Gaining weight with the least amount of food

Replies

• Eat more.

clearly you didn't read anything that she wrote.

try protein shakes! I use them in the morning and they totally help me to get nourishment without getting overly full!

mix a scoop of protein powder, a cup of milk (almond, coconut, or soy will work, too!), and a 1/4 cup of oatmeal for a drink that is quite tasty, healthy, and gives you about 350 calories :)
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    My daughter has always been thin and recently lost way and it freaked her out. She is using this tool to track her food and nutrition. In her case she is doing better as a vegan because she has stomach issues. I saw some of the above suggestions, but here are a few that really help bump up the nutrition and calories:

Fruit smoothies - add ground flax seed(watch quantity per day) and protein powder
    Almond Milk - easier to digest and absorb than regular milk
    Beans
    Try making Zuchini bread or muffins - very dense and high calorie
    Avocado or Guacamoli (no I can't spell) you can use it as a spread on sandwiches
    Humus as a spread instead of mayo - It may not raise calories, but does raise the vitamins

You said you have children so I know time is an issue. If you eat protein bars in addition to meals instead of a substitute it they pack a nutrient calorie punch.

you may need to play around a bit with calories and quantities, but you want to watch the sugar. Too much sugar no matter what is not good, but healthy fats are great. Also look around in Whole foods or Trader Joes, they often have healthier frozen meals that you can easily heat for yourself when your busy.

Good luck! I hope you are able to get your Adrenal issue cleared up. I have a Thyroid issue, sluggish and I remember how I felt when it wasn't working properly. It is not fun.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Since I can't seem to eat the proper amount of calories in a 'normal' manner, I am wondering if anyone can recommend foods to help me get the most bang for my theoretical buck. I only am able to eat small quantities per day, but I what I do eat needs to be more nutrient dense. Any suggestions?
    Try drinking your calories. They give stuff like Ensure to kids and older people who have no appetite and need to gain weight. Find something that tastes good in that vein and go to town on it.

Normally I would say add fat, go for calorically dense things like cheese and potatoes, but I don't know how that works with your appetite. What have your doctors said??
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    It seems a little more clarification is needed on my end. Sorry to leave you all speculating. I can tell my husband. He does know. But I don't want him to worry. I make these elaborate carb laden dinners, and try to eat it but can't. I do this I hopes of him thinking I'm getting better, again because I don't want him to worry. Instead of it seeming like I'm getting better, it makes it appear as if I am just choosing not to eat. Since I crash from too many carbs and limit my portions. I make this kind of food for dinner because we live in Texas and its very very hot. He works on site a lot of the time and I don't want to subject him to my diet of peanut butter and berries. His lifestyle require a lot more caloric intake then mine. For example, I made something I could eat one night -- zucchini pasta with tomatoes and a lemon basil aioli-- and he was still starving. I'm learning a lot from you all and really appreciate the thought most of you have put into your replies. I think if I make little adjustments to our meals, I can still get my calories in smaller portions while still providing nourishing food for my family :) thank you again everyone!!

