SUCCESS STORIES:LOW CARB ATKINS OR SOUTH BEACH!

Replies

• carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    I consume about 100 carbs a day currently. I don't like to go to low carb, although i have. I run 5 days a week and have read countless studys of marathon runners being on low carb high protein diets. You have to do what works well for you. I get amazing results w 100 carbs a day and 1600 cals. Much better results then i did w 1600 cals and 250 carbs a day.
  • bump for later
  • 22dream
    22dream Posts: 60 Member
    Who said I didn't read the message boards??? And who said its a fad diet I can say the same thing about eating 1200 calories every day to lose weight, if you feel its a fad diet that your opinion but your comment was irrelevant seeing how it didn't help with anything :)
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    I started South Beach 1.5 years ago and lost 20 pounds in six months. I was able to maintain the loss for a year; at that point, I decided to lose some more. I found the South Beach diet to be very easy to follow and I liked not counting anything. I was not hungry and I felt no ill effects. In the past with WW, I found myself becoming obsessed with tracking points (always to gain back what I had lost). I started South Beach again when I started on MFP two months ago, but I felt awful. I was extremely fatigued for a week or two. I finally had to stop and increase my carbs. My exercise level for both times was about the same; some, but fairly minimal. Using MFP is so easy; I don’t have to count anything. This is good because I don’t want to go back to feeling fanatical about counting! On MFP, I have lost a good 10 pounds in the past two months by eating healthy foods and keeping an eye only on the total calories for the day. Good luck to everyone, low carb or not.

Editing to add: For the year that I maintained, I was not eating low carb.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    To me, I equate the average overweight person (non-diabetic/PCOS, etc) using Atkins to lose weight instead of eating at a caloric deficit to buying penny stocks and hoping they explode to become wealthy...instead of spending less than you make and investing in a broad growth portfolio.

Sure, you may have some great short term gains or really have incredible success, but for the vast majority of people interested in long term success (weight or financial) it is not an ideal long-term strategy.

Geez, you should tell that to the thousands, yes thousands, of people that are on the low carb forum I am on. They might disagree, what with losing weight and having perfect lipid panels AND if they know how to cook low carb, they have a great assortment of food to enjoy.
  • bjstru
    bjstru Posts: 15 Member
    This was the moderators topic:

IF YOU HAVE HAD SUCCESS WITH LOW CARB , ATKINS, OR SOUTH BEACH PLEASE SHARE YOUR STORY OR AND PICTURES NEVER REALIZED HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE ON MFP LOOKING FOR THAT PUSH THATS NOT JUST ABOUT CALORIES!!!!! PLEASE SHARE AND HELP GIVE SOMEONE THAT PUSH!!

When I read this, I was initially thrilled because what I thought I was going to see was various people telling their low carb lifestyles with results. For 6 pages, I have consistently read various persons input on why low carb does not work, bleeding the word "calorie" until it was dry, and various citation of studies to prove why they are right. It fine that you have all this proof of why low carb is "fad" but that is not what the moderator asked for therefore I must be inclined to believe either (1) you were unable to read and understand the moderators question, (2) your a health bully; you found a way that worked for you and know everything else must be wrong, (3) you just don't care that you never answered her question, or (4) you are too afraid to start your own post/thread stating why low carb in not a real, true, healthy.... whatever! and you must impose onto others threads and over exert your (unsolicited ) opinion on a thread which was seeking success stories while on low carb. You would be highly insulted in an everyday scenario if a various person walked into your group conversation and said... "Well, I think A,B,C,D". Being honest with yourself , your first response would be "who asked you".

I am sorry my rant is sooo long. I really did click upon this thread hoping to see success stories and pictures of those who embraced a low carb lifestyle.
  • teridene
    teridene Posts: 71 Member
    Here is a study by Duke University, just put out, that proves low carb is a superior, sustainable diet over a low glycemic or low fat/high carb diet. Take a look. Also Harvard just completed a similar study without using diabetics and they found the SAME results. That low carb/high fat/moderate protein was superior over low glycemic, and way better than low fat/carb diet.

http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/news/low_carb_diets_prove_better_at_controlling_type_2_diabetes

And I would like to add that as a diabetic the low carb diet brought my blood sugar to normal ranges without gaining any weight. I follow the "diabetes solution" by Dr. R. K. Bernstein.

