How do you fit your exercise around work?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Re: exercise

I'm not a morning person ..... so I exercise after work. Initially I started with a small goal ....90 minutes a week. Surely, I could find 1/2 hour 3 times a week. After 90 minutes became routine.... then I added more time, and more time. Now, it's a regular thing. People around you will anticipate that it's your workout time ..... they will tend to leave you alone after awhile.

Start with something simple.... walking, calisthenics, body weight exercises, whatever. Just focus on being consistant. Before too long you won't have to "schedlue" your workouts.... they will just be a part of your normal daily routine.

If joining a gym will help you become consistant..... look for a trial offer of some kind. Try it out and see if it's for you.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Put it on your schedule, and then just do it.
  • I can only agree with more than half of the replies. You have to find your time. For me, like many here, it is in the morning. I wake at 5:50 and am in the gym by 6:10 at the latest. home by 7:10, just as my wife finishes in the bathroom. Shower, shave & dress; make a protein shake for breakfast and off to work. I find the mornings best for me, as I am usually dog tired after work.

Remember, it takes 3 weeks to make a habit. Set out to go once, then for one week and so on. I can assure you, once you find what works for you, it gets easier.

Regarding finding the time; I heard this somewhere a week or two back: "If you can name even one contestant on Americas (feel free to insert country of choice) got talent, you have the time to exercise."

Good luck :happy:
  • I work FT and have learned that the easiest way for me to get to the gym to workout is to scheulde it just like any other appointment. I have it on my calendar at work so I see it EVERY day. I also try not to bail on the gym if friends call and want to make plans; since it is an appointment and I am now conscious of it, I make plans for after I am done at the gym when I can. Once you get into the habit/routine that work for you, you just have to keep at it and it will become one of those things that is just the way it is.
  • mmg0327
    mmg0327 Posts: 29
    Like many others here, I get up early to work out 3-4 days a week depending on what I'm doing at work that week. I'm on my feet most of the day and my job can get really physical, so if i know I've got an extra busy week ahead I try to shift my workouts to the weekend. I'm doing couch to 5k, which isn't easy, but doesn't require any equipment or going to a gym.

I get up at 5:00 eat a small bowl of muesli (if I work out on an empty stomach I feel like I'm going to hurl) and I'm out the door by 5:15, jog/walk for 30-40mins, then shower, eat the rest of my breakfast, and leave for work at 7:30.

What has kept me on track is prepping everything for myself the night before: I get my breakfast assembled (usually when I'm packing my lunch for the next day), lay out my jogging clothes and my work clothes, set my iPod to the right playlist etc. so I can be up and out as quick as possible. I also seem to have a lot more energy overall the days that I jog, so that's a pretty big motivating factor to get me out of bed so early.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    I schedule it in like an appointment. I'm not available during that time.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    I get up at 4:10 to be at the gym by 4:30.

Don't really have tips or "easy" exercises. Either you want it or not, IMHO.

/thread

he nailed it. creating momentum is key.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I'm a person that prefers to sleep as late as possible and would rather stay up later, if needed. So I exercise after I get home from work.

I would usually get home, cook dinner, eat dinner, prep lunches for the next day, relax with the hubby for a bit, go work out, home, shower, bed.

But since the hubby had been in rehearsals for this last round of training I've been coming home, working out, cooking dinner, eating dinner, showering, prepping lunches, relaxing a bit, then going to bed.

As for the exercises, if they were easy, I probably wouldn't be bothering. No point in putting in the time and sweat if it's not worth it. I take that time each day to go work as hard as I can.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    I go after work. After a stressful day of work an hour in the gym is the perfect cure.

This is exactly what I was going to say! I work out right after work. No sitting down to read mail, no resting, no stopping for anything. I hit the door, change clothes, and work out. Pretty much everything else waits until I am finished with my workout.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    I go after work. After a stressful day of work an hour in the gym is the perfect cure.

I totally agree...I actually work out in the morning just to get myself going for the day and once I'm out of work
    I can't wait to get to the gym and work out all my frustrations:smile:
    definitely a major stress reliever!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    I get up at 4:10 to be at the gym by 4:30.

Don't really have tips or "easy" exercises. Either you want it or not, IMHO.

This

I wake up at 5am just so I have time to hit the gym before work
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    I too changed from an evening workout to morning. I wasn't consistent in the evenings. After a week of my alarm going off at 5 and hitting the snooze a few times I now get right up, work out, and get to work early. I get more work done early (working out and "work-work"), feel better, and get to leave work and get home earlier.
    Just do it!
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Find something you enjoy doing and that's fairly convenient for you. I used to run, but have found things I like even more, and sometimes I actually look forward to getting up early--just me and my workout.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Hi,

I'm looking to lose 30lbs before christmas and to do this I have completely cut out all bad snacking, fried goods and carbs in the evenings. I also want to start doing more exercise but I'm finding it really hard to motivate myself before and after work. Does anyone have any tips or easy exercises that they can suggest?

First of all, losing weight is 90% in the kitchen. It has nothing to do with working out. Working out helps, but if you aren't measuring and weighing the right foods it won't work.

Secondly, if you truly want to lose 30lbs and you want to exercise then find the motivation. Everyone has the same 24 hours in the day. The only difference between success and failure is what we do with those 24 hours. I personally, had to start getting up at 4:30 or 5:00 in the morning. However, we also need 7 to 8 hours of sleep in either to stay healthy. It helps with weight loss and also in work out recovery. Because of that I have also made the choice to go to bed at 8:30 to 9:00 at night.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    as soon as you get home, put your gym strip on. Make supper, do the tidy up and then get going. I also put a goal date on the wall next to the elliptical (Aug 31 2014). Remember how awesome you feel after a good sweat. Take your dog for a walk because the poor baby has been laying in the house all day. Tell someone your intentions, that way you can't flake out.
  • AccioHotBod
    AccioHotBod Posts: 44 Member
    I don't really know how to make it any easier...you just have to plan for it and hold yourself accountable.
    I wake up at 5AM for cardio before work, and then I go around 9PM to lift weights.
    Repeat.
  • mommysockmonkey
    mommysockmonkey Posts: 88 Member
    You just make time. I wake up at 6 in the morning do breakfasts for me my BF and two kids, lunches, get the kids ready, get myself ready, commute to work, work, pick up my kids, commute home, cook dinner, eat dinner and feed my kids, bathe my kids, feed my little one a bottle and lay her down by 8. I then work out from 8-9pm, put my older one to bed and read him a story directly after, take a shower and finally sit down by 9:30pm. Anything worth doing is usually a pain in the *kitten*. Good luck!

Too funny! This sounds exactly like my schedule. Then, at 9:30 I clean up dinner, pack lunches for the next day and maybe throw in a load of laundry. I'd work out in the morning but it seems like every time I try my 8 month old wants to get up really early.
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    I'm not a morning person and I like to have my evenings to do what I want to do so I joined a gym close to my work. I have an hour lunch break tho. so I work out about 40-45 min on my lunch. then i have a free night i might go then instead or both.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Just do it. Make it every bit the priority that work is.

I walk on my morning & afternoon breaks. I walk on my lunch hour. I go home, make dinner, clean up the house and go to the park for my bike ride. Then I go to the gym for my treadmill or weight routine.

If something comes up and I miss the gym, at least I've walked during the day.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    I walk @ work, 2 -3 times a day during the "smoking" (no I don't) breaks. I can net almost a mile on each trip, I walk fast too (3.5-4mph) so it adds up.

Or hit the gym afterwork, I hate going becuase it's a drive & a pain, but I do.