Guys I need an answer ASAP!! :( :(

Okay.. I'm having serious HRM and runkeeper issues. My HRM says I burned 779cal going just one way (6.5mi bike ride), and runkeeper says I burned that exact same amount... only for BOTH ways (13mi bike ride)! My heart rate was at a consistent 175-185bpm, which I always double check by holding my own pulse. I don't know which to trust, and this affects how I eat for the whole day... and I really want lunch. :(

So help?! Please?!

Arggghhhh.

Replies

• TeamDale
    TeamDale Posts: 383 Member
    Trust your HRM. It is accurate if you have your stats entered into it correctly. I had trouble with Runkeeper, so now I use Endmondo and love it.
  • ellebrosseau
    ellebrosseau Posts: 103 Member
    Trust your HRM. It is accurate if you have your stats entered into it correctly. I had trouble with Runkeeper, so now I use Endmondo and love it.

Okay.. cool! Thanks so much! If there's anyone that knows, it's most definitely you! :)

P.S. You've got me downloading Endmondo!
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    HRM is the more accurate of the two as its reading what your body is actually burning, not just estimating.
  • steve8a
    steve8a Posts: 4
    Was half the ride down hill? LOL
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    just go with the HRM. No need to even bother with any other apps to record it if you're using an HRM. I use Runkeeper to track my runs, but that's just for timing/distance... nothing at all for calories burned.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Okay.. I'm having serious HRM and runkeeper issues. My HRM says I burned 779cal going just one way (6.5mi bike ride), and runkeeper says I burned that exact same amount... only for BOTH ways (13mi bike ride)! My heart rate was at a consistent 175-185bpm, which I always double check by holding my own pulse. I don't know which to trust, and this affects how I eat for the whole day... and I really want lunch. :(

So help?! Please?!

Arggghhhh.

The first question is how far did you actually ride? 6.5 or 13 miles?
    The second question is how long did it take you?

600 would be ballpark for me for a 13 mile ride (approx 50 minutes). a 6.5 mile ride would have me somewhere in the 300 cal range (approx 25 mins). And I also use a HRM.

ETA - I track my mileage for biking and running with Cardiotrainer. But I use my HRM for my cal burned data (which is usually within 100 cals of what the app estimates). :)
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    100 calories a mile on a bicycle... maybe if you're a track cyclist doing 30+ mph.
  • xeno8604
    xeno8604 Posts: 193 Member
    I would trust the HRM more, I use a Polar FT7 and have heard that it is very accurate or more than many others.
  • Absolutely go with the HRM - assuming it's calibrated for you correctly, and the activity is set correctly, you should be good.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member

So help?! Please?!

Arggghhhh.

The first question is how far did you actually ride? 6.5 or 13 miles?
    The second question is how long did it take you?

600 would be ballpark for me for a 13 mile ride (approx 50 minutes). a 6.5 mile ride would have me somewhere in the 300 cal range (approx 25 mins). And I also use a HRM.

ETA - I track my mileage for biking and running with Cardiotrainer. But I use my HRM for my cal burned data (which is usually within 100 cals of what the app estimates). :)

Just thinking to my rides when I do a 20, I'll stay around 600 calories to complete that in 60-70 minutes according to my HRM. So doing that in 6 miles is really good.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Endomondo and Polar H7 HRM fanatic here too.
  • I always trust my heart rate monitor. Lol.
  • TeamDale
    TeamDale Posts: 383 Member
    Plar FT7 is my HRM. I never leave home without it when walking, running or biking.
  • ellebrosseau
    ellebrosseau Posts: 103 Member
    If it helps your understanding, I'm pretty much the worst bicyclist on earth. It took me two hours to do 13 miles (in my defense, it was all uphill!), and my heart rate was at 170-180bpm for nearly the entire time.

My brother was with me and complained he could have done it in 50min. Ouch.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    wait, so you guys are telling her that she should eat back 1500 calories after riding a bike for less than 14 miles? is this what the "trust your HRM" crowd is selling these days?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    It was an out and back (you stated that one way was 6.5 miles) and then you said that it was all uphill. But I'm guessing that there were equal parts downhill to the amount of uphill since you got back to where you started. So you probably had a fair amount of non-heavy exertion riding mixed in with the strain of getting up the hills.

Looking at your pic you look pretty small, so you probably don't have a huge workout calorie burn in general (compared to heavier people working out). So I would say to either go with the lower of the two.

I use both Runkeeper and a Polar HRM and they've almost always matched within 10-20 calories of each other, so it's also possible that you have your setting wrong in one of them.
  • pollypocket3
    pollypocket3 Posts: 51 Member

I use Endomondo too and it's been fairly close to what my HRM says (Endomondo says a little more but it's so convenient with the auto post to MFP that I just go off that and try and eat a little extra to make sure I am actually eating what I need to be). Also, are you readjusting your HRM to your current weight? If you've lost a good amount from when it was originally set you might need to have all of that readjusted for proper calorie burn.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    wait, so you guys are telling her that she should eat back 1500 calories after riding a bike for less than 14 miles? is this what the "trust your HRM" crowd is selling these days?
    LMAO I was thinking the same thing...and I love my HRM..that seems like big burn unless it was uphill ..is your hrm set correctly.
  • jgsinfw
    jgsinfw Posts: 124 Member
    I have found big differences between the Polar HRM and various apps - Endomondo usually measures muuuuch higher than the others (MapMyRun and AllSport GPS), so I don't trust it much. MapMyRun gets closer to the HRM than the others.
  • I usually burn around 850/hour at 19.5 mph and ~165bpm average HR.