?