Distance Running. HELP!

Hey guys, I've been trying to trawl through the forum pages so far, and haven't really found an answer to my question.

Basically I am in training to do a half marathon in september, and whilst it is a walking half marathon I am hoping to do a full marathon next year and not walking it.

So my question is this, while I've been training when I've tried to up my tempo for a while, I can't help but break out into a run. I don't know how I go from speed walking to RUNNING but I can't seem to find a way to do a decent speed for long distance running/jogging.

Does anyone have any ideas or tips on how I can learn to run at a distance running sort of speed, I know I cant keep up this running full speed thing if I have any hope of doing a marathon next year!

Many thanks for all suggestions! :)

Replies

• runninghealthy
    runninghealthy Posts: 21 Member
    Given your goals, I would suggest using a run/walk training plan. Here are a few good ones that are free online:

http://running.about.com/od/marathonprograms/a/Run-Walk-Marathon-Training-Schedule.htm
    http://img2.timeinc.net/health/static/pdf/runwalk.pdf
    http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2012/11/training-tips/run-walk-half-marathon-training-plans_7838/3

You could play around with some of these as you work up to your half (which would allow you those few running breaks in your walks), and then start using one to build up to your full next year. Even if you want to run the whole thing, getting into training with a balance of running and walking, considering you're starting from a walking half, will start building up your endurance and strength without injuring you.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Sounds like you are ready to transition into running. Here is how I started:

Began walking for 20 min, followed by running 10 min.
    Eventually ran for 20 min, 30 min etc.
    Every week I'd gradually increase the distance of my runs. Take your time, otherwise you'll get injured.
    Forget speed until you can run 3-5 miles comfortably.

Happy running
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Is the half marathon walking only? Why wouldn't you want to run if that's what your body is doing?
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Best advice. Run a lot. Mostly easy, sometimes hard.

So start out by running easy. It's hard to increase distance and speed at the same time without injury.

Without more info on what your current level of fitness is it would be difficult to give specific advice, but if you can't run x amount of miles without walking, then you're running too fast.

slow it down.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Is there a reason that you are limiting yourself to walking the half-marathon? Is it a requirement of the race?

If not, I'd say to get a half-marathon training program and start working towards your goal. If you're ready to run, then run.

And as far as tempo goes, you want to force yourself to run slow enough that you're comfortable having a conversation. If you're out of breath, you're going too fast. Slow down. Speed comes with time and effort. There's nothing wrong with a slower per mile pace to start with.
  • Thanks guys.

Yes, the reason I am walking it is because its a night time half marathon and so walking it is the required way you're supposed to do it. But i figured trying to jog for at least some of it wouldn't really hurt.

I am still just finding it hard to go slow enough I guess when I am running. I used to do things like long jump and hurdles at school so i'm used to really going for it if i'm trying to run.
    Obviously i'm not going as fast as I can, because I know that's totally wrong for distance running. Its just really hard to tell my body to slow down without then returning to speed walking. And I still don't seem to be getting the hang of that yet.
  • jenlynmil81
    jenlynmil81 Posts: 1 Member
    To help maintain a steady pace that isn't running, try using a treadmill for a few workouts. You can re-train your body what a specific pace feels like, then take it back outside.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Just start jogging for short bursts, 1-2 minutes, at whatever pace feels about one notch slower than comfortable. Walk and recover until you feel a little better, about 1 minute-90s, repeat. Do it on your short runs to start, max a half hour. With time, you work on trimming down the recovery time.