He was still starving not because of the lack of carbs, but the lack of calories in general. That dish, as you've listed here, looks like it would be leaning more on the carb/protein side of the spectrum, but the most calorie-dense items are the egg yolks and olive oil in the aioli (assuming those are in there), which probably aren't a whole lot if that's the whole meal. It's a very bulky, but relatively low-calorie meal. Add a steak (calorie-dense food) into the meal, and add some fresh mozzarella to the pasta, and he'd be better off.
  • lblert
    lblert Posts: 55
    I saw that someone above mentioned drinking Boost. When I was in treatment for my eating disorder, Boost is what they gave us if we didn't eat our food. It is definitely a decent way to get calories in without eating. There is even a Boost with double calories where you get more bang for your buck. Chocolate and vanilla are actually pretty good tasting.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Loss of appetite is really challenging. I can remember my mom struggling with this as she was going through chemo. There are appetite stimulant drugs that your doctor might consider if this goes on for a prolonged time. My mom had to take these. And of course, there is another option, though I suspect it's illegal in Texas. Anyway, good, good luck with this. I have a cousin with Addison's, and she did recover completely when her medication was settled, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Heavy cream, olive oil, nuts, pasta.. fettucini alfredo- eat one Olive Garden serving and you've got yourself 2000 calories right there...
    Just judging from your post I would think you may have an eating disorder. No one feels stuffed on 500 calories a day whether it be an adrenal, thyroid or cortisone deficiency. If you wanted to you could eat relatively little and hit 800 in one sitting without any effort. You can drink one shake with whole milk and will be over 600. I get the feeling you being restrictive by choice. There are plenty of low GI carbs packed with calories..
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Try meal replacement shakes. I've seen Orgain, Boost, etc on top of eating whatever meals you can. You are eating less than 1/4 what you need to gain weight. You simply are not nourishing your body either. I know what it's like to have a severe loss in appetite because it happened to me last year. Plug your nose and down the hatch it goes with the shakes.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    [/quote]

Find things that you like that are full of fat and/or starch and sugar. Use lots of oils while cooking, if you can.

Don't buy lean cuts of meat. If you're currently eating chicken, try to switch to beef or pork.

Are you more likely to drink than eat? Make some sort of shake that has a fair amount of sugar in it, along with some vegetables for vitamins and nutrients, and drink that instead of water.

potatoes, potatoes, potatoes. load 'em up with butter, bacon, sour cream, whatever.

If you like chocolate, add a piece after every meal. Or ice cream... the full-fat stuff. Or milkshakes with whole milk, if that's more appealing.

A big bagel with cream cheese in the morning could be good for almost 500 calories.

Look for foods that are "portable" so you can move them place-to-place with you during the day... that way you're not tied down to the meal table in order to eat...you can just eat wherever you are.

Good luck. It's not easy to have to force yourself to do something you have no desire to do. Think of eating the way the rest of us think about exercise: "I may not feel like doing it right now, but I know I have to, it's good for me. Here we go."
    [/quote]

"This"
    Focus on calorie dence food. Much the way we do for preschoolers because they can't fit a large volume of food in their stomachs.
    I would also recommend seeing a registered dietician for help. Optimim nutrition is essential when your eating so little. The tiredness you describe is most like attributed to low calorie intake and poor nutrition.
  • Stary714
    Stary714 Posts: 110 Member
    My grandpa is older now and he doesn't have much of an appetite but we've found that the drink 'Ensure' helps him keep up his weight. I couldn't tell you much about the nutritional benefits tho...

Also, a few years ago my friend found out about a gluten intolerance she had and her mother fed her Boost. She was always under weight and I think that helped her. It was also a little bit funny because I was always a fat child and becides the weight difference we looked like we could of been sister :P

Boost Plus is 8 ounces and 360 calories and provides nutritional benefits: http://www.boost.com/nutritional-drinks/boost-plus

Ensure Plus is pretty much the same thing. 350 calories in 8 ounces: http://ensure.com/products/ensure-plus-retail

Hope I helped :)
  • Sorry, a bit late to the party on this one.

Have you looked at any sites/books/etc for the Atkins or South Beach diets? Since carbs are your problem you could probably get a lot of ideas for foods and recipes with low carbs that won't make you crash.

As for dinner situation - try choosing meals where you can easily substitute your side for something low carb. So for the chicken fried steak example, go ahead and bread his portion but just pan sear/fry with no breading your portion. You don't necessarily need the gravy, do one potato for him and spaghetti squash and tons of veggies for you. It may take a few extra minutes to plan and an extra pot or two while cooking, but it'll be better than not eating or eating then crashing, especially until you and your endo doc get you on the right dosage of meds.

I'm sorry you're going through this. *hugs*

This is a great idea! I love to cook, so a little extra work won't be too much trouble :) and my doctor did recommend diets such as the south beach one, but I'm not very familiar with its guidelines. I assume it's an atkins-esque low carb high protein regimine?

