Hey ladies...how did you learn to lift heavy?

I would LOVE to start lifting heavy in the gym. But how did you ladies start? I know form is key. So how did you learn the ropes?

Replies

• hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    I read New Rules of Lifting for Women. Definitely recommend it!

Also, if your gym has any weight training classes (such as Body Pump) that can be a good foundation for getting the very basics of different exercises and techniques.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    google.................seriously!!!

Just go to the gym. Even if you don't have a perfect routine. Just go, you will learn as you go. Make no excuses, just go and do what you can. The list of "what you can" will grow as you progress.
  • RobotMil
    RobotMil Posts: 12 Member
    I got one of the guys working in the gym to show me - but I do go to a weightlifting gym so I trusted them to take me seriously and show me proper form.

Youtube videos work too!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    I got a bar, weights and bench. I skimmed through my husband's copy of Arnold's Bodybuilding Bible. I visited bodybuilding.com, and had my husband show me proper form. I also watch videos on form on muscleandstrength.com and bodybuilding.com.
  • puppy_amor
    puppy_amor Posts: 42 Member
    I just watched lots of different videos on youtube and bodybuilding.com. Mark Rippetoe and stronglifts videos are a great place to start.
  • lkgarza
    lkgarza Posts: 56 Member
    I don't go to a gym, but lift at home and if I had money to invest in equipment, would totally follow Jamie Eason on Bodybuilding.com. There are so many video clips and workout plans.

I am thinking to do P90x or Body Beast though. I have to get my nutrition in line/consistent first or I won't see any results!

Good luck!!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    I first learned in school. Had proper form for the big lifts hammered into me at physio, especially for squats. Getting back into it almost two years ago, I had a trainer to refine form.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Lots of ways to start! New Rules or StrongLifts is a great beginner program. For learning form use YouTube, BodyBuilding.com, & ppl at the gym who know what they're doing :) GOOD LUCK and good for you! Lifting heavy is the best thing I ever did!
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    New Rules and Stronglifts....lots of Youtube watching!
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    I picked one lift to start. Used google, you tube and other gym members to figure out how. Once I was comfortable with the lift I added another, then another. You just have to pick up a weight and go for it!
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Articals... and loads of trial and error! :)
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    I have been following Jamie Eason's LiveFit workout on bodybuilding.com -- I am on week 4 and I highly recommend it!

What I LOVE about it is that I can watch the how to properly do the exercise videos right on my phone. This has totally helped me have confidence at the gym! In fact the other morning some musclehead guy told me I had "nice form" :) Totally made my day!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Actually watching the StrongLifts 5x5 videos got me motivated and started. I watched the form, and it took a lot of the intimidation factor out for me. I watched the different lifts and thought, "hey! I can DO that!" and I could and did and six months later I'm still lifting because I love it so much. (I use youtube for form videos all the time, now, as I don't belong to a gym and have what I need at home.)
  • Kennesaw24
    Kennesaw24 Posts: 50 Member
    YouTube, Buffmother (she's on YouTube), take a CrossFit class -- well worth the $. If you get a good place, they are VERY concerned about form, and if you don't have excellent form lifting heavy, you will hurt yourself and hinder your progress.

But keep up the work because lifting heavy is AWESOME and you will see faster/better results than with anything else.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Read Starting Strength, Basic Barbell Training by Mark Rippetoe

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Stronglifts videos on youtube.
    That and squats with a broom in front of the miror for a while lol :laugh:
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    I first learned in school. Had proper form for the big lifts hammered into me at physio, especially for squats. Getting back into it almost two years ago, I had a trainer to refine form.

This...I learned from high school and a few years back hired a trainer and learned more. I also used Google to find new routines.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Youtube & google.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    I hired a trainer for my 30th birthday. Best money I have ever spent - knowledge is invaluable and I didn't trust teaching myself. May not be for everyone, but I'd pay it all over again.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Ultimately, you will want to get a trainer periodically to check your form, as a few of those "heavy" exercises can really mess you up if done incorrectly . . . Good luck!