How many pounds does it take you to lose an inch?

Hi, I was wondering what your individual correlations between measurements and weight are.

For people who work out, measurements and weight don't correlate strongly, I know, because of changing degrees of muscle tone/mass. But I don't work out and have noticed that, for example, whenever I weigh 135, my hips are exactly 38 1/4 inches. When I weigh 130, they are 37 3/4. When I'm 140, they're 39. So it looks like in my median weight range, ten pounds corresponds to 1.25 inches of hips.

I don't bother measuring my waist during dieting because its size varies dramatically (by up to 2 inches) depending on whether I ate or drank anything, the time of day, or whether I need to go to the bathroom. But my hips don't lie, lol. I can always tell how much I weigh, with a 2 lb margin of error, just by measuring my hips, and vice versa.

Please share your own experiences with this.

Replies

• joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    why do you hate hips so much? As a man... please be nice to them :)
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    why do you hate hips so much? As a man... please be nice to them :)
    LOL, I never said I hated my hips, all I said was that I can tell how much I weigh by measuring them. That they correlate strongly with my weight.

I'm cool with my hips. I wish they were less square but I'm glad at least my waist-hip ratio is low.

This is what my stupid square hips look like:

24ec1mh.jpg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    That's not how it works. Often people will gain weight from muscle and lose inches. It really depends a lot on what your body fat percentage is like.

And I have big hips too, so I hear you.
  • TitaniaEcks
    That's not how it works. Often people will gain weight from muscle and lose inches. It really depends a lot on what your body fat percentage is like.

And I have big hips too, so I hear you.
    I know, that's why I made the exception for people who work out. And hey, watch it, my hips are proportionate to my height ;-)
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Curvy hips and round butts are sexy IMO. I pray and I know I have no control over it, but I hope my *kitten* and hips stay.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I'm not sure how to share an experience seeing as myself and a majority of people on MFP are working out.

You are asking for measurement differences based on someone not working out...right?
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    There is no way to really know. Aesthetically, I've heard your human eye generally only notices 5 lb increments in the mirror.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
  • TitaniaEcks
    I'm not sure how to share an experience seeing as myself and a majority of people on MFP are working out.

You are asking for measurement differences based on someone not working out...right?

More generally for people not lifting. Moderate cardio really just burns calories, doesn't increase muscle mass, so it wouldn't affect measurements any differently than any other calorie deficit would.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

More generally for people not lifting. Moderate cardio really just burns calories, doesn't increase muscle mass, so it wouldn't affect measurements any differently than any other calorie deficit would.

So only those doing light/moderate cardio?

But wouldn't genetics and loss of lbm also play a factor in this? And are you looking for people that have fluctuated the same amount like you?

Just seems really hard to figure out comparisons and such.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    I like your drawing. :flowerforyou: