Will loosing weight get me a job

I had a job interview today and ended up chatting about how I've lost weight. The interviewer had been trying to lose weight herself and asked how I did it. We both seemed to bond and chat for a while over it. Anyway I'm hoping she's thinking "if I give her the job she'll help me lose weight"
It got me thinking though, I've had a few interviews and wondered if me being overweight stopped me getting a job.

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Yes, unfortunately there is prejudice against overweight and obese people in hiring practices.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Probably not, but correct spelling would help--lose weight, losing weight--not loose.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    I don't think they test spelling in most job interviews..

I think losing weight makes finding a job much easier.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Probably not, but correct spelling would help--lose weight, losing weight--not loose.

Thank you for educating me and your input on the subject was most informative.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Sorry, I'm a teacher an that is one of my pet peeves. I apologize for being rude.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    The short answer is yes - losing weight will make you more likely to get a job.

The reasons are varied. One is that it might make YOU more confident in yourself, and therefore make you more likely to come across well at an interview.

Another reason is that, for whatever reason, the human race MUCH prefers to put faith in people who take care of themselves. Think about it - if you need someone highly motivated to do a job, you would prefer to hire somebody who can look after themselves, as it would indicate that they have the motivation to achieve their aims. Whether rightly or wrongly, consciously or subconsciously, this is what people think.

Final reason that I will mention - humans are much more likely to bond with, and therefore want to hire, people who they find physically attractive. I'm not talking "really fancy, want to rip clothes off" fancy, but the sort of subconscious "this guy/girl would make nice, healthy babies" attractive. This is more likely if you're a normal, healthy weight.

--

Whether we like it or not, we all make judgements on people based on what we see. Unfortunately it's what we, as a race, do best.

I have noticed that since reaching my goal in Dec 2012 people have treated me differently. I can't tell how much it's because of how I look or how much it's to do with the confidence that I now have in myself, but either way it's true.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Hmm. I definitely think it can depending on the career. Especially if its something high paying with a lot of responsibility.

I am going to say this and i know this is absolutely terrible... and i dont want to offend anyone either.

When i see someone who is obese and is not actively trying to correct that i automatically think:
    1.) they've probably got some unresolved issues in their life which they haven't worked through.
    2.) they have no respect for themselves or their bodies. how can i respect them?
    3.) they are probably lazy/unwilling to work hard towards a goal.

I know that sounds absolutely awful... and i understand that is COMPLETELY not the case in every situation. I think i just automatically look at people who are very very overweight as one would look at someone who comes into an interview in sweatpants.

*runs and hides because i'm ashamed at how judgemental that is*
  • Studies have shown the people like to hire people who are "like them"

So this might be tricky.

If the hiring person is thinking "I'm trying to lose weight and this person is on my same wavelength" then that's a big plus.

If however the hiring person is thinking "This person is better at losing weight than I am; I wonder how else they will be better than me". Well that might just be the kiss of death.
  • Hmm. I definitely think it can depending on the career. Especially if its something high paying with a lot of responsibility.

I am going to say this and i know this is absolutely terrible... and i dont want to offend anyone either.

When i see someone who is obese and is not actively trying to correct that i automatically think:
    1.) they've probably got some unresolved issues in their life which they haven't worked through.
    2.) they have no respect for themselves or their bodies. how can i respect them?

I know that sounds absolutely awful... and i understand that is COMPLETELY not the case in every situation. I think i just automatically look at people who are very very overweight as one would look at someone who comes into an interview in sweatpants.

I can definitely relate to your first bullet point. That's what I think about me when i look in the mirror. And that's how I tend to look at other overweight people.

Thanks for your honesty.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Yes, unfortunately there is prejudice against overweight and obese people in hiring practices.

This is a very sad truth.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    There is a prejudice, especially if you're morbidly obese and not just sort of heavy, BUT...your qualifications are a hell of a lot more important than your weight.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Hmm. I definitely think it can depending on the career. Especially if its something high paying with a lot of responsibility.

I'll own up and say that I agree with this. I've noticed myself reading success story posts and thinking that a guy, in his before picture looked like a truck driver/warehouse guy. (My husband is a warehouse guy--there's nothing wrong with being a warehouse guy--please don't think I'm insulting warehouse guys!) Then in the after picture, the guy looks like a CFO or tech salesperson. I've really noticed this as I wonder--what expectations would I have for this "before" person, and what expectations would I have for this "after" person? It's amazing the difference. I don't think we're alone in seeing this--maybe just in admitting it!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member

I was going to say the same thing. Spell check everything when applying!

On topic, I do believe there can be some prejudice against obese people when it comes to getting hired. But it really just depends on the person/company doing the hiring. Being overweight does not mean you're destined to be unemployed.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Another reason you might not get the job because you are overweight is because the way insurance is now, employers have to pay more to insure overweight people.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Unfortunately it matters especially for women the higher you go. There aren't too many fat female CEOs out there.

The confidence thing is bunk. There are many insecure non-confident thin people who look attractive. They will get the job over a confident fat person.

Spelling is important when I hire. Misspelled resumes and cover letters get pitched in the bin.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I don't think they test spelling in most job interviews..

I think losing weight makes finding a job much easier.

I read the resumes for hiring for my team at work and trust me when I say that spelling most definitely counts. As does a properly formatted resume, written with proper grammar. If a person can't get their resume resume right, which they've had all the time they needed to get it absolutely perfect, then how could I ever expect them to perform well in a high work volume environment that involves written communication with vendors and copy that ends up on our company website? A resume with spelling and/or grammatical errors rarely makes it past the review stage.

But if the person makes it past the resume review and the phone screen, weight has never once played a part in any hiring decisions I have ever made.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Oh, and one of the women that I hired a few years ago, who happens to be obese, is also now my team lead and would be the next person in line for my position if/when I move up. Because she's the best at the job, had aspirations for growth, the rest of the team respected her and her knowledge before she was ever in the lead position, and she's an overall awesome person that everyone in the company loves.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member

I was going to say the same thing. Spell check everything when applying!

On topic, I do believe there can be some prejudice against obese people when it comes to getting hired. But it really just depends on the person/company doing the hiring. Being overweight does not mean you're destined to be unemployed.

Yeah spell check recognises loose and lose so wouldn't really work here.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    I don't think anecdotal evidence holds much weight, but I know losing weight has helped my brother extremely. He was in the sales field, out of work for awhile, did some interviews, is a really engaging/smart guy but was getting nothing. Then he got hired at some job he hates.

We both started losing weight around the same time, once he hit 100lbs down he was suddenly awash in opportunities. An old boss saw him one day, was blown away about the change and they met for dinner - bam job offer from ex boss' old friend. Another guy was at his work - asked him how the hell he could stand working with his tool co-worker and offered him a sales job. Lastly, he picked a client up at his current work, and after a 20 minute drive..got a job offer.

This is all the same month after his 100lb weight loss mark.

He is still the same guy - great at sales, charming, funny and engaging - but at 100lbs smaller - people take way more notice. YMMV of course, but that is one example of how it has helped him.
  • vale_m624
    vale_m624 Posts: 33 Member
    - That is very true, it's unfortunate but very true.