Are my macros adequate

Options
Jonasoi
Jonasoi Posts: 8
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I'm finding it difficult to understand the whole macro percentages, I've come to realize is wayyyy harder than I though, I been eating "healthy" for the last 3 months and working out at the gym, I went from a size 36 in pants to a loose fit size 32. And once I got to the body type (slim) I was aiming for I tried bulking on it. I've gain quite some muscle all around. But now I seem to be stuck on the same spot. Which is why I decide to give macros a shot. I decided to start of on a macro setting that seemed to be a good starting point for my self. I'm at 150 lbs 5'10'' 23 years old . My macro setting is at
60% carbs 15% fat 25% protein (I did a whole calculation thing with my body weight , what my daily calorie intake should be, which should be at 2900 to maintain my weight but I bumped it to 3200 since I work out 3-5 days a week )
that's for my work out days on my rest days I would usually lower my carb intake and my protein intake and go higher on my fat intake just a bit .
So with all this being said am I off to a good start ???? If I don't see much of a difference in a month I will change my macros nd play with the numbers a bit.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would set protein to around 150g, fat to about 60g, and try to hit those targets. Remaining calories into carbohydrates to reach your calorie goal.

If you have greater dietary adherence by going slightly lower in protein, you can probably get away with 125g and be fine with calories being in a surplus -- but it should be very very easy to meet or exceed that given all the calories you'll be eating.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would agree with Sidesteel, and would like to add that the 60g of fat should be seen as a minimum, not a target or a maximum. Fat is quite important for many reasons, much more so than carbs.
  • Jonasoi
    Options
    I would set protein to around 150g, fat to about 60g, and try to hit those targets. Remaining calories into carbohydrates to reach your calorie goal.

If you have greater dietary adherence by going slightly lower in protein, you can probably get away with 125g and be fine with calories being in a surplus -- but it should be very very easy to meet or exceed that given all the calories you'll be eating.

This is what i started with, so I am not to far from what you are recommending, since I'm just figuring out the good foods to eat should I change it or leave it as is? Thanks for your help guys !
    Fat: 60
    Protein: 165
    Carbs 599
  • mud7urtle
    mud7urtle Posts: 500
    Options
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

this helped me so much!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

This is what i started with, so I am not to far from what you are recommending, since I'm just figuring out the good foods to eat should I change it or leave it as is? Thanks for your help guys !
    Carbs 599

Since you don't have much logging history in MFP my only concern is whether or not you actually know that you can maintain on the listed intake of 2900, or did you assume you can maintain on 2900 because that's what the estimation calculator told you? If it's the latter, then I'd actually start with calories a bit lower and see what your bodyweight does.

What you just listed was 3600 calories and I would suspect you will gain weight way too fast on that intake.

Up to you how you handle your total calorie intake but you're better off slowly increasing calories until you start gaining to find the sweet spot. Depending on a number of variables (how trained you are vs new to lifting being a major one) a good rate of weight gain will probably fall between 2 and 4 lbs / month.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    1g protein/lb of lean mass and .5g/lb of GOAL body weight and the rest in carbs is what I would do. With 3200 calories, 60g of fat would be really hard to stick to IMO.
  • Jonasoi
    Options

That's actually what I used to get my macros haha
  • Jonasoi
    Options

Carbs 599

Since you don't have much logging history in MFP my only concern is whether or not you actually know that you can maintain on the listed intake of 2900, or did you assume you can maintain on 2900 because that's what the estimation calculator told you? If it's the latter, then I'd actually start with calories a bit lower and see what your bodyweight does.

What you just listed was 3600 calories and I would suspect you will gain weight way too fast on that intake.

Up to you how you handle your total calorie intake but you're better off slowly increasing calories until you start gaining to find the sweet spot. Depending on a number of variables (how trained you are vs new to lifting being a major one) a good rate of weight gain will probably fall between 2 and 4 lbs / month.

I been trying to not go pass what I set my calories to on my rest days I try to get as close as I can to the calorie intake on workout days, but increasing my calories a bit at a time sounds much easier than trying to catch keep up with 3200 cal intake thanks for that tip!
  • Jonasoi
    Options
    Yeah it is hard actually but I'm still trying Tonget the hang of it , hopefully soon ill be able to work with my food intake and exercise
  • Jonasoi
    Options
    Yeah it is hard actually but I'm still trying To get the hang of it , hopefully soon ill be able to work with my food intake and exercise
  • mud7urtle
    mud7urtle Posts: 500
    Options

I forgot that MFP doesn't let you do custom percentages.. my bad on that one lol

but

The estimated TDEE I got for you was 2460 working out 5x a week at 150 bw.

My video recommends no lower than .4g fat per lb on any bulking macros. Here is what I came up with

Recommended Macros:

carbs 427.5

protein 187.5

fat 60

Total cals: 3000

as side steel said.. if the scale isnt moving - just bump carbs until it does.
  • Jonasoi
    Options

I forgot that MFP doesn't let you do custom percentages.. my bad on that one lol

but

The estimated TDEE I got for you was 2460 working out 5x a week at 150 bw.

My video recommends no lower than .4g fat per lb on any bulking macros. Here is what I came up with

Recommended Macros:

carbs 427.5

protein 187.5

fat 60

Total cals: 3000

as side steel said.. if the scale isnt moving - just bump carbs until it does.
    I got a messed up work schedule so I'm getting in about 3-4 days max of work out days for now but Ill give this one a shot and then see how that works out for me if not ill Justus's around with the numbers a bit...by the way what should i eat to get fiber ?
This discussion has been closed.