How do you fit your exercise around work?

Replies

• Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    I'm lucky that my boss is extremely supportive. The majority of the week I'm at bootcamp Mon/Wed/Fri from 8am-10am. Tues/Thurs I go to the gym during my lunch 1-2:30pm. If something comes up at work that I can't work around I just get up earlier in the day to get to the gym or I'll go at someother time during the day which ever works best.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    I get up at 4am. I have to. There is no snooze option. With 4 kids & a full time job, there is NO other time I can do it. I finally realized, if I want results, I HAVE to sacrifice...not just do what was convenient
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    There's nothing "easy" about exercise. If it's easy, you're not doing it right.

If you're trying to find time to exercise, you never will. Time is illusive and trying to find time is a passive en-devour; you have to be proactive and make time. For me, this means 4 AM on some days...on other days it means using my lunch break to go for my run while my buddies go out to lunch...it means going to the gym on Tues and Thurs evenings after work and getting home late whether I feel like it or not...it means getting up with the sun on Saturday morning and hitting the gym while my family sleeps in...I like to be home before they wake up to cook breakfast.

Nothing about any of this is easy...if you're looking for easy and progress...well, you'll be looking for a long time.
  • mfclingan
    mfclingan Posts: 158 Member
    Early morning....I find that I can be out...get in my run or bike ride and be home in time to make breakfast for myself and my husband and do a few things around the house and get to work. I find that I'm super charged with energy after my morning exercise so I'm sooo much more productive with my time after a run or ride. (and lets face it...if I wasn't getting up to exercise I'd be laying in bed reading or wasting time playing mindless games on my phone)

As for evening workouts. I take my gym bag to work with me. I change before I leave the building. I go DIRECTLY to wherever I'm working out. I do not stop at the house. I know that if I planned to change at home I would get home and I would see the 'dirty dishes' or laundry baskets overflowing and I would stay home....any excuse really to stay there would work. This is crazy because on the three nights I do zumba after work, I literally drive RIGHT BY MY HOUSE....and I get to the parking lot where my zumba class is held about 15 minutes early. I sit in my car for 15 minutes...that's my me time (I read, or answer emails or whatever). Yes, those 15 minutes could have been spent at home....but I can't do it....I would never make it to zumba.

And just like my morning workout...I get home from zumba energized and I whip through the house getting things done! Exercise really does create an energy that gives you more time to complete everything. It's odd, but very true!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    I struggled with the whole finding time subject for a few months before I found a routine that worked for me. Having to go to the gym was always off putting as it was a 20min drive and always seemed like a chore.

Then I decided to take up running so my exercise begins pretty much as soon as I step out the door. I don't get up any earlier (I get up at 6am) but instead of faffing around doing the odd bit of housework or watching breakfast TV with a cup of tea, I put my running gear on (all left handy the night before!) and head out with the dog. By 7am, I've had my run, the dog's had her exercise so all I need to do is have a shower, dress and out the door by 7.30 right on schedule.

For strength I just do some bodyweight exercises - usually in the evening - so again, I don't have to make special arrangements to fit them in. I usually do my push ups etc during ad breaks lol

Once you work out what's the best fit for your routine and lifestyle, you'll be fine. It's just finding the best fit :)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    I schedule it in my Smartphone just like a doctor's appointment.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    I work a high pressure desk job 8:30 to 5:30 getting home usually around 6. I work out 6 days a week and right when I get home otherwise I wouldn’t do it. I CANNOT get up early. I struggle to get out of bed at 7, let alone getting up at 5 or 5:30 for a work out. It’s never going to happen.

On cardio days I drink a coffee around 3 to keep up my energy after a long day and on lifting days I drink my pre-workout on my way home so by time I get there I’ve got that boost of energy to get the job done.

You can do it; it just needs to be a priority. Maybe start by scheduling 2-3 workouts a week and build them up from there. That’s what helped me.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    When I was working 50+ hours a week, most of my exercise came in the form of riding my bike to and from work every day. I live about 10 miles away, but with traffic, it only took me about 10 extra minutes going to work and about 20 coming home (uphill on the way home).

Also, the alarm was set for 4:00am. Not fun, but getting home totally starved after my work day required me to prep all my food before I left in the morning. Otherwise, I'd just call for pizza delivery.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Up around 4:30, try to be working out by 5. I work out at home. My husband is up at 4, out the door at 4:40 to be at the gym when it opens at 5. We both work a full time at regular old desk jobs.
  • flynnem4
    flynnem4 Posts: 22 Member
    This doesn't work for some people, but I do yardwork as the bulk of my exercise. Shoveling, moving and spreading 10-12 wheelbarrows of gravel, or mowing or weed-whacking an acre, or moving heavy rocks and pickaxeing out a firepit, building up raised beds for a garden, etc. are all fantastic workouts, and my yard looks better every day (and so do I!). I do this all after work, sometimes after dinner depending on if there will be enough daylight. I find I can justify it more easily to myself than taking a full hour to do plain cardio or weightlifting in a gym setting because I'm taking care of my home, and working up a hell of a sweat at the same time.

