Runners, when does running become enjoyable?

I'm working on a C25K program, and I've just started week 4. I have compromised lung function, but the intense aerobic exercise is making it better-my lung function was up to 83% from 74% at the last office visit! And the extra cardio is definitely making it easier for me to lose weight. So, this has done good things for me. But here's the thing. At present, I really don't like running. It feels grueling. It also hurts my hip and my knee right now, though as my weight goes down that may change. At what point in your training, if ever, did you start to actually enjoy running?

Replies

• smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    I had to stop C25K last year because I got shin splints that would not go away. I also was a runner at one point in my life a few years ago (30 miles a week-ish), but I only did it because runners always seem skinny, and I figured if I were a runner, I would be too. (I never did get skinny). If you're already experiencing hip and knee pain, STOP RUNNING! You could easily turn those issues into permanent problems. Don't get me wrong, I don't think running is evil/bad/etc, and I wish I was someone who loved it, but don't think you *have* to run in order to improve your cardiovascular fitness and lose weight, especially while experiencing joint pain.

There are sooo many other ways of getting in cardio. Rowing, swimming, biking, skating, Zumba, kettlebells, etc.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    I'm working on a C25K program, and I've just started week 4. I have compromised lung function, but the intense aerobic exercise is making it better-my lung function was up to 83% from 74% at the last office visit! And the extra cardio is definitely making it easier for me to lose weight. So, this has done good things for me. But here's the thing. At present, I really don't like running. It feels grueling. It also hurts my hip and my knee right now, though as my weight goes down that may change. At what point in your training, if ever, did you start to actually enjoy running?

I started to enjoy it when I finished that 20 minute run in week 5. I wanted to pass out, but I felt like a frickin' bad-*kitten*, because I never thought I could ever be a runner.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    When I'm finished and I crack open the first beer
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    I started C25K last year and have completed now some 10k runs. I have only started to enjoy running since I changed from just running to training with fartleks (speed bursts). I always felt out of breath and never thought I would get fit. Now I feel better and can run!
    Be patient with the C25K then move on to B210K if you want to improve. It takes a long time for your body to adjust but you CAN get there!
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Hmm. Beer might actually help.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    The best part of running for me?

The moment I finish. Honest. The sense of accomplishment every time I go longer or faster than the time before. Yup, it's like a drug. I have been known to fist pump in the middle of the street when I accomplish a new PB. (Tuesday when I ran 6k straight through and this morning when I ran 7 of my 9k straight through.....fist pumps for both baby!)

In regards to your knee and hip pain, before throwing in the towel on running, please make sure that you are wearing proper shoes. Like go to a store and get fitted for actual running shoes. Also, make sure your pace is one that is sustainable. I always find that if I start going bat *kitten* crazy on my pace that my right hip flexor screams at me. Another thing that could help is foam rolling after you are done your run.

And beer does also help....I'm enjoying an ice cold Chelada right now :bigsmile:
  • For me: when hell freezes over
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    I just finished week 3 and while I dont find it FUN, I do find it less absolutely awful than I did on day 1. I am hoping that as I continue building stamina and drop some more weight, it will become more fun.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    When I'm finished and I crack open the first beer

This ^^
  • AbbeyDove

In regards to your knee and hip pain, before throwing in the towel on running, please make sure that you are wearing proper shoes. Like go to a store and get fitted for actual running shoes. Also, make sure your pace is one that is sustainable. I always find that if I start going bat *kitten* crazy on my pace that my right hip flexor screams at me. Another thing that could help is foam rolling after you are done your run.

And beer does also help....I'm enjoying an ice cold Chelada right now :bigsmile:

Oh, I'm not throwing in the towel! I was just hoping to hear there's light at the end of the tunnel. I signed up for a 5K, and I'll be damned if I'm going to miss it, short of significant injury. I assume some (mild) pain may come with most new activities, and I'm hopeful that it'll ease back. However, your point about decent running shoes . . . well, let's just say point taken. I have no idea when I last got new shoes, and they surely weren't specifically intended for running.

And a fist pump to you!
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    I am not doing C25k, but I started running 3.5 weeks ago. I still HATE it! It is the most mental form of exercise I have ever done. I signed up for a 4k to challenge myself and do something different. I am super active and do tons of cardio. Running is way harder in my mind than on my body. My body is strong enough to keep going, after about 1.5 miles my mind say "Ugh! I want to stop!". That is when the right song comes into play. I have found a few to keep me going. When I complete my goal though - it is the best feeling in the world!