Thank you for your help :)
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    As Dragonwolf suggested, setting a timer would be a very good idea to remind you to eat. Doing a day's meal plan in advance, with what to eat every 1 1/2 to 2 hours when your timer goes off already organized will help. Even if you can only manage to eat 1/2 of what you'd intended, it is still an improvement on having eaten nothing. Cutting the mountain down to manageable mouthfuls, with perseverance and commitment, will help you see results.
  • As Dragonwolf suggested, setting a timer would be a very good idea to remind you to eat. Doing a day's meal plan in advance, with what to eat every 1 1/2 to 2 hours when your timer goes off already organized will help. Even if you can only manage to eat 1/2 of what you'd intended, it is still an improvement on having eaten nothing. Cutting the mountain down to manageable mouthfuls, with perseverance and commitment, will help you see results.

Yes! I meant to respond to that post as well. I think that will help me at least keep track of time. It's easy to let six hours go by without even realizing I haven't eaten. The meal plan is an excellent addition to that thought as well. Maybe I'll pre make some snacks/meals to increase convenience. Thank you for your suggestion :))
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Funny. I'm trying to lose weight while eating the most amount of food possible.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    How about drinking an Ensure shake at least once a day along with whatever else you are eating? Or could you see a nutritionist to help you determine what to eat?
  • Hmmm sounds like Addison's, well anyway maybe you can add protein mix-- hmmm better yet maybe this something you should work out with your doctor and his nutritionist....BEST WISHES LUV : )
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Pixie sticks
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Heavy cream, olive oil, nuts, pasta.. fettucini alfredo- eat one Olive Garden serving and you've got yourself 2000 calories right there...
    Just judging from your post I would think you may have an eating disorder. No one feels stuffed on 500 calories a day whether it be an adrenal, thyroid or cortisone deficiency. If you wanted to you could eat relatively little and hit 800 in one sitting without any effort. You can drink one shake with whole milk and will be over 600. I get the feeling you being restrictive by choice. There are plenty of low GI carbs packed with calories..

Two words - Addison's Disease.

One of the major symptoms is loss of appetite and inability to digest food. If your body isn't digesting food properly, then you're not going to be hungry very often, if at all. There are also many medications that will kill one's appetite, screw with the sense of smell (thus also screwing with the appeal of food), and make one physically ill if they eat more than a small amount or eat certain types of food. So if she's on any medication, that could exacerbating the issue.

So no, she isn't necessarily being restrictive by choice.
  • Heavy cream, olive oil, nuts, pasta.. fettucini alfredo- eat one Olive Garden serving and you've got yourself 2000 calories right there...

Two words - Addison's Disease.

One of the major symptoms is loss of appetite and inability to digest food. If your body isn't digesting food properly, then you're not going to be hungry very often, if at all. There are also many medications that will kill one's appetite, screw with the sense of smell (thus also screwing with the appeal of food), and make one physically ill if they eat more than a small amount or eat certain types of food. So if she's on any medication, that could exacerbating the issue.

So no, she isn't necessarily being restrictive by choice.

Thaaaank you! I haven't been responding to people who are obviously not reading the post thoughroughly (to put it nicely) ;)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Get really creative with smoothies. Use heavy cream instead of whole milk. Use the highest fat ice cream. Add protein powder to it.

Here's a shake:

4 ounces heavy whipping cream
    1/2 cup high fat ice cream, any flavor (hubs liked chocolate), left to melt a bit, but still frozen
    3TBSP flax seed, ground immediately before putting it in the blender
    40 grams ground cashews
    2 scoops muscle milk powder

It's over 1200 calories in a 12 ounce glass. Add 2 tbsp peanut butter and there's another huge punch of calories.

95 grams of fat
    51 grams protein
    71% vitamin A
    58% iron
    78% calcium

ETA, you might need to add a little milk to thin it.