I would also like to add that I came to this forum because I wanted to find some low carb recipes. I was saddened at all the fighting. It would be wise to consider the many, many diets out in the world and for every one type of diet you can find a diet completely in opposition that still works for a portion of the population. That being considered I believe that so many diets work because there are so many body types and each has its own needs. One diet works for one, not the other and so forth. You just have to find what works for you.

AND why would a person who is NOT doing low carb going on a low carb forum to argue? This type of person should be on a forum that matches his type of diet. Don't go around looking for a fight. And ladies, don't argue with this guy or anyone who wants to argue. Its foolish.
  • 22dream
    22dream Posts: 60 Member

IF YOU HAVE HAD SUCCESS WITH LOW CARB , ATKINS, OR SOUTH BEACH PLEASE SHARE YOUR STORY OR AND PICTURES NEVER REALIZED HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE ON MFP LOOKING FOR THAT PUSH THATS NOT JUST ABOUT CALORIES!!!!! PLEASE SHARE AND HELP GIVE SOMEONE THAT PUSH!!

When I read this, I was initially thrilled because what I thought I was going to see was various people telling their low carb lifestyles with results. For 6 pages, I have consistently read various persons input on why low carb does not work, bleeding the word "calorie" until it was dry, and various citation of studies to prove why they are right. It fine that you have all this proof of why low carb is "fad" but that is not what the moderator asked for therefore I must be inclined to believe either (1) you were unable to read and understand the moderators question, (2) your a health bully; you found a way that worked for you and know everything else must be wrong, (3) you just don't care that you never answered her question, or (4) you are too afraid to start your own post/thread stating why low carb in not a real, true, healthy.... whatever! and you must impose onto others threads and over exert your (unsolicited ) opinion on a thread which was seeking success stories while on low carb. You would be highly insulted in an everyday scenario if a various person walked into your group conversation and said... "Well, I think A,B,C,D". Being honest with yourself , your first response would be "who asked you".

I am sorry my rant is sooo long. I really did click upon this thread hoping to see success stories and pictures of those who embraced a low carb lifestyle.

exactly smh
  • ukchic25
    ukchic25 Posts: 9 Member

I totally agree...and clearly there are a few of us that actually would like to hear success stories, and positive reviews of low carb. In fact, a low carb lifestyle is exactly what is recommended for apple shaped people. I find that there are a LOT of pro-calorie counting bullies on these forums. Any other way of dietary lifestyle change is wrong.
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Here is a study by Duke University, just put out, that proves low carb is a superior, sustainable diet over a low glycemic or low fat/high carb diet. Take a look. Also Harvard just completed a similar study without using diabetics and they found the SAME results. That low carb/high fat/moderate protein was superior over low glycemic, and way better than low fat/carb diet.

http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/news/low_carb_diets_prove_better_at_controlling_type_2_diabetes

As a vegan, I eat a low fat, high carbohydrate diet and I've lost 106 pounds in 6 months. This isn't even considering the non-scale ways that my health has improved. I think I will keep doing what I am doing.
  • I agree!
  • pinkncrazee
    pinkncrazee Posts: 47 Member

Well said and THANK YOU!! :-D
  • phw426
    phw426 Posts: 92 Member
    It all boils down to calories, what goes in vs what goes out.....Of course healthy calories are best. I tried atkins years ago faithfully and I was nothing but grouchy....to each there own and what life style works for you.....me personally I need to be able to live the rest of my life eating a healthy yet happy diet.
  • kwilson18
    kwilson18 Posts: 42 Member
    Wow, what an interesting thread. I think this highlights my own perception after years of reading the literature, reading message boards, and trying to lose weight myself, that different people respond to different "diets"...differently, and consequently that no diet is necessarily superior, or inferior, for weight loss (you can make nutritional arguments about something like the grapefruit diet, but I'll leave that for another day). Most dietary intervention trials have results that are significantly variable: there are people in the study that lose a lot, and people that lose very little or even gain. This will make the average weight loss appear to be modest, or non-existent. However the studies don't usually (mostly because of power/sample size issues) look at the characteristics of the people for whom a particular diet was very effective. This could be genetics, or activity level, or subclinical metabolic issues, or some other factor. I have also found that you can find studies that support almost every dietary strategy out there (too much protein causes cancer! Carbs cause diabetes and heart disease! Transfats are the best thing since sliced bread- no wait, they are toxic!, Vitamin E will save everyone- no wait- if you are a smoker it will kill you!). You can always find people for whom a particular diet has worked, but I have never found a diet that has worked for everyone.