Now, it sounds like maybe yours may actually be an issue with your body handling the impact running offers and not your mind. You need to listen to your body. If it hurts, take a break. Stay on the same week for one more week. No shame in that! You are doing more than most people by just moving!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member

Oh, I'm not throwing in the towel! I was just hoping to hear there's light at the end of the tunnel. I signed up for a 5K, and I'll be damned if I'm going to miss it, short of significant injury. I assume some (mild) pain may come with most new activities, and I'm hopeful that it'll ease back. However, your point about decent running shoes . . . well, let's just say point taken. I have no idea when I last got new shoes, and they surely weren't specifically intended for running.

And a fist pump to you!

Cheers to beer, and not throwing in the towel. Just wanted to say that the right running shoes are a must and will go a long way to alleviating pain. Don't be shocked if they are 100$+, they are totally worth it.

As far as when it gets enjoyable, well, there are two ways to enjoy running. Physically, and psychologically. Rarely do I have a run that feels great in both respects (and to be clear, I adore running). Sometimes you get a run that sucks all around. If you are struggling with the physicality, enjoy the mental treats you get from overcoming obstacles and meeting goals. If you continually hate it on both fronts, find a different kind of exercise that you enjoy.
  • runninghealthy
    runninghealthy Posts: 21 Member
    I was one of those people who never enjoyed running when I was younger - I struggled with running the mile in elementary school, finished after everyone else, etc. Joined track for one month or so, and then quit...

I would go running a few times while in college, wanting to enjoy it, but even though it made me feel more fit, I never really got into it in a way that made me want to continue.

For me, everything changed when I really gave myself a goal, a lot more knowledge, and permission to take the time to improve! My husband was a marathon runner, and I joked with him one time that a marathon might be a good training goal for me, and he very seriously told me to consider it. I bought the Non-Runners Marathon Trainer (GREAT book!), and started from the basics. (they use a plan very similar to C25K to get you up to the point of being able to run for 30 minutes steadily before you begin the actual training with mileage). I also signed up for a marathon, 8 months away, to make sure I had it as a goal.

Really since this decision everything has changed for me. My runs were working towards something, rather than just being done because I felt I "should" so that I'd be "more fit." I had set backs, and weeks where I felt like I couldn't keep up with the training, but I kept going, and at some point it just clicked. I roll out of bed at 5:30am four days a week, don't even feel like pressing snooze anymore, strap on my shoes, and hit the running trail, and I LOVE every run! I'm starting double-digit long runs now (have my first 10-miler tomorrow), and the feeling of accomplishment as I finish each one is so great!

So, I'd say, stick with it, give yourself something to work towards, that you can be excited about, and give yourself permission to start slow, and to improve! I felt like I had to run 10 minute miles or faster when I started, now I've backed off to about 12 minute miles, and the runs are SO much more enjoyable, and I actually feel stronger! Just be kind to yourself, and let it be fun!
  • I started to enjoy it when I got rid of those stupid running shoes with inch-thick outsoles and huge heels (virtually guaranteeing that I heel-strike and end up like everyone else with shin splints and wasted knees) and started running in minimalist running shoes. That day I said goodbye to recurring tendonitis and collapsed arches.

I started cycling between my Nikes and a pair of five-fingers and have since moved on to Merrell Barefoots and VivoBarefoot Achilles. Now I'm running 10Ks and half-maras completely pain free.
  • When you stop worrying and start running.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    About 15-20 minutes into the run. I'm only up to about 30-40 minutes running with some walking mixed in, but yeah, it starts feeling good after about 15-20 minutes. Having the right music makes a world of difference to me. And the right shoes and thin enough socks... I wear minimalist (but not FFS -- Merrell Barefoots like the poster above) and that makes a big difference.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    I've been running regularly for about 10 years. Sometimes it still sucks. A lot of the time, after I warm up for a mile or so, then I'm good to go. And then there are times, especially when I'm trail running, that it's so much fun I don't ever want to stop.

But even the worst run - when I'm done - feels better than not having run at all.
  • AbbeyDove
    Huh. Ok, now looking up minimalist running shoes. Didn't even know they were used for running. I thought minimalist shoes were more for weightlifting! Hey, does anyone have any recommendations for places to look for pain-free or low injury running tips? I've read Chi Running, but it's not entirely clicking.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Disclaimer: *I AM NOT A RUNNER*

never. running is the bane of my existence.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    I totally hear you, OP. I used to run track in high school and enjoyed it, so I decided to try C25K for the first time yesterday. Yeah...it was a real reminder of just how long ago high school was. I probably could use new shoes too.
    Keep getting out there though. I know it will get easier for you.