Guys I need an answer ASAP!! :( :(

Replies

• spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Even 779 calories for a 6.5 mile bike ride sounds incredibly high to me.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Even 779 calories for a 6.5 mile bike ride sounds incredibly high to me.

right, I'd have to do about 16+ miles for that
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    wait, so you guys are telling her that she should eat back 1500 calories after riding a bike for less than 14 miles? is this what the "trust your HRM" crowd is selling these days?
    LMAO I was thinking the same thing...and I love my HRM..that seems like big burn unless it was uphill ..is your hrm set correctly.

I also keep thinking this - honestly, your HRM seems like it could be off if it's telling you that you burned 1500 calories in less than 2 hours. It of course depends on your size and fitness level, but honestly, I would calculate a MAX of 600 calories an hour (or 100 calories/10 minutes of strenuous exercise).
  • ellebrosseau
    ellebrosseau Posts: 103 Member
    I'm just going to stick to my 1200 cals today. My HRM is never that far off from runkeeper, and I don't want to go over accidentally having no idea what I burned.

And it wasn't a down and back haha. I live on an island and went all the way around. All uphill, all the way. :D

(The :D is complete sarcasm. I freaking hate riding a bike, and uphill is just that much worse.)
  • I'm just going to stick to my 1200 cals today. My HRM is never that far off from runkeeper, and I don't want to go over accidentally having no idea what I burned.

And it wasn't a down and back haha. I live on an island and went all the way around. All uphill, all the way. :D

(The :D is complete sarcasm. I freaking hate riding a bike, and uphill is just that much worse.)

Next time, go the other way and go downhill the whole way! :)
  • ellebrosseau
    I'm just going to stick to my 1200 cals today. My HRM is never that far off from runkeeper, and I don't want to go over accidentally having no idea what I burned.

Next time, go the other way and go downhill the whole way! :)

hahaha this is such a logical plan. literally I just have to go right out of my driveway instead of left............
    same thirteen miles with a little less kill-me-now :glasses:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    wait, so you guys are telling her that she should eat back 1500 calories after riding a bike for less than 14 miles? is this what the "trust your HRM" crowd is selling these days?

Come on Dave, we all know HRMs are infallible.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories?page=1
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Endomondo and my polar ft4 are usually within ten calories of each other.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Wait, I'm still confused how it can be uphill the entire way without you living on MC Escher island?

Say your house is at 100ft above sea level, and maybe you climb to 1000ft above sea level during the ride, in order to get back to your house, you have to ride downhill enough to get back to 100ft above sea level.

You can't start at point A, go uphill, and return to point A without ever going back downhill.

Not trolling, seriously confused about the statement made.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Wait, I'm still confused how it can be uphill the entire way without you living on MC Escher island?

Say your house is at 100ft above sea level, and maybe you climb to 1000ft above sea level during the ride, in order to get back to your house, you have to ride downhill enough to get back to 100ft above sea level.

You can't start at point A, go uphill, and return to point A without ever going back downhill.

You can with a TARDIS.

tumblr_mpdje9CBxr1rj3ulbo1_500.gif
  • wolfchild59

You can with a TARDIS.

tumblr_mpdje9CBxr1rj3ulbo1_500.gif

I accept this answer. It was clearly a wibbly-wobbly bike ride.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    779 is way too high for a 6 mi bike ride. It will be less than half of that.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member

Wait, wut? While 1500 calories is high, 0 calories is way way low. Just eat half, 750. Or, if you are still nervous, eat 500 of them (that's a burn of 250 an hour, which to me seems low for an uphill ride).
  • ellebrosseau

It's obviously not ALL uphill but I live at the lowest point, and the downhill stretch is steep & nowhere near as long as the uphill ride.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member

Wait, wut? While 1500 calories is high, 0 calories is way way low. Just eat half, 750. Or, if you are still nervous, eat 500 of them (that's a burn of 250 an hour, which to me seems low for an uphill ride).

^ This.
  • wolfchild59
    Ooh, wait! You said that you used RunKeeper for the ride. Post a link to the workout and it might help people guesstimate your calories. It will show the details of the path you took, along with average speed and stuff like that. That info would be really helpful in trying to help you figure out what you burned!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Ooh, wait! You said that you used RunKeeper for the ride. Post a link to the workout and it might help people guesstimate your calories. It will show the details of the path you took, along with average speed and stuff like that. That info would be really helpful in trying to help you figure out what you burned!

Bwahahahaha

tumblr_lzjr6vrkAF1qfzv7ao1_500.gif
  • wolfchild59

Bwahahahaha

tumblr_lzjr6vrkAF1qfzv7ao1_500.gif

shh.gif
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    There is no way on God's green earth that a casual cyclist burns 779 calories during a 6.5 mile ride.

Without knowing your weight and speed I can only guess that about 50 calories/mile would be in the ballpark and even that is probably high for most.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    There is no way on God's green earth that a casual cyclist burns 779 calories during a 6.5 mile ride.

BUT HER HRM SAID SO