A 200 calories donut may fit into the daily macros, but for someone who will then eat 4 more because it triggers a binge, it may not be the best choice. If you can't stand the sight of broccoli and it gives you gas, and makes you want to binge on a donut, it may not be the choice for you. Everyone needs to figure out what works for them to lose or maintain, what makes them feel healthy and satisfied, and able to participate in whatever daily activities (exercise, socializing, etc) mean the most to them.

Though I do like Michael Pollan's plan:
    Eat food
    Not too much
    Mostly plants
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    OK, I am diabetic, and low carb is what I should have been doing since I found out I was one, but I didn't. I had my physical 8 weeks ago, and I had my blood work done... and it was BAD, I mean really bad.... So today I got new "numbers" after being super strict for the last 8 weeks...... I hope you like this, and I hope someone gets inspired by it. This is a cut and paste from the forum I originally posted this on:

OK, so today marks exactly 2 months of low carbing and 2 months since my last set of blood work.... EVERYTHING was better except my overall cholesterol, which actually went up a tiny bit - which as I understand it, is normal when starting low carb..... And this was only 2 months, and not the standard 3 months for an A1C test....

Let's just say that I am THRILLLLLLLLLEEDDDD!

In just 60 days:

Lost 7 pounds..... was hoping for more, but 7 is OK

A1c went from 10.2 to 7.4

Triglycerides went from 390 to 210

Blood Sugar went from 290 to get this....... 128.

Blood Pressure went from 130 / 90 to 124 /74...... and I actually had not taken my BP medicine yet today.

So, if you are new, and not sure about this whole low carb "thing", and need a push, hopefully I just gave you a big SHOVE!!!

I love you all, who have put up with my whining so much early on about not losing weight..... It has not been an easy 2 months, but looking at those numbers, it has been an INCREDIBLE 2 months.

And, to top it all off, my doctor said that if I keep at this, she could see me being off all my meds by early next year.

Thanks to everybody who has helped me along the way.

Now I may go have some cheese!

I eat 30 or less carbs per day, with the goal of about 50 carbs per day when I hit my weight goal. I eat zero sugar, pasta, wheat, rice.....

Sorry for cut and paste, but I wasn't about to type it all out again.

Congratulations
  • Congrats on your success! My husband has also had great results with "carb limitations" but he walks his butt off 5 days a week and has dropped 40Lbs in 4 months, and his blood sugar is no longer a concern. I however am not as physically motivated as he but I am losing slowly, the best way to keep it off. I have decided that after two previous attempts at Atkins several years ago to not look at this as a "diet" but a way of eating. I read a book call The Art and Science of Low Carb Living and understanding what carbs can do to the body helped me have a new perspective about food. I have cut out all processed food and fill up on lots of low glycemic veggies, coconut and almond milk instead of whole milk and try to incorporate good fats in every meal. Fat makes me feel full and I have been eating less.

FAT IS YOUR FRIEND!!!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    my mother-in-law has to do low carb, because she has diabetes, but because she has no calorie deficit she hasn't lost any weight in the last 12 months since she started it. I am only saying this because there is some perception that this would make you lose weight automatically. Alternatively if I as a vegetarian eat 25-30 bananas I will also not lose weight (as that would be over my cal allowance). Everybody has to find what works for them.
  • BeckyGraceH
    BeckyGraceH Posts: 6 Member
    Awesome job!
  • This was the moderators topic:

I have to friend you Lady!!!
  • It's called google dude!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!