When weather is inclement, I do cardio workouts at home (love Sweatin' to the Oldies!) when I'd be doing yardwork, but otherwise I'm outside with gloves on doing something almost every day.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    I always do my exercise right after work. I'm still in work mode, I found a place between work and my house that I can go to which helps interrupt my commute. I pack my gym clothes and a healthy snack EVERY DAY to eat before I go. I change just before I leave work.

Going straight home when I don't have sessions, change into my workout gear and get it done before I do anything else. Now I don't feel right until I get it done. I have supper once I complete my work out, no matter what time. I sleep like a baby.

It's whatever works for you my friend. But set a DAILY goal and just do it. There's no easy answer unfortunately.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    This was always a HUGE issue for me. I'm a morning person after about 7am and unless I have to work out, hahaha. I knew I was not going to get up to go exercise. So, since I have a really cool job and flexible boss, I changed my work hours from 7am-3:30pm. I get home by 4:15, change, and start my workout between 4:30 and 5. After that I either come home and shower to go out with friends, or since I'm a mostly daily shopper I head to the store to get some dinner and cook. I'm usually in bed relaxing by 8 or 9pm (unless I go out), and I wake up at 6 to leave for work by 6:30. it's an amazing schedule! I used to live a lot farther away from my job so it would be a little harder to do it that way with a long commute but still doable. Make the schedule work for you!

Also: one of my friends works in a company where everyone has an 8-5 schedule. He talked to his higher ups to negotiate taking a 30 minute lunch instead of the hour so he could leave at 4:30 or get to work at 8:30. They were totally fine with it and he says the extra half hour either way really helps out when it comes to making time for exercising. Might be something to consider.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    I'm looking to lose 30lbs before christmas and to do this I have completely cut out all bad snacking, fried goods and carbs in the evenings. I also want to start doing more exercise but I'm finding it really hard to motivate myself before and after work. Does anyone have any tips or easy exercises that they can suggest?
    I've seen some studies that carbs in the evening actually might be better processed than carbs in the morning, so you might want to look into that.

On the exercise side, you've just got to figure out what you like to do. Try walking after dinner. Try running. Try bringing your clothes to work and heading to the gym straight after. Or try getting up in the mornings. One of these things will work for you!
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    I've said that I can't find an extra hour to workout countless times. The truth is that I was just making an excuse not to do it, because I didn't really want to. It's not easy, and it certainly cuts into something else. If you want it, you just have to do it.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    I signed up for a boot camp class that meets 4x a week at 5:45 AM. I just get up and go. At least 4 x a week, I've already worked out before work. I also get up on two of my "off" days and run. I run after boot camp on a third day. I attend Zumba 3 x a week because I love it (and it's not a struggle to get there because it's fun).

You just have to do it. Make sure your workout stuff is ready to go in the AM and you can be ready to workout before you are really awake.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    You just do it. No excuses.

I work midnights and have a 5 1/2 month old and I do some type of activity 6-7 days a week, even if it is just walking. There is nothing difficult or expensive about going for a half hour walk.

Either you want it or you don't.
  • dalesd
    dalesd Posts: 10 Member
    If it was easy, everyone would do it.

I go for a ~1 hour bike ride a few days a week after work, and a long ride on weekends. Everyone has the same 24 hours in a day.
    I have completely cut out all bad snacking, fried goods and carbs in the evenings.
    I cut out all carbs from my diet. I aim for <30 net carbs/day, and those come mainly from vegetables. Check my diary.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Tips from someone who has a full time job and finds time to hit the gym daily.

( i also have no kids so i understand that gives me a bit more flexibility )

I work out everyday after work. My gym is across the road so i pack my gym clothes and work out for an hour, head home and beat the traffic from rush hour.

I meal prep all my food to take to work

I drink water non stop while at my desk

I snack only on what I have brought in and when I need it.

If you want to change your life for the better you will find the time. The hour you have to give to your body will repay you years from now. I know we are all busy but trust me you can find an hour.
  • chai_masala
    chai_masala Posts: 51 Member
    I work full time too, 45 minute commute. I was doing 20 minutes of strength training every morning, until I finally tried jogging outside at 5:30am. AND I LOVED it. Now I have two viable options for morning workouts. Options were important for me. What if it rains? More options mean fewer excuses.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Easy exercise? why even bother?

I often need to fit work around my exercise lol, hate missing a session